It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Bagels wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Bagels wrote:
i'm making ice cream sandwiches

On the smoker?

Cold smoker, he is using dry ice.

well, *I* will be smoking, that's for sure

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

OK guys, my Turkey fryer was just delivered today.

Should I inject it with a marinade before deep frying or not?

If you advocate injection, please describe your marinade of choice.

Light 'em up like Christmas trees!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Make sure you fill the cavity with ice.

The kids love fireworks shows

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:12 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
OK guys, my Turkey fryer was just delivered today.

Should I inject it with a marinade before deep frying or not?

If you advocate injection, please describe your marinade of choice.

Light 'em up like Christmas trees!

Fill it with a jumbo Hershey Kiss.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I've been using a pressure cooker to cook potatoes (for mashed) and for making killer chicken stock. The potatoes take only about 8 minutes and the stock about 2 hours. The potatoes also retain more flavor compared to the dilution that occurs when you boil them.

For the stock, just take a couple of rotisserie chicken carcasses (I save them after eating a Costco $4.99 bird), and some onions/celery/carrots/peppercorns/garlic/bay leaves (any or all, whatever you have on hand), add about a gallon of water, and you're set after about two hours. Put through a strainer, chill, and remove the fat that has risen to the top. Separate into some containers for freezing. You know it's good if it's gelatinous when cool. Having homemade chicken stock is probably the best ways to make countless dishes better. Of course, gravy and sauces are two of the most important. I use Alton Brown's recipe for gravy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgaRhSuryA4

This year I'd like to try adding some root vegetables to my mashed potatoes. Any suggestions on turnips vs parsnips vs rutabagas?

Oh, and for turkey, I've found spatchcocking :wink: to be the best technique. The turkey cooks in half the time (with white and dark meat cooked evenly), the skin is more uniformly crispy, and because you are removing the backbone, you can roast it (and the neck) to add flavor to your gravy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:37 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Should I add vegetable stock to the water when I do the potatoes in the instant pot? Does it matter?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Curious Hair wrote:
Should I add vegetable stock to the water when I do the potatoes in the instant pot? Does it matter?

no. peel and cut into roughly 1 inch pieces, boil them in salted water until they are done (15 minutes or so), mash with any combination of the following: milk, cream, sour cream, butter, good chicken stock.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:52 pm 

I do little potatoes and use milk, butter, and chive/onion cream cheese. I don't like big fluffy potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:54 pm 

well why would you want to contaminate that with some crappy veg stock out of a can/box?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:56 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I do little potatoes and use milk, butter, and chive/onion cream cheese. I don't like big fluffy potatoes.

I would be afraid of the other extreme...if you're using red/waxy potatoes and adding cream cheese, they could become gluey. Would probably still taste good. Perhaps sour cream instead of cream cheese would lighten them up a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
This year I'd like to try adding some root vegetables to my mashed potatoes. Any suggestions on turnips vs parsnips vs rutabagas?

i like a nice root vegetable salad
diced & roasted carrots, turnips, beets, parsnips...with some greens, red onion, maytag bleu cheese, pecans...it's nice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:

Are you beating or mashing?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:58 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
[ Perhaps sour cream instead of cream cheese would lighten them up a bit.

The man said he likes heavy potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I would be afraid of the other extreme...if you're using red/waxy potatoes and adding cream cheese, they could become gluey. Would probably still taste good. Perhaps sour cream instead of cream cheese would lighten them up a bit.

This. Sour cream is my go to when making mashed potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Hatchetman wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
[ Perhaps sour cream instead of cream cheese would lighten them up a bit.

The man said he likes heavy potatoes.

maybe make funeral potatoes instead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Are you beating or mashing?

Just mashing, I think if I put a hand mixer to them then they would indeed get too gluey. I didn't have that problem last year just smashing them up, but they did taste a lot earthier than mashed-potatoes-as-butter-delivery-device.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
I bet goat cheese would be good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:49 pm 

I will be making a big turd in the guest bathroom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
good dolphin wrote:

Well, we know who runs the whistler mult...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

so no different from what you do here, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
I've been using a pressure cooker to cook potatoes (for mashed) and for making killer chicken stock. The potatoes take only about 8 minutes and the stock about 2 hours. The potatoes also retain more flavor compared to the dilution that occurs when you boil them.

For the stock, just take a couple of rotisserie chicken carcasses (I save them after eating a Costco $4.99 bird), and some onions/celery/carrots/peppercorns/garlic/bay leaves (any or all, whatever you have on hand), add about a gallon of water, and you're set after about two hours. Put through a strainer, chill, and remove the fat that has risen to the top. Separate into some containers for freezing. You know it's good if it's gelatinous when cool. Having homemade chicken stock is probably the best ways to make countless dishes better. Of course, gravy and sauces are two of the most important. I use Alton Brown's recipe for gravy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgaRhSuryA4

Oh, and for turkey, I've found spatchcocking :wink: to be the best technique. The turkey cooks in half the time (with white and dark meat cooked evenly), the skin is more uniformly crispy, and because you are removing the backbone, you can roast it (and the neck) to add flavor to your gravy.

