It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drinking at Work
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If you get fired for having a beer at lunch you likely weren't going to last very long anyways.
Not at all true.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:21 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If you get fired for having a beer at lunch you likely weren't going to last very long anyways.
Not at all true.

Ah, who'd care. You could just go work for JORR. He doesn't trust a guy who isn't liquored up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Not at all true.

Ah, who'd care. You could just go work for JORR. He doesn't trust a guy who isn't liquored up.
Even I couldn't take going to that many Sox games.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:42 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Not at all true.
A company isn't going to fire a guy who had a beer at lunch. They may give him a warning but you don't just fire an employee for something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
There's a great line in a Simpsons episode where Carl states to Homer (something to the effect of): "I could tell something was bothering you Homer, you've only had three lunch beers."

At my last employer (2004-2006) the four younger guys (myself incl.) would go to Henry's Pizza on 105th-ish and Roberts Road once or twice a month on Fridays. We'd each have one...maybe two beers. We'd usually stay an extra half hour after work and have a beer also. Sometimes we'd have office backed cook out on Fridays with beer, and go back to work. Come to think of it, Fridays were pretty fun back then. :lol:

Not much anymore. In the nearly 7 years with this company, we've never had office beers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I doubt most companies would or could do something to you if you had a beer at lunch unless you operate heavy machinery. I don't see many employment contracts stating you need to stay at 0.0 at all times.

Some just need a reason to pull the trigger, especially in an at-will state.

Unless you are operating heavy machinery obviously.

i work at a facility filled with heavy machinery, many that could flatten you into a pancake in milliseconds
1/2 the work force is routinely drunk by mid-morning
led by the owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Not at all true.
A company isn't going to fire a guy who had a beer at lunch. They may give him a warning but you don't just fire an employee for something like that.
Why are you speaking like Scorehead with this? You don't know this to be fact so you shouldn't talk like it is.

If a company has it in their rules that having any alcohol in your system on company time then you absolutely can get fired for having one beer at lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Not at all true.
Why are you speaking like Scorehead with this? You don't know this to be fact so you shouldn't talk like it is.

If a company has it in their rules that having any alcohol in your system on company time then you absolutely can get fired for having one beer at lunch.

Obviously.

I think Rick's point was many companies don't have such language in their rules.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm going to check our handbook on Monday. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Companies look the other way all the time at stuff. If there is heavy machinery or something involved it is different as I said. However, if you sit in a cubicle and you show up to work after having one beer you aren't going to get fired unless there are other reasons they want you to go.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yeah, but they won't. You can get fired for showing up one minute late too. It won't happen. It's a huge hassle to fire someone.

Now, if you have 4 drinks at lunch we are having a different discussion. They probably wouldn't even know if you had one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:52 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Obviously.

I think Rick's point was many companies don't have such language in their rules.
Not only that, but company handbooks are often not reality unless it is a true safety issue.

If you get fired because you had one beer at lunch then they wanted to get rid of you anyways. A halfway decent employee isn't getting shown the door because they would have blown a .01.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

Just stop Rick. You are wrong. Depending on what company you work for and what their rules are is is entirely possible to get fired for having a lunch beer. Hassle or not. I've been thru it before with an old sales rep. Its entirely possible.

Henry's turned into a Durbins, and I'm not sure what it is now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:57 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Just stop Rick. You are wrong. Depending on what company you work for and what their rules are is is entirely possible to get fired for having a lunch beer. Hassle or not. I've been thru it before with an old sales rep. Its entirely possible.
So he was an otherwise perfect employee and he drank one beer at lunch and he was fired? Your company is insane.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:58 pm 

i actually agree with Rick here just based on what little experience i have
at the last place i worked we had an older guy who worked on 2nd shift, came in at 2:30..he was technically below me and then where was my boss
so my boss calls me into his office one day, shuts the doors and says 'someone has been saying that Alex is coming in smelling like liquor'
i hadn't really noticed it since i only saw him for an hour or so before i went home , but after that there were several more instances and several more warnings to him, some that i was unfortunately forced to be part of as a witness
and he still works there

so i agree, it depends on how good of a worker you are and what the companies options are. i'm sure if you're a walmart cashier it's probably pretty easy to replace you but if you are working a more skilled job and are a decent worker, i think more often than not you'll get the benefit of the doubt until your transgressions get to the point where they simply cannot be ignored

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Keeping Score wrote:
It is the rare company that doesn't have some sort of policy against drinking alcohol while on the clock.

And I'm glad mine is that rare company.

Happy Friday, boys!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:59 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

Did I say he was a perfect employee? Did I say he "wasn't going to last very long anyway" as you have assumed the case to be?

You are proclaiming things here that simply are not true. You can think its crazy or stupid or whatever you want. But the fact is you are stating many things in this thread that are flat out wrong.

I will say that normally it is a hassle to fire somebody, but it absolutely can happen for a minute violation of rules. When I worked at Radio Shack our district manager at the time was thought to have been stealing $, but nobody had any real proof. Well a security camera caught him taking a candy bar from one of the stores, eating it, and never paying for it. They had video evidence of theft and they fired him for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin is right...JORR is Billy's doppleganger.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:05 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Again, good luck.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Again, good luck.

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Keeping Score wrote:
Savage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Did I say he was a perfect employee? Did I say he "wasn't going to last very long anyway" as you have assumed the case to be?
Was he a good employee? I have a feeling he was underperforming or not really needed and it was a good excuse.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
You are proclaiming things here that simply are not true. You can think its crazy or stupid or whatever you want. But the fact is you are stating many things in this thread that are flat out wrong.
Why are you so sensitive? If it makes you feel better, I'll amend it to "At most companies, they aren't going to fire you if you have one beer at lunch, even if it is against the rules". A word of advice though, if your company is so strict that you would be fired for having one beer at lunch then I would recommend searching for another job. That is insane.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I will say that normally it is a hassle to fire somebody, but it absolutely can happen for a minute violation of rules. When I worked at Radio Shack our district manager at the time was thought to have been stealing $, but nobody had any real proof. Well a security camera caught him taking a candy bar from one of the stores, eating it, and never paying for it. They had video evidence of theft and they fired him for it.
Huh? They thought he was stealing and then caught him stealing and fired him. That is my point! They were using the candy bar as an excuse because they didn't like him for a larger reason! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:07 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
If that truly is JORR, kudos on the business attire.

You can ride my plane anytime in that garb. And that is both literal and a euphemism.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:07 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Again, good luck.
Don't make me put you on the don't respond list as a permanent member.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:09 pm 

Is that really JORR? I gotta say I wish I hadn't seen that. It ruins my image of him. He is now a human being instead of a guy who looks like he was probably a guest star on the Sopranos.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
If that truly is JORR, kudos on the business attire.

You can ride my plane anytime in that garb. And that is both literal and a euphemism.

I have a feeling there is a mattress on the floor...or at the very best a "casting couch" (futon) not in the frame.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Again, good luck.
Don't make me put you on the don't respond list as a permanent member.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

A never-ending argument with you is an honor, Rick.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
JORR drinking the beer of savages. Color me disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
redskingreg wrote:
JORR drinking the beer of savages. Color me disappointed.

We also bought something called Pumpkick but it's in the freezer getting cold right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next