It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mariano's "gimmicks"
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I always told my wife their pricing isn't that great. Their newest think is to sale just 12 packs of pop for the price of a 24 pack. Also,good luck trying to find a 24 pack of anything pop-related.

The Jewels always has some pop on sale. I always felt Jewells pricing was reasonable.

Post subject: Re: Mariano's "gimmicks"
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:44 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
The cost of soda is preposterous. I have to check Meijer's and da Jewels sale papers to see who's gonna shove it up my moon a bit more gently. Plus, you usually have to buy 3 or 4 at a time to get the sale price ... hey buddy, you can get 3 twelvers for $10, or you can buy just one of 'em for $6 - such a deal! At least Meijer's will have their generic sodas pretty consistently in the $3/12 range ... pretty good diet grape, good enough diet orange ... in a pinch their knockoff diet Mt. Dew can get the job done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:49 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
The cost of soda is preposterous. I have to check Meijer's and da Jewels sale papers to see who's gonna shove it up my moon a bit more gently. Plus, you usually have to buy 3 or 4 at a time to get the sale price ... hey buddy, you can get 3 twelvers for $10, or you can buy just one of 'em for $6 - such a deal! At least Meijer's will have their generic sodas pretty consistently in the $3/12 range ... pretty good diet grape, good enough diet orange ... in a pinch their knockoff diet Mt. Dew can get the job done.

I used to love Meijer's but it's like shopping at one of those warehouses.I don't like walking 3.5 miles in between picking up eggs and cereal. My Jewells is a regular sized grocer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
jimmypasta wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

I used to love Meijer's but it's like shopping at one of those warehouses.I don't like walking 3.5 miles in between picking up eggs and cereal. My Jewells is a regular sized grocer.

Meijer isn't that bad...now, if I need to buy deodorant and beer, then it's like a 10 mile walk uphill both ways in that place.

Jewel sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Drink water, you pre-diabetic dbags.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:16 am 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Drink water, you pre-diabetic dbags.

I try. most of the time I'm drinking vitamin water zero or those "ice" drinks with vitamins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Meijer isn't that bad...now, if I need to buy deodorant and beer, then it's like a 10 mile walk uphill both ways in that place.

Jewel sucks.

Agreed

I like Meijer for certain things, but its like participating in a marathon.

I shop at Jewel, but dislike it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:25 am 

Cashman wrote:
Agreed

They opened a Meijer in Round Lake back in July. My wife is happy because she's from Michigan, and that's what she grew up with. I like it because their prices are pretty good, the produce is very good, and their meat department is great. We have a Jewel and a Mariano's within 5 minutes of my house, and other than buying beer at either, I hate going to both. Jewel's produce is disgusting. I had to run in there on Saturday because I was in a time crunch. Literally every tub of strawberries were already past the point of being worth buying because they were going to be rotten within a couple of days.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Don Tiny wrote:

THE MAN wants you to pay more.

http://www.ibtimes.com/turning-point-so ... ry-2079352

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:25 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Agreed

They opened a Meijer in Round Lake back in July. My wife is happy because she's from Michigan, and that's what she grew up with. I like it because their prices are pretty good, the produce is very good, and their meat department is great. We have a Jewel and a Mariano's within 5 minutes of my house, and other than buying beer at either, I hate going to both. Jewel's produce is disgusting. I had to run in there on Saturday because I was in a time crunch. Literally every tub of strawberries were already past the point of being worth buying because they were going to be rotten within a couple of days.

They save the good produce for the classier suburbs like Arlington Heights.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
jimmypasta wrote:
They save the good produce for the classier suburbs like Arlington Heights.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Agreed

They don't have a decent piece of fruit at the Jewels. The apples are mealy, the oranges are dry. I don't know what's going on with the Papayas!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
everyone here is absolutely correct- Jewel produce is nasty

most everywhere else carries Driscoll's berries, they have some off brand that is never fresh. EVER.
all those prepackaged Earthbound salads are always about to expire in 1 day

and on top of that they charge way higher prices than everywhere else too

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:09 pm 

Cashman wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Jewel sucks.

Agreed

Geez ... I'm the blimp around here and I'm able to shamble around the store when I need to without it feeling like some Biblical nomadic sojourn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:13 pm 

DT,
No matter what kind of shape anyone is in,the point is if I want to walk I'll do it in a secluded part of the forest preserves where young ladies like to jog. For my groceries,there shouldn't be 1000 steps between my orange juice and my bran muffins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I take my dad to Meijer once every six week so he can stock up on less perishable shit like crackers, oatmeal, canned pears, and all the similar things where Ultra or Jewel try to ass-rape him. The Bolingbrook one is right next to the Costco, so we can stop there as well and get whatever else he needs and fill up my gas tank, and get right back on 355 and be at his place in 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:28 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
DT,
No matter what kind of shape anyone is in,the point is if I want to walk I'll do it in a secluded part of the forest preserves where young ladies like to jog. For my groceries,there shouldn't be 1000 steps between my orange juice and my bran muffins.

