It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
pittmike wrote:
Went down in the basement after work. Have like three topps box sets a donruss and a couple hockey boxes. Also a box of individuals organized in some manner. Probably can get me a case of beer if I am luck for all of it.

I bet you have that Eric Lindross rookie flyers card they all said would be worth thousands in the future?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
HawaiiYou wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Went down in the basement after work. Have like three topps box sets a donruss and a couple hockey boxes. Also a box of individuals organized in some manner. Probably can get me a case of beer if I am luck for all of it.

I bet you have that Eric Lindross rookie flyers card they all said would be worth thousands in the future?

:lol: :lol:

:lol: Yeah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
My dad claims to have had the Mickey Mantle Topps rookie card. That might be some of his folklore, though.

I have thousands of them, including dozens of sets, at my parents' house, but I collected in the early 90s. Those cards are all worthless because the market was saturated.

When I was in my mid teens my dad walks into my room and gives me a notebook full of cards. Tells me to figure out what they are worth and we can sell them and split the proceeds. Get a Beckett football and baseball boom and start taking inventory. I can’t remember how much the collection ended up being “worth” but at the half way point it was well into six figures. I told him that and I believe the notebook now resides in a safety deposit box. I was going to buy myself a nice car too.

Rule # 1: Keep your mouth closed!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:49 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
When I was in my mid teens my dad walks into my room and gives me a notebook full of cards. Tells me to figure out what they are worth and we can sell them and split the proceeds. Get a Beckett football and baseball boom and start taking inventory. I can’t remember how much the collection ended up being “worth” but at the half way point it was well into six figures. I told him that and I believe the notebook now resides in a safety deposit box. I was going to buy myself a nice car too.

Those cards are probably worth 10% of what they used to be worth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Douchebag wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Those cards are probably worth 10% of what they used to be worth.

If that. I mean,they were cards from the 40’s and some fairly important ones but yeah.i can’t renember what early Ted Williams card he had it on quick perusal none are worth anywhere close to what I recall seeing. Oddly, the football cards had much more value back then. Marion Motley Rookie card had some value if I remember right. I think the old man did I better job on other investments he made for himself. I asked him about the cards recently and he only had a vague recollection of them. Almost wonder if he sold them. Jerk.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
When I got out of Playing Magic I took all the pricey cards out and gave the rest to my nephew. He calls me thank me telling me he was surprised I game him a certain card. I told him to give the card to his mother. Now way was I giving a kid a $400 card

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
I remember first buying cards around 1970 or so. Seemed like every other one was fuckin Clay Kirby.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:13 am 

Couple brothers just found a 1952 Mickey Mantle in their old collection....that is one card that still has value.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Scooter wrote:
I remember first buying cards around 1970 or so. Seemed like every other one was fuckin Clay Kirby.

lol...I think it was a close-up,too....the most useless type of card.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I stopped collecting in the early 2000s. It was starting to get ridiculous with how many jersey cards and subsets. I bought a waxbox of, I wanna say UpperDeck basketball when Antonio McDyess was on Denver. Pulled a Penny Hardaway and McDyess auto from the same box. It was fucking great!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:28 pm 

Tri - Star is a company based in Houston that puts on shows around the country, but they have two a year here in Houston.

I usually go to at least one a year just to look around. Some of those vendors have just tremendously obscure shit. Old game programs, wacky stuff. I remember one dude had a stack of approx. 50 early 1970's Astrodome bumper stickers. How does someone save one of those for 40+ years much less a whole stack.

It is fun to see some of unique memorabilia, cancelled checks from Elvis. I usually buy a card or ten when I go there.

There are also vendors that specialize in certain things. So you'll have one booth that has 2,000 signed jerseys, that's all. One booth has all signed football helmets/balls.

The attendees at the shows are a spectacle on some level also. It's like the cantina scene from Star Wars.

In the past 4 years or so I've started collecting cards again to some extent. Basically just collecting shit that I would have loved to have as a kid, but didn't have anywhere near the money to spend at the time.

Currently putting together a 1953 topps complete set.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:37 pm 

My dad, brother and I were big into it in the 80's/early 90's, but all that era stuff is crap now. Remember driving to random small shows all over the place. My brother opened a shop selling the stuff for awhile. Overproduction and the internet killed all that though. Once he closed the store, think he ended up selling off most of his inventory through ebay/online.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:39 pm 

Article about the infamous Billy Ripkin "f**kface" card:

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2019/1/25/ ... tual-swear