PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
bigfan wrote:

God bless that man.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:43 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Also, if your house is on the market for three days, you probably offered it for too low.

I don't remember if it was three exactly, but it was a week or two. We had it priced to sell because we didn't want to have to sit on it.

My thoughts aren't a shot at the realtors themselves... they only get a portion of the roughly 2.5% they have to charge. A lot of it goes to listing fees, their agency, taxes, etc... but it's a lot of money. Depending on the price of the house, I'm gonna give it a whirl myself in the future (when I'm selling).
Maybe you can sell douchebags condo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Also, if your house is on the market for three days, you probably offered it for too low.

I don't remember if it was three exactly, but it was a week or two. We had it priced to sell because we didn't want to have to sit on it.

My thoughts aren't a shot at the realtors themselves... they only get a portion of the roughly 2.5% they have to charge. A lot of it goes to listing fees, their agency, taxes, etc... but it's a lot of money. Depending on the price of the house, I'm gonna give it a whirl myself in the future (when I'm selling).
Maybe you can sell douchebags condo.

I was trying to be subtle, but I want the job.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Douchebag wrote:
bigfan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

From the comments section...

chuschus 1 year ago
This is pretty much the worst video ever made.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:49 pm 

The end of that video had bloopers. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:50 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
You should open with "Hello potential buyer, do you want a condo that just recently was worth more than douchebag paid for it 10 years ago? Well, I have the place for you."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
You should open with "Hello potential buyer, do you want a condo that just recently was worth more than douchebag paid for it 10 years ago? Well, I have the place for you."

Thank you, Douchebag, for getting out of the way so we can see this wonderful piece of property.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
bigfan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You might think I'm in Lake Tahoe, or Upper Peninsula Minnesota. Dope.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I know Douchebag's condo. I audit them. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Neighbor and I were selling at the same time. They had their 1st open house, we stuck our for sale by owner sign out and sold it a week later. Paid 500 to a realtor friend to handle all the paperwork. Pretty painless.

When we bought our house, we drove around the neighborhood we wanted to move to and picked out some homes we liked. We then sent a letter explaining our family had outgrown our old home and would they be interested in selling. 1 responded quickly but it was contingent on them having a house built. That fell through and in the meantime another family contacted us and we ended up buying our current house from them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Is this the condo with the Russian/Polish mob guy living across the way playing loud music all day and night, or do I have my Douchbag Estates mixed up?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I'd be afraid to sell myself. Don't they protect you legally some way or am I making a stupid assumption?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Stupid assumption

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
A lot of the fsbo sit on the market by us. I wouldn't want to be dealing with people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Spaulding wrote:
I'd be afraid to sell myself. Don't they protect you legally some way or am I making a stupid assumption?

In a way. There are a lot of things you can't say when you sell or rent a property, even your own. Some are obvious, but something that may seem innocuous to you, such as "This is a mostly Polish neighborhood" or "There's a Methodist church at the corner, and a Catholic grade school the next block over" can be seen as discriminatory and get you in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Spaulding wrote:

We didn't use an actual FSBO. But we did the disclosure sheet and the buyers had an inspection. Not sure what else there would be you could legally get nailed on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:03 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Yes they do. They handled all the needed paperwork including formal offers and the actual agreement. They also brought in a professional photographer and told us how to set up the house to make it look good. As TS said, they also know how to answer questions that you have to be careful with.

I can give one example that ended up being not a big deal after we explained it. I was home so I just let the person come in and then at the end asked if they had any questions. They asked "How much do you pay in property taxes?" and I gave a number that was about 800 dollars lower than what was listed on the listing. They asked why it was different on there and it was because I was including a "rebate" that everyone gets on their taxes unless they are making huge money. If I had listed it myself I probably would be in trouble for that but I didn't even think about it when I answered it to them.

They are also invaluable during the negotiation phase. Basically, both realtors want a deal and kind of drop hints to each other about what is going to get close and what isn't.

I mean, of course you can do it yourself, just like you can renovate your own kitchen. It's just easier and better when a professional does it.

The big key is finding someone who is good. Our NY realtor was great. The one we had for this current house was so-so with the buying process so we'll probably find someone new when we sell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
312player wrote:
Tribune will forward all the info to zillow, trulia and dozens of others, Along with the MLS listing. Agents hate those sites, they send the bare minimum to them.. If you want to throw away 2% to someone in a dying industry to list something..go ahead..but its not necessary.
A good realtor is easily worth 2%.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:11 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

In a way. There are a lot of things you can't say when you sell or rent a property, even your own. Some are obvious, but something that may seem innocuous to you, such as "This is a mostly Polish neighborhood" or "There's a Methodist church at the corner, and a Catholic grade school the next block over" can be seen as discriminatory and get you in trouble.

or something as simple as "there's an italian family upstairs, but they're really nice"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Rick Barr Properties

Good luck to you, DB.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:19 am 

Buddy Kane: In order to be successful, one must project an image of success at all times.

