It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Board beef outing.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
leashyourkids wrote:
Chus wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Re: the italian beef conversation...

If you're ever in Naperville, try Fontina's Italian Kitchen on Ogden next to Jewel (by all the car dealerships). A friend of mine owns it, and it is delicious. They also have great pastas and other Italian fare if you're eating there, but all their sandwiches, including the beef, are great to just run in and pick up for lunch, too.

I drive by there often. I will check it out.

Cool. Let me know what you think... He's always looking for feedback/suggestions.

Tell 'em Leash sent ya!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Furious Styles wrote:
Board beef outing.

I know a good place, but the streets are strewn with refuse and a can of pop is like 11 dollars.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:13 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Edwardo's is a really great pizza. But the whole deal with the franchising got fucked up. Edwardo got fucked six ways to Sunday. He's one of those simple guys. He just wanted to run his little pizza shop with fresh ingredients on Howard Street. The sharks were too much when they got hold of him. First, I'm pretty sure he trained the Giordano's guys so they could steal his recipes. Then when the franchise boys showed up, all Ed was really interested in was not giving up the rights to his place on Howard. I'm not sure where Ed is these days.

For years I thought Edwardo's (Hyde Park) was wildly underrated. For 20 yrs. it had a different, fresher taste than other places, especially if we're talking carry out. I always thought they were ripping off Medici well(3 doors down on 57th St. for 30+ years iirc). Lou's & Gino's crust are better, and imo Giordano's has only ever been good if you eat in(the crust turns to mush quickly over time.

I was shocked when that location closed a few years ago, I guess now I know why.

I really wanted us to go into that spot. The University owns the building. That is a great location if you are not trying to just cannibalize Medici. I know the guy who opened Taco Station where Ribs n Bibs was, at 53rd and Dorchester. He is printing money. Hyde Park has some great food, but has some gaping holes we take for granted on the North Side.

Moment of silence for my beloved Ribs N Bibs.

It's funny how the food scene in Hyde Park is changing over the last two years. Your place would have been a perfect addition that far south.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:01 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Now that Hot Doug's is closed, this is the most overrated food item in Chicago.

Portillo's.

Hot take, but a bad one

Portillo's is vastly overrated. You can get a good beef or hot dog at MANY independent shops without having to wait behind 13 cars in the drive thru.

Anyways, now that the founder sold the place the chain will probably rapidly decline in quality. So no point in bothering with the place to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:13 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Kirkwood wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Now that Hot Doug's is closed, this is the most overrated food item in Chicago.

Portillo's.

Hot take, but a bad one

Portillo's is vastly overrated. You can get a good beef or hot dog at MANY independent shops without having to wait behind 13 cars in the drive thru.

Anyways, now that the founder sold the place the chain will probably rapidly decline in quality. So no point in bothering with the place to begin with.

My partner considers himself an Italian beef aficionado. He whined like a baby during the year we sent him out to Cleveland because he couldn't get a beef out there. Anyway, he calls Portillo's "baseline beef". Anything better is good and anything worse is bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:21 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
I get a kick that the restaurant "locals" associate with "Chicago cuisine" is a chain founded and initially grew within the suburbs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Furious Styles wrote:
Board beef outing.

Best beef I've had in Chicago is the one down the street from your place, Bob-O's. Throw in the fact that they have the best fries I've ever had at a stand and you've got yourself the best duo in Chicago since Kane and Toews or MJ and Pippen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Board beef outing.

Best beef I've had in Chicago is the one down the street from your place, Bob-O's. Throw in the fact that they have the best fries I've ever had at a stand and you've got yourself the best duo in Chicago since Kane and Toews or MJ and Pippen.

Bob-O's has a good burger too.

A friend of mine likes tomatoes on every sandwich he eats. When he would order his Italian beef with tomatoes at Roma's, Ron Roma would sneer at him before eventually and reluctantly putting the tomatoes on the sandwich. This became a topic of conversation between a few of our friends. I think the guy wanted us to agree with him that Ron was the asshole, but it didn't really go that way as most of us thought Ron was correct. It's not an issue anymore since Ron is gone and the new goofs at Roma's gladly bastardize the venerable Italian beef by slapping tomatoes on it for any douchebag who asks.

