It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
the out of towners I've taken to Portillos have all been thoroughly impressed. Leads me to believe it's not overrated and the ones saying it is are spoiled by the tremendous amount of quality food options in the area.

They're all high when they eat it so that doesn't count.

No one said Portillo's is bad. Even if you think Portillo's is awesome, that doesn't preclude it from being overrated. Portillo's is bragged up more than any place I can think of. When I have people from out of town, the first thing they say is they want to try Portillo's. It's so popular that saying it's overrated isn't really even an insult.

Also, it may technically be fast food, but it shouldn't be compared to typical "fast food" restaurants. It's more fair to compare it to local beef/gyro/sandwich joints that actually serve fresh food and take a few minutes to fill your order.

Completely disagree with your last point. It's a textbook fast food chain. It's unfair to compare it local mom and pop places.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
the out of towners I've taken to Portillos have all been thoroughly impressed. Leads me to believe it's not overrated and the ones saying it is are spoiled by the tremendous amount of quality food options in the area.

No one said Portillo's is bad. Even if you think Portillo's is awesome, that doesn't preclude it from being overrated. Portillo's is bragged up more than any place I can think of. When I have people from out of town, the first thing they say is they want to try Portillo's. It's so popular that saying it's overrated isn't really even an insult.

Also, it may technically be fast food, but it shouldn't be compared to typical "fast food" restaurants. It's more fair to compare it to local beef/gyro/sandwich joints that actually serve fresh food and take a few minutes to fill your order.

Completely disagree with your last point. It's a textbook fast food chain. It's unfair to compare it local mom and pop places.

So you think Portillo's is more similar to McDonald's than Luke's?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:25 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

So you think Portillo's is more similar to McDonald's than Luke's?

Isn't Luke's a chain too? I know of at least two.

But yeah, it's more comparable to Beef Shack or Buona Beef(except much better than both) than it is a local shop with only one location.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:32 pm 

Leash with some surprisingly cogent takes on this . Refreshing and unexpected .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:36 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

Open Season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Open Season.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The two Portillo's closest to me are busy as hell at all times. Why? Because the other drive through options around them pretty much suck ass, and even the quick service/carry out places like Buffalo Wild Wings aren't that great.

They're my #2 or #3 option for most things on their menu. But they are also on my drive home from work in two different locations and they are open past 7pm and on Sundays.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
The Lukes in Arlington Heights closed about 5 months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
jimmypasta wrote:

amazing how you can fuck up a hot dog stand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
jimmypasta wrote:

That one was awful. And in a shitty location with a tiny parking lot that hadn't been maintained since I was in high school (20 years). Between that, Peep's closing, and Nikko's sucking for at least 10 years, my go to is now Heffy's on Camp McDonald & 83...best gyros in the area.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
the out of towners I've taken to Portillos have all been thoroughly impressed.

This.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Edwardo's is a really great pizza. But the whole deal with the franchising got fucked up. Edwardo got fucked six ways to Sunday. He's one of those simple guys. He just wanted to run his little pizza shop with fresh ingredients on Howard Street. The sharks were too much when they got hold of him. First, I'm pretty sure he trained the Giordano's guys so they could steal his recipes. Then when the franchise boys showed up, all Ed was really interested in was not giving up the rights to his place on Howard. I'm not sure where Ed is these days.

For years I thought Edwardo's (Hyde Park) was wildly underrated. For 20 yrs. it had a different, fresher taste than other places, especially if we're talking carry out. I always thought they were ripping off Medici well(3 doors down on 57th St. for 30+ years iirc). Lou's & Gino's crust are better, and imo Giordano's has only ever been good if you eat in(the crust turns to mush quickly over time.

I was shocked when that location closed a few years ago, I guess now I know why.

I really wanted us to go into that spot. The University owns the building. That is a great location if you are not trying to just cannibalize Medici. I know the guy who opened Taco Station where Ribs n Bibs was, at 53rd and Dorchester. He is printing money. Hyde Park has some great food, but has some gaping holes we take for granted on the North Side.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:01 pm 

It's no shame to admit Portillo's is worth the hype. It's like trying to kid yourself that the Rolling Stones aren't a great rock band. It's ok.

And their burgers are fuckin amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:00 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
It's like trying to kid yourself that the Rolling Stones aren't a great rock band.

I will continue to do this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:52 am 

W_Z wrote:
It's no shame to admit Portillo's is worth the hype. It's like trying to kid yourself that the Rolling Stones aren't a great rock band. It's ok.

This guy gets it

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:32 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
One of my recent laments has been the slow disappearance of the local hot dog stand. It seems these places are going the way of the neighborhood tavern. When I was a kid there was Fluky's, Lippy's Red Hots, Paul's Umbrella, Frankly Speaking, The Hut- and that's just a few I remember within a reasonable vicinity of where I currently reside. All gone.

It was a sad day when Murph's on Montrose & Springfield bit the dust. At least Susie's still exists, though I consider it more of a "specialty" place than a true Chicago hot dog stand. I'm not even sure I've ever had a Susie's hot dog. It's usually a place I go for a late night milkshake. But one day I will try the Confused Chicken.