Buddy Kane: [Carolyn is having sex in a motel room with the Real Estate King] Do you like getting nailed by the King?
Carolyn Burnham: Yes, your majesty!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:23 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Yes they do. They handled all the needed paperwork including formal offers and the actual agreement. They also brought in a professional photographer and told us how to set up the house to make it look good. As TS said, they also know how to answer questions that you have to be careful with.

I can give one example that ended up being not a big deal after we explained it. I was home so I just let the person come in and then at the end asked if they had any questions. They asked "How much do you pay in property taxes?" and I gave a number that was about 800 dollars lower than what was listed on the listing. They asked why it was different on there and it was because I was including a "rebate" that everyone gets on their taxes unless they are making huge money. If I had listed it myself I probably would be in trouble for that but I didn't even think about it when I answered it to them.

They are also invaluable during the negotiation phase. Basically, both realtors want a deal and kind of drop hints to each other about what is going to get close and what isn't.

I mean, of course you can do it yourself, just like you can renovate your own kitchen. It's just easier and better when a professional does it.

The big key is finding someone who is good. Our NY realtor was great. The one we had for this current house was so-so with the buying process so we'll probably find someone new when we sell.

Next time just print out a standard purchase agreement on the computer, leave tax bills, utility bills on your counter top and save 5%..I'm not sure what paperwork you are referring to. The title company handles that.

And your kitchen analogy is hogwash. Its more like selling a car.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:33 am 

312player wrote:
Next time just print out a standard purchase agreement on the computer, leave tax bills, utility bills on your counter top and save 5%..I'm not sure what paperwork you are referring to. The title company handles that.
First of all, you aren't saving 5%. There is no reason for a buyer not to use a realtor since they aren't saving any money on it. You may save 2.5% but there are some costs associated with doing it on your own too. As I said, ours brought in a professional photographer and helped stage the place too. You are then faxing things back and forth and always showing the place and/or doing your own open houses.

Doing all of this yourself to save $2,500 for every $100,000 of the sale price?
312player wrote:
And your kitchen analogy is hogwash. Its more like selling a car.
In our experience, when selling our house, the realtor did a ton of work. At least 10 showings, being there and setting up the photography, having an open house, handling three different negotiations, and then being there for closing in our place.

Still though, I'd rather sell the car to a dealer than do it on my own too.

Also, I don't remember looking at a single house that was for sale by owner when we were looking to buy. I'm not sure if that was on purpose or not but given the choice as a buyer I'd rather be dealing with professionals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:43 am 

Its fairly common these days to not have a realtor, the internet is quickly making them unnecessary. In 5 years residential realtors will be as common as taxi-uber drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:53 am 

My neighbors are selling theirs without the use of a realtor. Been on the market for 2+ years. I always get a laugh every third or fourth Sunday when they have an "open house." Maybe two or three cars show up in the 3-hour span. No realtor, yeah, that's the way to go!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
redskingreg wrote:
My neighbors are selling theirs without the use of a realtor. Been on the market for 2+ years. I always get a laugh every third or fourth Sunday when they have an "open house." Maybe two or three cars show up in the 3-hour span. No realtor, yeah, that's the way to go!

Just because they are bad at it doesn't mean it cannot be done. Having a realtor adds a comfort level...but this is 2016. You can get exposure for anything with a little bit of effort. There are a ton of avenues for someone selling their own property.

Last edited by IMU on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Quote:
a 5 minute tour......a five minute tour........

Yur not in da upper peninsula of Wisconsin....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 am 

IMU wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Just because they are bad at it doesn't mean it cannot be done. Having a realtor adds a comfort level...but this is 2016. You can get exposure for anything with a little bit of effort. There are a ton of avenues for someone selling their own property.

This is true. Just going off my neighborhood. I know of two others who used realtors and sold their houses within two weeks.

I guess if you have the time, sure, there's no need for a realtor. But when we sell, I sure as hell will be using one. I have enough shit to worry about. I have one I trust, so I'll let her handle all that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:07 am 

IMU wrote:
Having a realtor adds a comfort level...but this is 2016. You can get exposure for anything with a little bit of effort. There are a ton of avenues for someone selling their own property.
You saying "little bit of effort" in regards to selling a house pretty much means you've never actually done it. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Having a realtor adds a comfort level...but this is 2016. You can get exposure for anything with a little bit of effort. There are a ton of avenues for someone selling their own property.
You saying "little bit of effort" in regards to selling a house pretty much means you've never actually done it. :lol:

"Little bit of effort" in getting it listed in the major areas. I do marketing. It isn't far off.

The other parts of the process? I know nothing about. When I need to know...my sister is a realtor.

Local newspapers, Redfin, Zillow, Homefinder - not much effort required.