It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:30 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Not SS shitposting here…

I loved Applebee’s when I was a kid. I vividly remember arguing with an older cousin when I was 8 or 9 about how great the popcorn shrimp basket was.

Not shit posting at all. I recall being crushed when a chain called JoJo's went under when I was about 10. Nothing special, but had a lot of purple and chrome in a 70s kind of way which to me seemed cool.

Years later, I ended up at the last remaining JoJo's in Evansville, Indiana. It was kind of a dump, but it was Evansville so it was fine.

Hell I liked the Ponderosa and remember my dad taking two bucks I'd earned mopping floors because I wanted mushrooms. And then remarked that I better get a good job because I "had expensive tastes"

I went to the Texas Roadhouse once as a 10yr old.

It was rare to go out to eat, and even rarer when we were allowed to order off something other than the kids or apps menu.

Anyway, we get there and I’m told to order a steak. It was amazing. I thought that place was the pinnacle of steakhouses.

This in part was my point to starting this thread. Sometimes we forget our similarities. Myself up front. Sorry you guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:31 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
There was a place called Jer-Bar next to the drive-in theatre in Earlville that had the best onion rings I’ve ever had and never found anything close in the 40 years since.

They also had a salad bar with a fantastic cheese ball dip. Plus a Hamm’s beer sign with the rolling scene on a lake with a teepee that I’ve always wanted.

Then the place burned to the ground. Looking back as an adult, probably an arson/insurance scam. It never reopened.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:43 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
There was a place called Jer-Bar next to the drive-in theatre in Earlville that had the best onion rings I’ve ever had and never found anything close in the 40 years since.

They also had a salad bar with a fantastic cheese ball dip. Plus a Hamm’s beer sign with the rolling scene on a lake with a teepee that I’ve always wanted.

Then the place burned to the ground. Looking back as an adult, probably an arson/insurance scam. It never reopened.

My onion ring epiphany was at Ida Noyes hall on the U of C campus. I'd find small gems where my short pockets could find. Once I remember then dropping my bus fare and not realizing that I had until I got on the bus. Thankfully the driver took pity on a small ten year old.

Last edited by Regular Reader on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Regular Reader wrote:
My parents had the exact same reaction at a graduation dinner with my then 10 year old. Oddly my wife and I ordered a basic steak au poivre and roasted chicken to offset it. But then I made caiprinahas for us at home while the kids slept iirc.

OMG I offset my kids orders all the time. I'll have a Cesar salad. but then I order $40 worth of booze. I mean I tried. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:46 pm 

Send a link to me I'll buy it for you.

I fucking love onion rings. I like both battered and breaded but I think breaded wins.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:51 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
My parents had the exact same reaction at a graduation dinner with my then 10 year old. Oddly my wife and I ordered a basic steak au poivre and roasted chicken to offset it. But then I made caiprinahas for us at home while the kids slept iirc.

OMG I offset my kids orders all the time. I'll have a Cesar salad. but then I order $40 worth of booze. I mean I tried. :lol:

:lol: you've seen me order that at lunch now that I know Seacrest will sneak and grab the check early. But JORR is gonna pay for my Johnnie Walker Black after my fifties get rejected.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:57 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Spaulding wrote:

Send a link to me I'll buy it for you.

I fucking love onion rings. I like both battered and breaded but I think breaded wins.

They were breaded with like a pepper type seasoning that was crispy but a little bready on the inside.

The Hamm’s sign in working order is like $1,200 last I checked. They’re pretty rare.

I demand you don’t buy it for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
My kids stress about the cost of stuff and I tell them not to worry about it. Well, the oldest stresses, the youngest would spend 800 bucks on French fries if that’s what it took. Once I figured out my folks booze bill I stopped worrying about it :lol: I try not to think about mine. When I ordered some Van winkle at a restaurant a few years back I’m pretty sure the drink cost as much as my steak dinner (boom).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Wag’s.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:05 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
My kids stress about the cost of stuff and I tell them not to worry about it. Well, the oldest stresses, the youngest would spend 800 bucks on French fries if that’s what it took. Once I figured out my folks booze bill I stopped worrying about it :lol: I try not to think about mine. When I ordered some Van winkle at a restaurant a few years back I’m pretty sure the drink cost as much as my steak dinner (boom).

Now that is funny. Three weeks and ago, I tried to convince my oldest that we should go to Gene and Georgettis and all he wanted was prime rib eye steaks cooked on the grill while he slept.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:06 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
:lol: you've seen me order that at lunch now that I know Seacrest will sneak and grab the check early. But JORR is gonna pay for my Johnnie Walker Black after my fifties get rejected.

