It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Peoria Matt wrote:
And if anyone likes their porters, I'm drinking my 1st ever Deschutes Brewery beer-Black Butte Porter. The hype is well deserved. Top notch.

This beer is amazing. I have gone through a 12 pack already since Tuesday :shock: :drunken: This would be a great beer to have on tap at all times.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:42 am 

Baby McNown wrote:
Chus wrote:
Naperville Binny's has a one case limit on Hopslam.

Lucky bastard. Bloomingdale still has about 12 cases. 2 sixer limit. (Thanks HV)

I went to the Bloomingdale Binny's about an hour after you posted this, and got 2-sixers. There was only about a case and half left on the floor.

Also bought a sixer of Laguinitas Sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 am 

@Peoria Matt - glad you liked the Hopsun. It's a nice beer, certainly a drinkable beer a la Oberon/Gumballhead. Also, the porter sounds interesting - will look for it.

@Baby McNown - no worries - I got a call at 7:30 and they still had some. 12 is plenty for me.

Great chat on the breweries.

I saw Matt mentioned Sam Smith and I like their beers - it was my first beer (Nut Brown Ale) that I dipped my toe into craft beers. I was able to find Christmas Samplers at Target after xmas with a Nut Brown Ale, IPA and Oatmeal Stout with a pint glass for 6 bucks. I picked up a few at that price.

Which leads to my other question - what beers are in your fridge now? I have too many to mention but right now I know I have
HopSlam, Revelry, Half Acre Barley Wine, Broo Doo, Heavier Handed and a couple of Pumkings that need to be completed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Which leads to my other question - what beers are in your fridge now?

4 Hopslam
4 Pyramid Apricot Ale
4 New Belgium Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale
2 Two Brothers Northwind Imperial Stout
1 22oz. Clown Shoes Genghis Pecan Porter
1 22oz. Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (an old, and trusted friend)
1 Flying Dog Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout
1 St. Arnold Brewing Co. Icon Belgian Pale Ale
several cans of PBR

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:49 am 

The Bavarian Lodge in Lisle will be tapping a keg of Hopslam at 4:00 P.M.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:11 pm 

Chus wrote:
several cans of PBR

Hipster.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:12 pm 

Chus wrote:
The Bavarian Lodge in Lisle will be tapping a keg of Hopslam at 4:00 P.M.

I know John's in Winfield usually has it every year too. But something ain't right about their draft beer. I don't think they've cleaned those lines since the prohibition.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Chus wrote:
several cans of PBR

Hipster.

I am about as far from hipster as one can possibly be.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
add some "pie" to that "hip" and "ster" and we might be on to something.

:drunken:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:44 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Chus wrote:
several cans of PBR

Hipster.

It's either PBR or Bud as my cheap, American, barley pop. Cases of PBR are often $9.99 at Woodman's, and there is usually a coupon/deal for some snack product.

A few months back, I got a free bag of Bucky Badger Cheese Puffs with each case. The last time I went, I got a box of bagel bites for one penny with the purchase of each PBR case.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:10 pm 

Hopslam now on tap at Beer Bistro.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
7 Shiner Ruby Redbird
2 New Holland Black Tulip
2 Atwater Decadent
2 Dogfish Head Chicory Stout
2 Samuel Smith Organic Ales
2 Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout
1 Black Toad
1 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
1 Bomber Southern Tier Creme Bruele Stout
4 Blue Moons
1 Uinta Baba Black Lager
1 Alesmith Grand Cru
1 Chimay Grand Reserve Ale
Mix a Six from Binnys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:32 pm 

And if anyone sees any Chicory Stout and could figure out how to get it to me, it would be appreciated. Maybe a beer trade of something down here that you can't get. Chicory stout is Not available down here. I bought ours from Binnys in Bolingbrook a while back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
FINALLY got my hands on Hop Slam. Actually bought 2 six packs(one from a friend and one from the liquor store). The liquor store by the house received 5 cases at 2pm and were selling them only by the six pack. At 2:45 they were down to 2 cases. That much beer sold at $20 a pop in 45 mins is just nuts.

I also stopped at 3 floyds to pick up some Zombie Dust and Gumball head and they were out of both of them. I bought a 12 pack of Alpha King and a 22oz of Wolf Panzer. I think I'm good for awhile on the expensive beer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
FINALLY got my hands on Hop Slam. Actually bought 2 six packs(one from a friend and one from the liquor store). The liquor store by the house received 5 cases at 2pm and were selling them only by the six pack. At 2:45 they were down to 2 cases. That much beer sold at $20 a pop in 45 mins is just nuts.

I also stopped at 3 floyds to pick up some Zombie Dust and Gumball head and they were out of both of them. I bought a 12 pack of Alpha King and a 22oz of Wolf Panzer. I think I'm good for awhile on the expensive beer.

Out? Damn. What time of day did you stop? Guess I've always stopped by around noon (when they open) or within a couple hours thereafter. Always a ton of ZD usually. I'd feel like shit if I drove down there and came back ZD-less.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:42 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Out? Damn. What time of day did you stop? Guess I've always stopped by around noon (when they open) or within a couple hours thereafter. Always a ton of ZD usually. I'd feel like shit if I drove down there and came back ZD-less.

