It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm
Posts: 17598
pizza_Place: 6 characters
Over the weekend my wife and I started ripping up the old linoleum tile in our kitchen. House was built in the 1920s, but not sure when this tile was installed. The original hardwood is underneath, but since the previous owners laid the tile over the hardwood we now have black tile glue to remove.

This morning during a Google search to learn about the best way to remove said glue, I start seeing the word "asbestos." So obviously I think I am going to die now.

What are my options to get this shit off the flooring? One quote I received was $170 to test for asbestos, then roughly $1600 to remove it if the test is positive.

Is this something we could DIY, since, you know, we're obviously going to die now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:03 pm
Posts: 33621
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Over the weekend my wife and I started ripping up the old linoleum tile in our kitchen. House was built in the 1920s, but not sure when this tile was installed. The original hardwood is underneath, but since the previous owners laid the tile over the hardwood we now have black tile glue to remove.

This morning during a Google search to learn about the best way to remove said glue, I start seeing the word "asbestos." So obviously I think I am going to die now.

What are my options to get this shit off the flooring? One quote I received was $170 to test for asbestos, then roughly $1600 to remove it if the test is positive.

Is this something we could DIY, since, you know, we're obviously going to die now?

Move.

_________________
I AM FASCINATED BY TALL MIDGET.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:23 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:45 pm
Posts: 15507
Location: Lovetron
pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Over the weekend my wife and I started ripping up the old linoleum tile in our kitchen. House was built in the 1920s, but not sure when this tile was installed. The original hardwood is underneath, but since the previous owners laid the tile over the hardwood we now have black tile glue to remove.

This morning during a Google search to learn about the best way to remove said glue, I start seeing the word "asbestos." So obviously I think I am going to die now.

What are my options to get this shit off the flooring? One quote I received was $170 to test for asbestos, then roughly $1600 to remove it if the test is positive.

Is this something we could DIY, since, you know, we're obviously going to die now?


The asbestos may be in the tile, but not the glue.
\How much tiles is left on the glue? Will you have the wood refinished when you are done?

_________________
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Because without agreement on objective truth, how do we communicate?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm
Posts: 17598
pizza_Place: 6 characters
Seacrest wrote:
The asbestos may be in the tile, but not the glue.
\How much tiles is left on the glue? Will you have the wood refinished when you are done?


Luckily the tile was glued to plywood which was glued to the hardwood, and we were able to get all the upper layers off the floor. All we have now is hardwood with black glue on top.

Our original thought was to buy a solution to spread on the glue to help remove it. We'd like to still go with that option assuming we don't need to go the whole hazmat route.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 am
Posts: 28604
Location: Around the corner from Only Child Brewing Co
pizza_Place: Gino's East
Light it on fire.

_________________
IMU wrote:
I saw the photo of yours. Mine had a much smaller circumference but seemed thicker. Let me post a pic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 34491
Location: Isle of Lucy
pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
So obviously I think I am going to die now.


Can I have your golf clubs?

_________________
Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson

<ยบ)))><

Have a good time all the time, that's my philosophy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
You're probably fine, but I would have a professional do it. You want it removed properly, and you want someone who is bonded and insured to do it.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 29810
pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Are you going to sand and refinish it yourself? If not don't mention the black glue and let the guy who is going to sand and refinish it remove it. You may want to wait a month or 2 because carpenters aren't hungry yet. This summer has been very good to them.

_________________
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." ~LBJ

https://youtu.be/56KYMMGudcU Eminem


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm
Posts: 17598
pizza_Place: 6 characters
Nas wrote:
Are you going to sand and refinish it yourself? If not don't mention the black glue and let the guy who is going to sand and refinish it remove it. You may want to wait a month or 2 because carpenters aren't hungry yet. This summer has been very good to them.


We were planning on doing it ourselves. However, plan B is to cover it with new tile, although the preference would be to refinish the original hardwood.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 29810
pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Nas wrote:
Are you going to sand and refinish it yourself? If not don't mention the black glue and let the guy who is going to sand and refinish it remove it. You may want to wait a month or 2 because carpenters aren't hungry yet. This summer has been very good to them.


We were planning on doing it ourselves. However, plan B is to cover it with new tile, although the preference would be to refinish the original hardwood.


You're fine doing it yourself. Slap the person who covered the hardwood.

_________________
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." ~LBJ

https://youtu.be/56KYMMGudcU Eminem


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 71680
Removing Black Type Folks from Elmhurst

_________________
Now I don't give a fuck if you
Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, goddammit
That don't mean shit to me
Fuck your ethnicity


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:35 pm
Posts: 52742
Have FarveFan cook a pizza when you are out of the house. Either the glue or the house will be gone.

_________________
An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never existed- Thomas Jefferson in reference to the CSFMB


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:04 pm
Posts: 4303
Location: Lake of the Ozarks (whenever I can)
pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Seacrest wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Over the weekend my wife and I started ripping up the old linoleum tile in our kitchen. House was built in the 1920s, but not sure when this tile was installed. The original hardwood is underneath, but since the previous owners laid the tile over the hardwood we now have black tile glue to remove.

