It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hvac jobs in mchenry
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:14 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
IkeSouth wrote:
companies can be just as dumb as employess. i was once rejected for a management position

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: What??
BigW72 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
The union can send out an entry level apprentice, providing there are enough journeymen at the shop. Say there isn't. Then hire a kid off the street and if he works out, put him in the program in 6 months.

It's just that easy, huh?

You have enough journeymen to hire two union entry level apprentices or not? If you do, Local 597 is there for you. If not, then you do what you're doing. Let's stop beating around the bush. It's a legit loophole. The union will take a dues paying member you hire off the street. They don't have much choice. It's just I sense some crocodile tears about how you can't find anybody. Sure you can.

I don't buy that. This is one job market that would appear to be steady in demand. I would guess there's not a whole lot of Journeyman HVAC techs sitting on the bench...I'd guess they're already out working.

Had you posted this 18 months ago, my son (who is now almost 23) would have been good candidate. He's hell bent on not going to school and has since found a good job doing Warehouse work...and quite happy with it.

I can see if my son knows anyone that would fit.

There is a list of tested and accepted entry level apprentices in every local in the country. It's what he's looking for. My guess is his shop doesn't meet the 1 to 1 journeyman to apprentice guidelines. He hasn't responded but I would be more than happy to be wrong. Here's the thing. He's not hiring an entry level union job. He's hiring an entry level union job IF IT WORKS OUT. Again, I'm happy if I'm wrong. But it is something that goes on all the time. If you have too many union apprentices, there won't be an inflatable rat outside their doors. They'll take the union member if and when he works out.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
IkeSouth wrote:
companies can be just as dumb as employess. i was once rejected for a management position because i didn't have union experience, or history with refrigerant. i worked the electrical union for 10 years, and then managed 4 years in a food processing plant that had 150 and 350 ton glycol chillers :lol:

Probably they just told you those reasons to let you down easy.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Nardi wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
The union can send out an entry level apprentice, providing there are enough journeymen at the shop. Say there isn't. Then hire a kid off the street and if he works out, put him in the program in 6 months.

You have enough journeymen to hire two union entry level apprentices or not? If you do, Local 597 is there for you. If not, then you do what you're doing. Let's stop beating around the bush. It's a legit loophole. The union will take a dues paying member you hire off the street. They don't have much choice. It's just I sense some crocodile tears about how you can't find anybody. Sure you can.

I don't buy that. This is one job market that would appear to be steady in demand. I would guess there's not a whole lot of Journeyman HVAC techs sitting on the bench...I'd guess they're already out working.

Had you posted this 18 months ago, my son (who is now almost 23) would have been good candidate. He's hell bent on not going to school and has since found a good job doing Warehouse work...and quite happy with it.

There is a list of tested and accepted entry level apprentices in every local in the country. It's what he's looking for. My guess is his shop doesn't meet the 1 to 1 journeyman to apprentice guidelines. He hasn't responded but I would be more than happy to be wrong. Here's the thing. He's not hiring an entry level union job. He's hiring an entry level union job IF IT WORKS OUT. Again, I'm happy if I'm wrong. But it is something that goes on all the time. If you have too many union apprentices, there won't be an inflatable rat outside their doors. They'll take the union member if and when he works out.

His name is Scabby!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:08 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Nardi wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:

His name is Scabby!

Oh... I meant July DiCaro.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

July said there were 2 job openings, but really there were 3.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'm just gonna say if you think nobody tried that route I'm not sure what to tell you. Have you tried hiring for this trade?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:33 pm 

Hussra wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
companies can be just as dumb as employess. i was once rejected for a management position because i didn't have union experience, or history with refrigerant. i worked the electrical union for 10 years, and then managed 4 years in a food processing plant that had 150 and 350 ton glycol chillers :lol:

Probably they just told you those reasons to let you down easy.

i feel like that's what it had to be too... but usually i get "we went with a different candidate" and that's all the explanation i really need anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:36 pm 

Darkside wrote:
I'm just gonna say if you think nobody tried that route I'm not sure what to tell you. Have you tried hiring for this trade?

it's rough out there these days. nobody is interested in how things work anymore. they just want to show up to work hungover enough to get yelled at and collect a paycheck.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:36 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Non-answer. Means I'm probably spot on.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:11 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Did you graduate from Purdue or something?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I was 597 for 12 years, the problem is they don't send enough guys to the service side..plenty of fitters and welders and not enough service guys. I think 3 guys in my class of 90 or so dudes were on the service end.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:42 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Not enough union journeyman in your shop to hire two entry level 597 apprentices. Case closed. Let's move on.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:49 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Not enough union journeyman in your shop to hire two entry level 597 apprentices. Case closed. Let's move on.

How many apprentices does 597 have sitting on the sweat?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:07 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Entry level is on a list. All tested, tooled up, and ready to head out to their first union job. Which is what you claim you are looking for.

https://www.pf597.org/apprenticeship/

You don't have enough union journeymen for a 1 to 1 ratio. Carry on with your street hirings. It's fine. I don't care. You're not union enough. But it's better than scabby, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:12 pm 

guys, were all brothers. get along before dad has to beat your ass.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:14 pm 

Darkside getting in even more HVAC related arguments!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I didn't picture Nardi as one of these guys

That could jeopardize his "ERA" here.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

Stick your head in a furnace, Bob. Make sure the thermostat is turned up to about 90 before you do so. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:47 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
I didn't picture Nardi as one of these guys

That could jeopardize his "ERA" here.

The July DiCaro inflatable doesn't do anybody any good.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:25 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Entry level is on a list. All tested, tooled up, and ready to head out to their first union job. Which is what you claim you are looking for.

You don't have enough union journeymen for a 1 to 1 ratio. Carry on with your street hirings. It's fine. I don't care. You're not union enough. But it's better than scabby, that's for sure.

Thats not a list of guys ready to go. That's an ad looking for people to get into the program. Seems 597 has the same problem I do.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:44 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Thats not a list of guys ready to go. That's an ad looking for people to get into the program. Seems 597 has the same problem I do.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
How'd this go? Did you hire anyone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:42 pm 

Hussra wrote:
How'd this go? Did you hire anyone

No. I still need at least another guy.
Edit... we did hire one guy... just not from here if that's what you meant.