You get invites to way more stuff than I do, BOYS CLUB WHOOP WHOOP!

They are sweet. I can pay for myself but I don't really want to pay for nobody else unless they are a good time and can't afford it. And I don't want nobody else paying for me. I find it offensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:09 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

That's a good way to try it out. How was it? I want to buy a bottle of something good for my husband but don't know what.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
This place called Rockwell’s in Schaumburg. It was fucking awesome. I have zero memory of what happened to it but I believe it went away in the late 90’s

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:12 pm 

I won a charity auction to get a bottle of Van Winkle.

Was looking forward to it. Me and 3 friends. Then COVID hit and the place closed.

Get vaccinated so I can get drunk responsibly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:13 pm 

Was looking forward to it. Me and 3 friends. Then COVID hit and the place closed.

Which bottle?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:19 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

You get invites to way more stuff than I do, BOYS CLUB WHOOP WHOOP!

They are sweet. I can pay for myself but I don't really want to pay for nobody else unless they are a good time and can't afford it. And I don't want nobody else paying for me. I find it offensive.

But you were a welcome addition last time. Champagne lady. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:20 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:

Which bottle?

It was a 20 year.

I’ve never had it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:24 pm 

It was a 20 year.

I’ve never had it.

You are a vodka guy. You don't drink bourbon. 25-40 bucks you should be good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:25 pm 

It was good. I ordered it because it was an option and I was having a good time with a couple friends at a boring ass farming conference. They wouldn’t let me order them one. My bank account thanks them. My palate is probably not sophisticated enough to appreciate it but it was smooth. I doubt I’d drop what it would cost to buy one for myself but I would buy a friend a bottle or perhaps get one for a get together for a special occasion.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:26 pm 

Which bottle?

It was a 20 year.

I’ve never had it.

Expensive one. The 15 is the best. 20 is more valuable though.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:30 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
a boring ass farming conference.

Oooh, let’s hear about that!

What in the ever-loving hell is a farm conference?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:31 pm 

Which bottle?

It was a 20 year.

I’ve never had it.

Expensive one. The 15 is the best. 20 is more valuable though.

I’ve never had any of them. But, as Spaulding mentioned, I’m no expert.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:34 pm 

Squirrel might be the better life coach at this point. :lol: You suck!!!! Loser!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:38 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Squirrel might be the better life coach at this point. :lol: You suck!!!! Loser!!!!

I like your life and can definitely see myself excelling in that coaching opportunity but I just need a few days to review the coaching offers that I have.

I really appreciate learning about your life.

I will get back to you next week.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:39 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
a boring ass farming conference.

Oooh, let’s hear about that!

What in the ever-loving hell is a farm conference?

http://www.mosesorganic.org jn Lacrosse. Went to sessions on marketing, some precision ag stuff and buckwheat that year I think. I think one session I skipped out of and walked the floor and then went to a bar. It’s an odd conference mix of vegan 20 year old hippies, Amish folks, traditional farmers who have transitioned to organic and me.

Have gone to ones in Madison about no till organic, Springfield about permaculture and the twin cities about livestock selection. Honestly I think it’s mostly a time to sit around the bar and talk to people and see what they are song because a lot of the speakers know nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:41 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

This is a terrible idea. I suggest reassessing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:44 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
20 year old hippies, Amish folks, traditional farmers who have transitioned to organic and me. .

Sounds like the origins of a fantastic band.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:47 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Did you see his response? I'm in crisis mode and he might get back to me next week. He has lost all that is important, he's a corporate schill. You are my go to guy! Farmers up!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:49 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
20 year old hippies, Amish folks, traditional farmers who have transitioned to organic and me. .

Sounds like the origins of a fantastic band.

what are you gonna play the skin flute?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:52 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Did you see his response? I'm in crisis mode and he might get back to me next week. He has lost all that is important, he's a corporate schill. You are my go to guy! Farmers up!

Alright. Flip them the double birds. Tell them you won’t accept anything less than $35/hour. 8 weeks vacation. Full vesting 401k with 100% match from Day 1 and guaranteed minimum 15% profit sharing from fully audited statements also full vested.

Company-funded AD&D with supplemental life insurance. Also an equity funded personal life insurance that you own personally. A company car that the company covers for fringe benefit taxes. And free coffee.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next