This morning during a Google search to learn about the best way to remove said glue, I start seeing the word "asbestos." So obviously I think I am going to die now.

What are my options to get this shit off the flooring? One quote I received was $170 to test for asbestos, then roughly $1600 to remove it if the test is positive.

Is this something we could DIY, since, you know, we're obviously going to die now?


The asbestos may be in the tile, but not the glue.
\How much tiles is left on the glue? Will you have the wood refinished when you are done?

I would suggest paying for the test and also paying for the removal if needed. This isn't something to play around with. Further, if you ever sell the house you can show the buyer that you've removed the hazard.

_________________
chaspoppcap wrote:
You guys seem a little uniformed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:47 pm
Posts: 25619
Location: computer
pizza_Place: Salerno's
yeah, that stuff should just sand right off.

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/audioidkid
@audioidkid
donspiracy wrote:
douglas from evergreen freakin park... fighter, survivor, string picker and ass kicker. Now he can call himself, Champion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:25 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:45 pm
Posts: 15507
Location: Lovetron
pizza_Place: Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Over the weekend my wife and I started ripping up the old linoleum tile in our kitchen. House was built in the 1920s, but not sure when this tile was installed. The original hardwood is underneath, but since the previous owners laid the tile over the hardwood we now have black tile glue to remove.

This morning during a Google search to learn about the best way to remove said glue, I start seeing the word "asbestos." So obviously I think I am going to die now.

What are my options to get this shit off the flooring? One quote I received was $170 to test for asbestos, then roughly $1600 to remove it if the test is positive.

Is this something we could DIY, since, you know, we're obviously going to die now?


The asbestos may be in the tile, but not the glue.
\How much tiles is left on the glue? Will you have the wood refinished when you are done?

I would suggest paying for the test and also paying for the removal if needed. This isn't something to play around with. Further, if you ever sell the house you can show the buyer that you've removed the hazard.


WORST. ADVICE. EVER.

Don't EVER get someone involved in a possible haz waste situation.

_________________
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Because without agreement on objective truth, how do we communicate?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 29810
pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Seacrest wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Over the weekend my wife and I started ripping up the old linoleum tile in our kitchen. House was built in the 1920s, but not sure when this tile was installed. The original hardwood is underneath, but since the previous owners laid the tile over the hardwood we now have black tile glue to remove.

This morning during a Google search to learn about the best way to remove said glue, I start seeing the word "asbestos." So obviously I think I am going to die now.

What are my options to get this shit off the flooring? One quote I received was $170 to test for asbestos, then roughly $1600 to remove it if the test is positive.

Is this something we could DIY, since, you know, we're obviously going to die now?


The asbestos may be in the tile, but not the glue.
\How much tiles is left on the glue? Will you have the wood refinished when you are done?

I would suggest paying for the test and also paying for the removal if needed. This isn't something to play around with. Further, if you ever sell the house you can show the buyer that you've removed the hazard.


WORST. ADVICE. EVER.

Don't EVER get someone involved in a possible haz waste situation.


Unless you want to see your home value decline dramatically.

_________________
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." ~LBJ

https://youtu.be/56KYMMGudcU Eminem


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:46 pm 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm
Posts: 17598
pizza_Place: 6 characters
doug - evergreen park wrote:
yeah, that stuff should just sand right off.


I feel like there is malice behind this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:31 pm
Posts: 4914
pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Wine Fridge! Horse!

(Sorry, wrong guy.)

_________________
Everyone is digging in a parallel line
People always live and die in 4/4 time


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am
Posts: 24036
Location: A sterile, homogeneous suburb
pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Leave your garden hose running in a window well and let it flood your basement. Your insurance company will then have to take care of both the testing and remediation.

_________________
312player wrote:
More weird jews..smh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:32 pm 
Offline
1000 CLUB
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm
Posts: 60415
Location: Suburbs FTW!
pizza_Place: SWEET BABY RAY"S?
Black Glues Matter.

_________________
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
First off, the [2016 Cubs World Series] title was never a huge deal to me.


Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:47 pm
Posts: 13350
Location: The far western part of south east North Dakota
pizza_Place: Boboli
Seacrest wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Over the weekend my wife and I started ripping up the old linoleum tile in our kitchen. House was built in the 1920s, but not sure when this tile was installed. The original hardwood is underneath, but since the previous owners laid the tile over the hardwood we now have black tile glue to remove.

This morning during a Google search to learn about the best way to remove said glue, I start seeing the word "asbestos." So obviously I think I am going to die now.

What are my options to get this shit off the flooring? One quote I received was $170 to test for asbestos, then roughly $1600 to remove it if the test is positive.

Is this something we could DIY, since, you know, we're obviously going to die now?


The asbestos may be in the tile, but not the glue.
\How much tiles is left on the glue? Will you have the wood refinished when you are done?


#FakeNews

Adhesive absolutely had asbestos in it.

Don't worry, it won't hurt for another 25-30 years or so...

_________________
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I smell a bit....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group