Every South Evanston guys loves Bill's (pronounced Bee-o's by the brothers). But Bill's is its own thing. It's not a true Chicago hot dog. They use some pale, cheap frank rather than a Vienna and the condiments aren't exactly correct. And the double or triple cheese is really the thing rather than the hot dog. I love Bill's but there is undoubtedly some nostalgia involved for me. I took my wife there and she said it seemed like the food was "less than fresh". I guess I can see that if you're someone from Palatine who listens to a nut from Evanston tell you how great this place is. I will give kudos to the Indians who bought the place from Bill's kids some time after Bill died. They have kept things pretty much the same, though they did add a quad cheese and put deep fryers in the place. And they kept the light-skinned black woman who has worked there forever who is not exactly cranky but not exactly pleasant either. It wouldn't be Bill's without her.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:00 am 

W_Z wrote:

I don't do that. Only FavreFan does. He's the one who's too cool to use ketchup on anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One of my recent laments has been the slow disappearance of the local hot dog stand. It seems these places are going the way of the neighborhood tavern. When I was a kid there was Fluky's, Lippy's Red Hots, Paul's Umbrella, Frankly Speaking, The Hut- and that's just a few I remember within a reasonable vicinity of where I currently reside. All gone.

It was a sad day when Murph's on Montrose & Springfield bit the dust. At least Susie's still exists, though I consider it more of a "specialty" place than a true Chicago hot dog stand. I'm not even sure I've ever had a Susie's hot dog. It's usually a place I go for a late night milkshake. But one day I will try the Confused Chicken.

Every South Evanston guys loves Bill's (pronounced Bee-o's by the brothers). But Bill's is its own thing. It's not a true Chicago hot dog. They use some pale, cheap frank rather than a Vienna and the condiments aren't exactly correct. And the double or triple cheese is really the thing rather than the hot dog. I love Bill's but there is undoubtedly some nostalgia involved for me. I took my wife there and she said it seemed like the food was "less than fresh". I guess I can see that if you're someone from Palatine who listens to a nut from Evanston tell you how great this place is. I will give kudos to the Indians who bought the place from Bill's kids some time after Bill died. They have kept things pretty much the same, though they did add a quad cheese and put deep fryers in the place. And they kept the light-skinned black woman who has worked there forever who is not exactly cranky but not exactly pleasant either. It wouldn't be Bill's without her.

We used to go to Novi's in Berwyn on Ogden every Saturday afternoon way back when. That was good stuff. I think I had my first Chicago Dog there. I see it is still there. I haven't been there in years...

http://novis-catering.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Novi's is still there. I pass it on the way to Midway but always at odd times.

Does Portillo's still serve those terrible crinkle cut fries?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

:lol:

I don't like their fries either but some on here say they're their favorite fries.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:40 am 

Fries are important to me. I have had zero bad experiences with Portillos fries. I don't know if I'm just getting fresh ones all the time but they are always nice and crispy, perfectly salted.

The one I frequent the most is the Batavia location off Randall. Maybe they are just a really good location, I don't know. But their fries always rule.

For me, my top three fast food fries go:

1- Portillos
2- White Castle
3- McDonalds

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There was a guy who set up shop on Green St. in Champaign on Friday and Saturday nights, perfect for going to the bars or leaving the bars. He'd often set up between 6th and 5th Streets and the dog would be gone by the time I got to 5th. Beauties with neon green relish really hit the spot after a couple beers. I believe it was Mustard's Last Stand.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Hatchetman wrote:

Those fries are fucking delicious. Go rim a dead dog's asshole you heathen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:41 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Chus wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
the out of towners I've taken to Portillos have all been thoroughly impressed.

This.

I've found that as well.

I've never had a good Giordano's pizza.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:49 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Congratulations, you've taken the lead for the worst thought in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:52 pm 

When I lived in NY the thing I missed most was Giordano's and Portillos though I agree that there is better italian beef than them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Portillos is both good and vastly overrated. Anyone who thinks Portillos is great is obviously trailer trash with no taste.

I would guess that u can find better quality of the exact same food within 5 miles of just about every Portillos.
Yet, I have friends in Florida and who have the Italian beef shipped to them and they drove over an hour to Tampa when they opened a portillos there. So yea, they are vastly overrated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:17 pm 

shakes wrote:
Portillos is both good and vastly overrated. Anyone who thinks Portillos is great is obviously trailer trash with no taste.

I would guess that u can find better quality of the exact same food within 5 miles of just about every Portillos.
Yet, I have friends in Florida and who have the Italian beef shipped to them and they drove over an hour to Tampa when they opened a portillos there. So yea, they are vastly overrated.

Shakes just jumped into the top 5 power rankings.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:41 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Don't forget leash backed him up on that awful thought

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Don't forget leash backed him up on that awful thought

I absolutely agree with him. Those are equivalent to the shit you can put in your freezer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next