It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
shakes wrote:

I'd trust the Yelp reviews and the sample size they provide vs a handful of people here who most likely don't live in that neighborhood.

Yelp is pretty good but I like to have recommendations from people I know too. You never know who has a good rec for a lesser known place and sometimes the general population doesn't know shit. Much of the time the #1 or the "best" isn't. It's just the most expensive, trendy, tourist traps, or place to be seen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Spaulding wrote:
shakes wrote:

I'd trust the Yelp reviews and the sample size they provide vs a handful of people here who most likely don't live in that neighborhood.

Yelp is pretty good but I like to have recommendations from people I know too. You never know who has a good rec for a lesser known place and sometimes the general population doesn't know shit. Much of the time the #1 or the "best" isn't. It's just the most expensive, trendy, tourist traps, or place to be seen.

I've done very well on Yelp. Never had a problem checking out reviews and photos and being able to figure out if a place is good or not. I think I'm batting 100% with that method.

rex from people you know AND trust is good, but I would still follow that up by looking at what Yelp says.

I doubt there's more than 2-3 people here who have any clue about what's in Wrigleyvile, everyone else is just chiming in based on going there once every few years.

Hell look at Dolphin, he even lives in the city and still recommended a closed dump like Penny's Noodles. That place hasn't been good since 1995.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:15 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
shakes wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
shakes wrote:

I've done very well on Yelp. Never had a problem checking out reviews and photos and being able to figure out if a place is good or not. I think I'm batting 100% with that method.

rex from people you know AND trust is good, but I would still follow that up by looking at what Yelp says.

I doubt there's more than 2-3 people here who have any clue about what's in Wrigleyvile, everyone else is just chiming in based on going there once every few years.

Hell look at Dolphin, he even lives in the city and still recommended a closed dump like Penny's Noodles. That place hasn't been good since 1995.

Shots fired. lawyer on lawyer crime.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:40 am 

shakes wrote:

dolphin likes polish food so discount most of what he says when it comes to food.

Yelp is full of people going once every few years or season for a Cubs game and cool bar shit. - I'd assume that most don't know the neighborhood either. I would take friends over yelp on this one.

Mama's Fish House according to thousands of people hands down the best restaurant in Maui on any of those sites. I can think of 4 restaurants I'd go back to before that one and 6 that I'd like to try. Same way I wouldn't put Rosebud or RPM high on a list of Chicago Italian restaurants.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Spaulding wrote:
shakes wrote:

dolphin likes polish food so discount most of what he says when it comes to food.

Yelp is full of people going once every few years or season for a Cubs game and cool bar shit. - I'd assume that most don't know the neighborhood either. I would take friends over yelp on this one.

Mama's Fish House according to thousands of people hands down the best restaurant in Maui on any of those sites. I can think of 4 restaurants I'd go back to before that one and 6 that I'd like to try. Same way I wouldn't put Rosebud or RPM high on a list of Chicago Italian restaurants.

^
this guy is correct.

yelp suffers a lot from confirmation bias as well as exaggeration.

"waiter was slightly rude. OMG. 1 star. never going back!!!!"

Last edited by Kirkwood on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:46 am 

One-Star yelp reviews are great. I love reading them. You know about 99% of them are just submitted by the most mieserable people ever.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
One-Star yelp reviews are great. I love reading them. You know about 99% of them are just submitted by the most mieserable people ever.

bigfan wrote:
first, let me tell everyone it is in the former Ubberstein location, new tenants! (Clark and Cornelia)

Thus it is right down the street from me, so I gave them a few days to get their shit together, before I visited.

1. It's "SWEET BABY RAYS"...AND YOU DON'T GIVE ME ANY EXTRA BBQ SAUCE!!!! For a $23$ Slab of Baby Backs, with Fries and slaw! Serious???? YOUR NAME IS THE DAMN SAUCE! Not that I love the Corn Syrup based Kraft now owned product, but it needed more sauce and the name of your place is the name of the sauce!! I will just chalk that one up to opening day jitters! Cmon Man!

2. The Ribs are really good! I am a picky rib snob! The Barn on Wrightwood..sucks! crosbys kitchen...F U! The Piggery..you can take your alleged fire and shove it...or Sheffields (next time you sell me day old ribs, think about it!) .,...but theez is sum fine azz ribs at Rays!.....they are just a notch below Lillys, which I think are the best in town..besides mine, but I am only making 10 slabs at a time and it makes it tough to plan the timing on slabs all night for customers.

3. THE SAUCE! How do you not have mini bottles of the stuff to give out in every order! Or even a small Solo cup filled with the product????

4. Will come back and try some of the other stuff now, but I always feel the Baby Backs are the toughest to make and keep, ready for customers to consume, as they take multiple hours to prepare right! I will always try a new rub place and I am usually disappointed! But gotta say RAYS.....Just missed...GIMME SOME DAMN SAUCE....HOW DOU NOT GIVE ME BBQ SAUCE??????? But thanks for the extra set of Plastic utensils!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:00 pm 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Seacrest wrote:
shakes wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
shakes wrote:

Shots fired. lawyer on lawyer crime.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Douchebag wrote:

Buncha Julie DiCaros, for sure.

You should check out Townstone Financial's Yelp. Hochberg's henchmen get on there and call the reviewers names.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
leashyourkids wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Buncha Julie DiCaros, for sure.

You should check out Townstone Financial's Yelp. Hochberg's henchmen get on there and call the reviewers names.

not any more...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:49 pm 

Did they delete them?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
leashyourkids wrote:
Did they delete them?

he's not working there anymore.

maybe I should have clarified that comment...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Kirkwood wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
shakes wrote:

^
this guy is correct.

yelp suffers a lot from confirmation bias as well as exaggeration.

"waiter was slightly rude. OMG. 1 star. never going back!!!!"

That's why you need to read Yelp with a critical eye. Obviously disregard a review like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:33 pm 

:lol: They're still there. Some of these reviews are great...

David Hockberg screwed me into my home by telling me to "sign the f****g paperwork". HUGE MISTAKE. I've been locked into my $3250 a month mortgage due to them. He told me I would be out of it in 4 months, but the bubble burst. I called David back many of times and he blamed me- of course.

While returning my phone call for the first time, David proclaimed "Hey.... Whatever the F*ck your name is"... Then he paused, while shuffling through his papers to find my name... This shocked me... and I decided to find another broker.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:35 pm 

He's like the Baby McCown of customer service.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
His new company Perl Mortgage isn't getting great reviews, either.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/perl-mortgage-chicago

Quote:
Terrible service. Got an immediate response from them after my initial inquiry. I was then told they'd get back to me in 24 hours. Never happened. I emailed them several days later. Got an immediate call back and apology for forgetting me. Was told again they'd get back to me. Never happened.
I am a disabled combat vet. Perl can shove "we take care of veterans" in their ads where the sun don't shine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:11 pm 

Is this Pick On good dolphin Day?

dicks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:12 pm 

shakes wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
shakes wrote:

I also recommended an excellent place you have probably never tried.

Maybe you could direct him to China Club.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:30 pm 

Your Il Vicinato rec from years ago was fabulous. I assume most of the time you don't know what you are talking about, seems fair.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:32 pm 

The trick is to say it with conviction. People want to believe.