It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Regular Reader wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
20 lbs propane tanks now contain 15 lbs if you swap them (unless you go to Menards where it's 17 lbs or refilled to 20). Bags of ice went from 10 lbs to 7.

This has been happening since the eighties. For virtually anything at a grocery store.

Yet Americans keep getting fatter?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Caller Bob wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
20 lbs propane tanks now contain 15 lbs if you swap them (unless you go to Menards where it's 17 lbs or refilled to 20). Bags of ice went from 10 lbs to 7.

This has been happening since the eighties. For virtually anything at a grocery store.

Yet Americans keep getting fatter?

but not you i'm sure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:18 pm 

W_Z wrote:
A party size bag of chips now is probably about as big as a regular size bag chips was 20 years ago. It’s more like an incel party size bag now.

Jay's used to sell a big box of chips with two bags inside, each of which was the size of their largest bag now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
It is referred to as "shrink-flation"..and what really angers me is that they (manufactures of goods) think that we are all just fucking nimwits who can't figure it out.

fuck you. I'm not going to buy your product even if it forces me to spend more time scrutinizing value...

and don't get me going on them forcing you to scan and bag your own groceries...go piss up a rope

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
W_Z wrote:
A party size bag of chips now is probably about as big as a regular size bag chips was 20 years ago. It’s more like an incel party size bag now.

Jay's used to sell a big box of chips with two bags inside, each of which was the size of their largest bag now.

Twin pack with a pencil sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:41 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Twin pack with a pencil sometimes.

And they were called "Japs"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
One of the Jays partners (brothers?) went on his own and started Vitners.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:16 pm 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:
It is referred to as "shrink-flation"..and what really angers me is that they (manufactures of goods) think that we are all just fucking nimwits who can't figure it out.

fuck you. I'm not going to buy your product even if it forces me to spend more time scrutinizing value...

and don't get me going on them forcing you to scan and bag your own groceries...go piss up a rope

It doesn't bother me either. We've been indoctrinated to buy premade garbage when real quality only takes a few min longer to make. I stopped eating out and don't buy processed anything at the store. Lots of rice, chicken, veggies and shit like that. I don't notice a difference other than I save a ton of money, feel better and the food tastes better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:24 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

It doesn't bother me either. We've been indoctrinated to buy premade garbage when real quality only takes a few min longer to make. I stopped eating out and don't buy processed anything at the store. Lots of rice, chicken, veggies and shit like that. I don't notice a difference other than I save a ton of money, feel better and the food tastes better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Regular Reader wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Clear bags. I liked to search for the burnt ones.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I remember those boxes of chips. They went great with the Jewel's brand pop.

Pretty sure my Mom still has a couple of those Jay's pencils.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:41 pm 

Remember Ms fishers chips? Make one product and never change anything for 80 years and people will eventually think it's good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:45 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Make one product and never change anything for 80 years and people will eventually think it's good.

Maurice Lenell is a good example of that . Those things were stale coming off the production line

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:46 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
Make one product and never change anything for 80 years and people will eventually think it's good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Somewhat disagree. Their Pinwheel cookies were great.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Bagels wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Maurice Lenell is a good example of that . Those things were stale coming off the production line

Yeah but a 5 pound bag of "seconds" (mostly cracked cookies) could feed a bunch of starving foreign graduate students for a couple of days. I earned a lot of goodwill with mundane things like computer access back in the mid-80s by bringing back a couple of those bags and leaving them in the common area for our program.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:16 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Bagels wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Yeah but a 5 pound bag of "seconds" (mostly cracked cookies) could feed a bunch of starving foreign graduate students for a couple of days. I earned a lot of goodwill with mundane things like computer access back in the mid-80s by bringing back a couple of those bags and leaving them in the common area for our program.

So you're the reason the company went bankrupt. Remember that next time you ask for a cost of living increase asshole.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
IkeSouth wrote:
Bagels wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

So you're the reason the company went bankrupt. Remember that next time you ask for a cost of living increase asshole.

:D

I'm retired, no COLA here. I was a poor graduate student as well at the time, but it was a good way to get in a couple of hours of listening to Steve and Garry in their prime.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:51 pm 

It's amazing to me how much companies nickel and dime their way to demise. I guess it's part of the plan for some owners... But I've definitely learned if you're working somewhere that freaks out over a few hundred bucks here or there, run. Fast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Bagels wrote:

There was something great about the pinwheels.

I love folded over chips. I'd buy bags of them if I could.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Bagels wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

TAKE IT BACK!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
W_Z wrote:

BEST FIELD TRIP EVAH!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Nas wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Girl Scout cookies. They are 5 bucks a box for 14 cookies.

It's not about the cookies, it's about the charity.

The troop that sells it gets like 5 cents on the dollar. It's terrible. Just let me write a check for 100 bucks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:57 pm 

OscarTangoEcho wrote:

You are a beautiful old bastard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:32 pm 

Bagels wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

I was just laughing with a former classmate about how there was so much crap food like that us broke students relied upon just to be able to put something on your stomach to get to sleep until our trash breakfast opened up.

The 25 cent bags of popcorn from the snack truck were lifesavers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:24 am 

my roomate's father was an asian importer and we used to get huge boxes of ramen. I'd eat two packs of noodles at a time.

I won't hear of this badmouthing of Maurice Lennel. I loved those cookies. Pinwheels, of course. Jelly Stars were awesome. Their chocolate chip was great. We lived close enough to the factory that we'd go to the attached store once in a while. They left out buckets of samples at each aisle. You could fill yourself while shopping.

They must be shrinking condoms because none will fit on my monster dong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:33 am 

good dolphin wrote:
my roomate's father was an asian importer and we used to get huge boxes of ramen. I'd eat two packs of noodles at a time.

I won't hear of this badmouthing of Maurice Lennel. I loved those cookies. Pinwheels, of course. Jelly Stars were awesome. Their chocolate chip was great. We lived close enough to the factory that we'd go to the attached store once in a while. They left out buckets of samples at each aisle. You could fill yourself while shopping.

They must be shrinking condoms because none will fit on my monster dong.

Any exporting or just importing?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm 

watch when a fifth of booze becomes 700ml

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Bagels wrote:
watch when a fifth of booze becomes 700ml

I have never understood how “a fifth” equates to 750 mL. A fifth of what?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next