It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
lipidquadcab wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Steak can be great, but amateurs can screw that shit up and then it is just mediocre. Burgers over steak, most of the time, IMO.

I think Douchebag is on to something here...a steak done properly over a burger done properly every time, but then you get someone who decides that there can't be any pink in it whatsoever or they fucking cut into it to make sure it's cooked properly...so the burger ends up being a safer choice as far as avoiding disappointment.

Well that goes for a good burger too. It's gotta be a little pink.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:14 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Steak can be great, but amateurs can screw that shit up and then it is just mediocre. Burgers over steak, most of the time, IMO.

I think Douchebag is on to something here...a steak done properly over a burger done properly every time, but then you get someone who decides that there can't be any pink in it whatsoever or they fucking cut into it to make sure it's cooked properly...so the burger ends up being a safer choice as far as avoiding disappointment.
I'm not really talking about grilling it at home. I'm talking about highly rated steakhouses. Most of the time, I still enjoy the burger more especially at a good place that really knows how to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Hank Scorpio wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Oh fuck... if you cut into your steak while cooking it, you got some big problems.

My brother worked with people who had to do that to tell if they cooked them properly. :evil:

Also, I went to the Machine Shed (Quad Cities...representin') a couple months back to have the "famous" double cut pork chop that I saw on a Travel Channel show...yup, totally cut into, and totally dry.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
A steak at a top steakhouse is gonna run $50-plus.

Scorehead wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I remember someone on this board recently who stated that you should only eat ground beef well done. Who wants to eat a well-done burger? :puker: :pukel:

pizza_Place: Aurelios
:x :x :x

That's a damn shame

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:16 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
No.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:17 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

While I prefer my burgers to be a little pink, I'm not going to get up in arms if I get a burger that's well done in the way that I would if someone tries giving me a steak that's even the slightest bit past medium.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
No.

Maybe a bone in filet or a tomahawk ribeye... something off the beaten path.

Douchebag wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I remember someone on this board recently who stated that you should only eat ground beef well done. Who wants to eat a well-done burger? :puker: :pukel:

Maybe my in laws are on this board? They cook the shit out of everything.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:18 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
lipidquadcab wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I would have said that if you didn't grind the meat yourself or talked to the guy who did.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:18 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
No.

Maybe a bone in filet or a tomahawk ribeye... something off the beaten path.
Yeah. If it is big enough it may be but you can get a high quality steak for under $50 pretty much everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:20 pm 

I try to grill steaks for my extended family on mother's and father's day. I invariably get someone sheepishly asking to either cook it well done or if we have any ketchup... Sweet Jesus, I'm offended if you ask for steak sauce and now you want ketchup for a steak?!?!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:20 pm 

In Iowa, I'm not even sure if I've ever seen a 50 dollar steak on a menu. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:21 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I try to grill steaks for my extended family on mother's and father's day. I invariably get someone sheepishly asking to either cook it well done or if we have any ketchup... Sweet Jesus, I'm offended if you ask for steak sauce and now you want ketchup for a steak?!?!

Shoot them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
lipidquadcab wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I would have said that if you didn't grind the meat yourself or talked to the guy who did.

That's part of the reason I don't like steak, it has to be pink. A pink burger grosses me out and I will hurl. Whoever said it worked at a slaughter house I think.

Perry's was good...I wish they'd change their menu a little, then we'd probably think of going more.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
A well done burger is just as unappetizing as an overcooked steak.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
It will sound weird, but I'm just not a huge fan of plain cuts of meat without anything else. Pork chops, chicken breasts, steak... I'd much rather have a sandwich or tacos or a preparation that includes the meat in something else. I like a variety of flavors all at once. But in terms of just pieces of meat, prime rib is my fav.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:27 pm 

lipidquadcab wrote:
In Iowa, I'm not even sure if I've ever seen a 50 dollar steak on a menu. :lol:

My favorite steak joint in Iowa is Iowa River Power in Coralville, near Iowa City & the U of I. Everytime I am in Iowa I eat here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
FavreFan wrote:

Not to me.

leashyourkids wrote:
It will sound weird, but I'm just not a huge fan of plain cuts of meat without anything else. Pork chops, chicken breasts, steak... I'd much rather have a sandwich or tacos or a preparation that includes the meat in something else. I like a variety of flavors all at once. But in terms of just pieces of meat, prime rib is my fav.

I'm a sauce or au jus person.

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I grilled like 4 pounds of flank steak for a party and I had to ask my wife and another person if it was cooked enough since it was too rare for me to want to eat. Maybe I should eat more steak so I know how it should look.

In the future, the key seems to be to cook two of them with one staying on the grill for a while longer. Then you let them pick and choose which parts they want.

Spaulding wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
FavreFan wrote:

I know it's personal preference but I disagree with that.

Grill it till it's dead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Spaulding wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Not to me.

leashyourkids wrote:

Yes. If eating plain meat, I need a sauce or something. Though there are many places, especially in the South, where they have denied my request for A1. I will politely tell them that I'm not paying for the meal if I don't get it. They will get it.

One of my best friends and colleagues lives in Texas and was once a professional chef. He makes the best steaks I've ever eaten, and he makes his own salsa, which he sells to many restaurants. When I'm down there, we will also typically go out to a Texas steakhouse. The weird part is he eats KETCHUP AND RANCH on his steaks. It is the strangest thing for a guy who is sort of a food snob.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:33 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Pork chops are the finest cut of meat.
That is like saying the belly button is the best part of a woman. They can be very nice for sure, but without a doubt there is better.

belly buttons are both sexy and utilitarian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

One of my best friends and colleagues lives in Texas and was once a professional chef. He makes the best steaks I've ever eaten, and he makes his own salsa, which he sells to many restaurants. When I'm down there, we will also typically go out to a Texas steakhouse. The weird part is he eats KETCHUP AND RANCH on his steaks. It is the strangest thing for a guy who is sort of a food snob.

I love ranch but to echo what Lipid said... Shoot him. It's TX, so you'll probably get away with it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:36 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

ironic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:46 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Not really all that surprising. I've never really had a "great" steak in the south (incl. Texas).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:47 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I've never really had a "great" steak in the south (incl. Texas).

:shock:

This is where I've had the best steaks of my life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:47 pm 

I hate the site and texture of a bloody steak

I don't eat steak sauce with restaurant steak but I really enjoy it with marinated mushrooms which I guess could be considered kid of a sauce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next