That's good info about making stock in a pressure cooker. I've never tried that before, although I make stock fairly frequently.

I've seen the Alton Brown gravy recipe before, though I've never tried it. Isn't the red wine kind of overpowering?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

no. peel and cut into roughly 1 inch pieces, boil them in salted water until they are done (15 minutes or so), mash with any combination of the following: milk, cream, sour cream, butter, good chicken stock.

1-inch pieces seem too small for mashed potatoes. Small chunks will increase water absorption and likely cause the potatoes to be sticky. Better to use larger chunks, or at least a low-starch potato like a Yukon Gold as opposed to a Russet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:30 pm 

well maybe 1.5" pieces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Of course, keeping the peel on impedes water absorption. I typically peel mine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:35 pm 

But there's so much flavor in the skin!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:05 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I've seen the Alton Brown gravy recipe before, though I've never tried it. Isn't the red wine kind of overpowering?

I should have stated I use white wine, but one of these days might try red.

Also, regarding the pressure-cooker stock, some say to add a spoonful of apple cider vinegar to aid in the extraction of collagen from the bones.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I need to get one and try it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Grilling a 21lb turkey. The usual fixings.
Pretty much this again, 22.5lb bird.
3 hours and 20 minutes an indirect Heat and the thing is done. Crazy!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Smoked a bacon wrapped 8lb turkey breast last night.

Prepped 2 stuffings...one with dried cranberries and one with dried sour cherries and walnuts.

Brined a 14lb turkey and roasted it today.

19lb rib roast. Just whipped up some horseradish sauce for it.

Struggled getting a rise out of the Parker House Roll dough...ended up making 3 batches that all turned out fine. Lots of rolls.

Boneless stuffed turkey...misc cold salads from Chef-T.

Ran out of time to bake cake. Substituted french pastries.

Just came home to chill for 10 minutes and change.

May consume a gummy to survive the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
A bacon wrapped breast sounds amazing. Can you post or PM the recipe for that? I don't have a smoker, but I assume this can be done over the Kingsfords as well yeah?

How did you veggies and stuff turn out, CH?

I couldn't believe my turkey cooked as quick as it did. I'm pretty religious about going out there every 40-45min to add charcoals to each side. Normally I add about 3 or 4 briquets, but Thursday I was adding about six to each side as it was a touch cooler weather than last year and the bird was a little bigger. Family showed up about 3, and the stuffing and (precooked) ham went into the oven. My sister had homemade mashed potatoes in an instapot. My mom asked me where we were on the turkey, and I said I would check with the thermometer next time I went out there, which was about 3:20 or so. I had put the turkey on the grill at 11:45 with the hopes of having the turkey done around 4:30-4:45, to make a 5:15 dinner time. My wife was on call Thanksgiving Day. Normally we eat a bit earlier (3-3:30) but I wanted to make sure she had to time get home and shower and whatnot in case she was at the hospital until 3. She was out from about 6am til 1:30 or so.

Anyway, my phone alarm goes off so I go out there and pull the bird off, add the charcoal, then check the temp with the meat thermometer. Three places in the breast, 180. Both legs were at 165. This 22lb beast was done in barely three hours. I nearly shit myself and after basting checked the temps again and they were still right on. So I closed the grates about 3/4 and left the turkey on the grill for another 20min or so as the other foods had to cook. Pulled it off the grill about 3:40, let it set until 4 as by this point the other foods were done so it all worked out. Meijer had turkeys at $0.33lb a couple weeks ago, so I got two because that was an insanely good deal. The big bird for Thanksgiving, and like a 12lb that I'll grill for just the two of us possibly Sunday. I suppose it was my bad for not having the thermometer in the turkey the entire time, which is a mistake a I won't make when I grill the smaller one.

Used an empty beer can with some aromatics- sage, tyme, a bay leaf, slices of onion, and a garlic clove- in about 2" of water which definitely seemed to help add some flavor. My trusty orange cut in half and placed in the cavity of the bird worked wonders again as well. I had rubbed the turkey with olive oil (under the skin as well) and seasoned it with steak seasoning which I thought turned out great. Perfectly moist and juicy bird, so much so that in transferring from the grill pan to the cutting board the left wing simply fell off so everybody got to have a little taste as the bird was resting. AJ's favorite part of the meal was the damn jellied cranberries :lol:

Just a terrific Thanksgiving overall. Family stayed until about 8, my sister helped clean up and my parents watched the little ones while we did so. Had a great dinner party with some friends, MANY Drinks, and an awesome lasagna on Saturday, so it was just a wonderful weekend to kickoff the Holiday season. If your weekend was half as good as mine, you had yourself a great time.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next