I was there around 1:30ish and they were out. The guy working the register said they will be out of ZD for quite awhile. I tried Alpha King for the first time last night and I enjoyed it so I settled on that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 pm 

Can't post what's in my fridge currently because I'm at work. But I know that, over the weekend, I had a Lagunitas Sucks, a few Hopslams, a couple Alpha Kings, a Zombie Dust, and a bomber that's name escapes me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm 
How is the Lagunitas? The stogie guy at Binny's was talkin it up when we were being about beer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
How is the Lagunitas? The stogie guy at Binny's was talkin it up when we were being about beer.

I really liked it. Only had two. The previous one was consumed late in the night, when I didn't remember much. Ha, so I can only go off the one I had yesterday. Thumbs up. Though the GF said it smelled horrible. She can go sit and spin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 pm 

Having a Lagunitas Sucks now thanks to Douchebag and it's a mighty fine beer. The smell I don't think is that bad. The taste is nothing overwhelming but it is good. Quite a bit better than Lil Sumpin Sumpin for sure.

HopSlam on deck after I finish my Lagunitas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:35 pm 

Had Lagunitas Sucks a few weeks ago on tap at Ballydoyle and enjoy it. The fruits in it were interesting compared to most citrus based IPAs. I did enjoy it more than Lil Sumpin Sumpin but not Lil Sumpin Wild.

This weekend, I tried Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds. It reminded quite a bit of Dreadknaught at a higher octane. I barely noticed the high ABV in this bottle and not sure if that was from the fact that this was a summer release that I walked into. There is 'lactose milk sugar' added to it but wasn't sure what it was meant for. Overall, I enjoyed it.

One other new beer I tried was from Pipeworks Brewing (new brewhouse in the city) - their standard issue IPA. Here's the BA profile: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28178/85098 They are so small that they still deliver out of the back of their car per Binnys. The bottle was bottled the Monday before. My concern with the beer house is that they are still trying to figure out who they are. This bottle was a solid IPA - lot of the piney hops flavor came out and looked the part but looking at the BA reviews, they are still tweaking the hop profile so worth a shot to support a local brew house but YMMV.

Last new beer of the weekend: Bells Black Note Stout - got a 4 pack from a friend who didn't like it. It weighs in at 11.8 ABV (dear god). This was nearly perfect for me in regards to stout. Lot of chocolate, caramel, some bourbon barrel comes out of it but not as pronounced as I expected. Not much heat as you would expect from a 12% beer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:13 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Had Lagunitas Sucks a few weeks ago on tap at Ballydoyle and enjoy it. The fruits in it were interesting compared to most citrus based IPAs. I did enjoy it more than Lil Sumpin Sumpin but not Lil Sumpin Wild.

This weekend, I tried Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds. It reminded quite a bit of Dreadknaught at a higher octane. I barely noticed the high ABV in this bottle and not sure if that was from the fact that this was a summer release that I walked into. There is 'lactose milk sugar' added to it but wasn't sure what it was meant for. Overall, I enjoyed it.

One other new beer I tried was from Pipeworks Brewing (new brewhouse in the city) - their standard issue IPA. Here's the BA profile: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28178/85098 They are so small that they still deliver out of the back of their car per Binnys. The bottle was bottled the Monday before. My concern with the beer house is that they are still trying to figure out who they are. This bottle was a solid IPA - lot of the piney hops flavor came out and looked the part but looking at the BA reviews, they are still tweaking the hop profile so worth a shot to support a local brew house but YMMV.

Last new beer of the weekend: Bells Black Note Stout - got a 4 pack from a friend who didn't like it. It weighs in at 11.8 ABV (dear god). This was nearly perfect for me in regards to stout. Lot of chocolate, caramel, some bourbon barrel comes out of it but not as pronounced as I expected. Not much heat as you would expect from a 12% beer.

I really enjoyed the Black Note Stout, but I thought the alcohol taste was in full effect. It doesn't bother me, but I definitely tasted it.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm 

Chus wrote:
I really enjoyed the Black Note Stout, but I thought the alcohol taste was in full effect. It doesn't bother me, but I definitely tasted it.

I fully expected a big slap in the mouth and got some warmth but otherwise picked up all the sweet flavors instead. Maybe I'm getting used to the higher ABVs and not noticing it as much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:12 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Chus wrote:

I fully expected a big slap in the mouth and got some warmth but otherwise picked up all the sweet flavors instead. Maybe I'm getting used to the higher ABVs and not noticing it as much.

The one we drank was probably too cold. I usually let stouts warm up for a few minutes before opening them, but my buddy cracked it, and poured it into four glasses.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 pm 

Southern Tier Eurotrash Pilz. I like it. Probably not for the hopheads out there. Curious timing on the release.....this is definitely more of a warm weather beer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm 

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA has hit the stores, and they are pricey. My guy was selling each 12 oz. bottle for $12.99. ABV is 18%.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/9086

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
As far as the DFH extreme beers go, I think World Wide Stout blows 120 Minute out of the water, and I'm glad it's coming back this year. It helps that it's usually $10 rather than $13-14 I see 120 Minute going for. Raison D'Extra is the one I really miss though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I have found 120 minute to be too much everything. It's one to say you have had but not one to have but every 5 years. I found it to be very syrupy. The WWS was good. The best super high abv beer I've had was the Sam Adams Utopias but I don't even know how the hell you get a hold of that and if you can find it you don't want to pay for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 pm 

Chus, where do you go? I do want to try the 120 once at least.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:07 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Chus, where do you go? I do want to try the 120 once at least.

They had a shit load of them at Binnys in Glen Ellyn today.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 105  Next