It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bourbon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
GoldenJet wrote:
Big fan of the Booker's

I like the wooden crate that contains the bottle.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Has anyone tried:

Rebel Yell Single Barrel
Elijah Craig 12 Year Single Barrel
Four Roses Single Barrel
1792 Sweet Wheat

I had read these were highly rated but I was not able to find them at Binny's or Woodmans. The guy a Binny's said Rebel Yell Single Barrel and 1792 Sweet Wheat are allocated and none of their stores have them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:39 pm 

The Four Roses was just ok imo. Not really memorable iirc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Four Roses and Elijah Craig are both good. Terrific in a Kentucky Mule or mixed with ginger ale.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 pm 

I think Blanton's is still my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:50 am 

My brother in law brought a bottle of rip van winkle 10 to Christmas dinner. It was good, maybe just a touch too strong. He picked it up for $60 which seems expensive with so much bourbon on the market. He told me it is hard to find and could be sold for $400 on the secondary market which is simply insane.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
good dolphin wrote:
My brother in law brought a bottle of rip van winkle 10 to Christmas dinner. It was good, maybe just a touch too strong. He picked it up for $60 which seems expensive with so much bourbon on the market. He told me it is hard to find and could be sold for $400 on the secondary market which is simply insane.

10? I'm sorry your family is poor.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
good dolphin wrote:

He's correct. However, like "whale" beers, the price is a function of it's scarcity rather than the quality.

Bourbon and beer culture is overpopulated with cretins.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I have a bunch of beer drinking friends picking up excess inventory of some kind of Goose Island offering and reselling it on eBay to people in other parts of the country who don't know that the local price here in Chicago is cratering.

I don't understand it all, but good for them for taking advantage of beer snobs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:45 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I have a bunch of beer drinking friends picking up excess inventory of some kind of Goose Island offering and reselling it on eBay to people in other parts of the country who don't know that the local price here in Chicago is cratering.

I don't understand it all, but good for them for taking advantage of beer snobs.

When I lived in Rome, Budweiser was treated as an imported beer by both the sellers and consumers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:47 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

The 23-year only has a few bottles a year, and they're nearly impossible to get. They go for four figures. I've had it before, and it was awesome bourbon, but that price just means there are stupid or rich people willing to overpay for liquor. The White Chocolate Grill in Naperville has a slew of different bourbons, and they claim to have the Pappy 23 for like 60 dollars a shot or something. I don't know if or when they actually have it in stock, though. I'll never find out, either, because that's a completely asinine price.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Kirkwood wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He's correct. However, like "whale" beers, the price is a function of it's scarcity rather than the quality.

Bourbon and beer culture is overpopulated with cretins.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Eaglo wrote:
My favorite is Dewar's.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Regular Reader wrote:
The Four Roses was just ok imo. Not really memorable iirc

The "regular" Four Roses I had years ago was just OK, too, so I was hesitant to try this one.

Binny's had Angel's Envy on sale so I bought a bottle of that and Carpano Antica Formula vermouth. That combination makes a nice Manhattan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
good dolphin wrote:
My father in law likes to come over to the house uninvited for bullshit reasons knowing that I am a good host and will offer him a drink even when I want nothing more than to be left alone. He likes me to have Bulliet. He loves to come over to the house uninvited when I am not home and have several drinks. He polished off a bottle of Angel's Envy when I was on vacation.

I like Basil Hayden. Some people think it is like me: too sweet. I think it is also like me: perfect.

He sounds like an asshole.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:48 am 

Darkside wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
My father in law likes to come over to the house uninvited for bullshit reasons knowing that I am a good host and will offer him a drink even when I want nothing more than to be left alone. He likes me to have Bulliet. He loves to come over to the house uninvited when I am not home and have several drinks. He polished off a bottle of Angel's Envy when I was on vacation.

I like Basil Hayden. Some people think it is like me: too sweet. I think it is also like me: perfect.

Definitely not an asshole. I like the guy. I'd say he can be a pest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Nick&Vito's
Darkside wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Nice guys don't come into your home while nobody is home and drink $50 worth of bourbon. Those people are called burglars.

How you think he'd feel if you were wandering around his place taking what you please?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:14 am 

Darkside wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Nice guys don't come into your home while nobody is home and drink $50 worth of bourbon. Those people are called burglars.

How you think he'd feel if you were wandering around his place taking what you please?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:14 am 

Chilli Palmer wrote:
Darkside wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Crush up some laxatives, and put them in the bottle before he comes over next time.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Chilli Palmer wrote:
Darkside wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Dolphin took his daughter. I'd say the dude is entitled to as much of gd's bourbon as his liver will allow him to consume.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:24 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Chilli Palmer wrote:
Darkside wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Dolphin took his daughter. I'd say the dude is entitled to as much of gd's bourbon as his liver will allow him to consume.

Agreed, even though it's Frank.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:29 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Chilli Palmer wrote:
Darkside wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I would hope his daughter had a choice in the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
after 4 or 5 they all taste the same. Jim Beam is best bang for buck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:32 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
after 4 or 5 they all taste the same.

If your palette sucks.

Hatchetman wrote:
Jim Beam is best bang for buck.

Jim Beam is awful. Nobody should ever drink that garbage.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Chus wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

If your palette sucks.

Hatchetman wrote:

Yeah but mila Kunis is hot.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:14 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Chus wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

If your palette sucks.

Hatchetman wrote:

Yeah but mila Kunis is hot.

I've tried the Devils Cut. It's not too bad. I've also tried their small batch which was also ok. Wouldn't drink it exclusively but it'll do in a pinch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Evan Williams single barrel is great for the price. If you are mixing, can't go wrong with the Costco brand for the price.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:14 am 
SteveSarley wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Basil Hayden is absolutely the best.
I don't know which is more rare, the Cubs winning a pennant or me agreeing with you.

Then it's really gonna fuck with your head that I agree with this as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:47 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Evan Williams single barrel is great for the price. If you are mixing, can't go wrong with the Costco brand for the price.

Drinking the Costco brand straight up is dreadful. Grey Goose might make the vodka, but I think Ten High is making the bourbon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:57 pm 

To each their own, but if I'm mixing with pop, it's gonna be some low end shit.