:lol:

Terrible IT guy is now passing your IP address along to the authorities to assist in future investigations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:30 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
DT,

:lol:

Terrible IT guy is now passing your IP address along to the authorities to assist in future investigations.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:38 pm 

A Mariano's just opened up somewhat near me at 63rd/Cass in Westmont. Not that far away from the Whole Foods I go to about once a month at 63rd/83.

What would I be getting at Mariano's that makes it worth a stop?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
A Mariano's just opened up somewhat near me at 63rd/Cass in Westmont. Not that far away from the Whole Foods I go to about once a month at 63rd/83.

Not much. Their produce isn't great. I don't like the deli. Meat and bakery has been good. Aisle items are expensive. I had high hopes but wah wah wah results

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Bagels wrote:
and on top of that they charge way higher prices than everywhere else too
But its buy 1 get 1 free! Where else can you get two packages of TBone steaks for $27.99?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:42 pm 

Compared to Whole Foods, cheaper groceries...by a little.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:50 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Not much. Their produce isn't great. I don't like the deli. Meat and bakery has been good. Aisle items are expensive. I had high hopes but wah wah wah results

So basically, the guy who ran Dominick's left Dominck's and went up there and opened up this brand as part of Roundy's, and then Dominick's closes so he invests back in Chicago and puts in a place that is essentially the same fucking high-end Dominick's which originally closed?

Brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:53 pm 

Hold on Chet,

Mariano's will grill your meat to your liking while you do your other shopping. That's pretty nice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:53 pm 

You can walk around with a pint of whatever they have on tap. That's kinda cool. The one in Naperville had $3.00 pints a couple of Fridays ago. No idea if that's a weekly thing or what.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Ha yeah I guess so. I go to fresh thyme, standard market, Whole Foods and the jewel. I heard a petes fresh mkt is opening where the Kmart was on rt 83. Don't know if that's true or not.

Do they charge you to grill the meat? I know people eat there and do the oyster bar but if I'm going out to dinner I prefer it's not to a grocery store.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:56 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Hold on Chet,

Mariano's will grill your meat to your liking while you do your other shopping. That's pretty nice.

ok, now that has my attention. That's what I meant by my original question - what are their gimmicks to make me willing to pay extra for the can of baked beans I really don't need to buy today but don't feel like making a special trip tomorrow to buy at Walmart?

- grilled meats
- $3 beers with open carry in the store

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Spaulding wrote:
Ha yeah I guess so. I go to fresh thyme, standard market, Whole Foods and the jewel. I heard a petes fresh mkt is opening where the Kmart was on rt 83. Don't know if that's true or not.

Do they charge you to grill the meat? I know people eat there and do the oyster bar but if I'm going out to dinner I prefer it's not to a grocery store.

i've said it before but Pete's comes closest to any grocery store to being a one-stop shop.....their meat & seafood is just so-so, but they have nearly every other area covered

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:01 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Hold on Chet,

ok, now that has my attention. That's what I meant by my original question - what are their gimmicks to make me willing to pay extra for the can of baked beans I really don't need to buy today but don't feel like making a special trip tomorrow to buy at Walmart?

- grilled meats

The full stores are like this.

They opened one in Glenview (Northbrook) right off the Tri state with a sushi bar, bar, bbq pit, full grill, etc.

The Gurnee one has the grill, but that's about it...the ones that used to be Dominicks are very basic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:07 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Hold on Chet,

- grilled meats

Gimmicks? Christ, do you want them to carry your balls around in a gold-plated spoon as you shop? Buy your shit and get the hell out of there. :D

I can't remember an era of so many grocery stores. When I was a kid, it was the Jewels, Dominick's, Eagle, and Butera, but really it was just the first 2. I included Eagle and Butera merely to show off my memory of other stores. Cub Food was also a thing for a few years.

It's very competitve right now, and Jewels has been my go to over the years, but not so much any more. My wife and I went to Jewels last weekend, and their milk prices are never competitive. I told my wife they're smart to do that. Why? Chances are you went there for other crap and remembered you also needed milk. Even though their price is higher than other stores, you bite the bullet and buy it anyway given you probably have a cart full of other stuff. Dollar cost average the milk vs. the other "good" buys you get.

Fresh Thyme's prices on chicken are usually very competitive. They also have nice deals on produce, especially their bell peppers. And it's all top notch stuff. Caputo's is OK. Pretty much only go to Aldi for milk.