I don't want to offend Telegram Sam here, so let me state that I do not consider Beefbelly a beef stand. It's one of one. Sui generis. I would take just as much issue with a guy who ordered the Carolina with no onion straws. Fuck you! That's how it comes. A chef who knows more than you balanced those fuckin' flavors. Please do not insult him by trying to create your own shitty recipes, and if you must, do it at home.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Right on, JORR. Couldn't agree more.

For example, tomato is my favorite topping on a burger but if a certain burger I want to try doesnt include tomato then I'm not going ask for it because I'm assuming there's a reason it's not on that burger in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:08 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Board beef outing.

Bob-O's has a good burger too.

A friend of mine likes tomatoes on every sandwich he eats. When he would order his Italian beef with tomatoes at Roma's, Ron Roma would sneer at him before eventually and reluctantly putting the tomatoes on the sandwich. This became a topic of conversation between a few of our friends. I think the guy wanted us to agree with him that Ron was the asshole, but it didn't really go that way as most of us thought Ron was correct. It's not an issue anymore since Ron is gone and the new goofs at Roma's gladly bastardize the venerable Italian beef by slapping tomatoes on it for any douchebag who asks.

I don't want to offend Telegram Sam here, so let me state that I do not consider Beefbelly a beef stand. It's one of one. Sui generis. I would take just as much issue with a guy who ordered the Carolina with no onion straws. Fuck you! That's how it comes. A chef who knows more than you balanced those fuckin' flavors. Please do not insult him by trying to create your own shitty recipes, and if you must, do it at home.

My wife had the burger at Bob-O's and it was pretty bad. Pretty standard thin frozen patty that you would find and low end hot dog stands.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

shakes wrote:

My wife had the burger at Bob-O's and it was pretty bad. Pretty standard thin frozen patty that you would find and low end hot dog stands.

I'm surprised at that. I've never had a bad one there and it's a place that has always been known for its burgers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
The best beef I've ever had was from Al's on Taylor. And I'm a contrarian asshole so it pains me to say something so cliched.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:14 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:

I'm surprised at that. I've never had a bad one there and it's a place that has always been known for its burgers.

maybe they changed the meat since you had one? I would bet that happened cause the burger my wife had would never be something a place would be known for unless its in terms of knowing to not order it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:29 pm 

Glad you liked the beef at Bob-O's, shakes.
It really is top notch and definitely my go-to for beef.

I had the burger last week and it was exactly as you described. Completely underwhelmed. Don't recall ever getting a burger there before, though. Not with Paradise Pup nearby.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
lous is the best deep dish in this outsiders opinion. portillos makes a good combo but i think jimmy's in dunning WAS the best that i'd had. best bread and sausage. portillo's french fries are not great.

pequods is amazing pizza as one who loves burnt stuff.

but sorry boys, quad cities style destroys the chicago casserole pizzas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Lou has a better QB than the Bears:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:40 pm 
sjboyd0137 wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
The Lukes in Arlington Heights closed about 5 months ago.

That one was awful. And in a shitty location with a tiny parking lot that hadn't been maintained since I was in high school (20 years). Between that, Peep's closing, and Nikko's sucking for at least 10 years, my go to is now Heffy's on Camp McDonald & 83...best gyros in the area.

Playing some catch up here... Heffy's?? Really? That place was awful back in the day. Nikko's hasn't been good since they changed owners and stopped taking bets in the back, but Heffy's can't be the best option. Do yourself a favor and go to Olympus over at Central and NW Hwy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:45 pm 
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Zipped was really good, but totally overpriced. I would get carryout from there when I was still with my ex. 2 gyro combos were almost 25 bucks and the portions were skimpy as shit.

Zippy's closing was a sad day, I like the gyro across the street at Hot Dog Express better though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 pm 
How the hell are we 4 pages into Beef talk and nobody has voted Johnnie's?? And why the hell did i read this thread waiting for my pizza 4 blocks form there instead of getting beef on the way home??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:54 pm 

Johnnie's beef was quite skimpy the last time I visited.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I used to get Al's all the time while at UIC. The gyros from Bo'Bo's in Vernon Hills are good.

Beef and gyros from Luke's in Mundelein are quite tasty as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Anyone ever been to Frannie's on River Road in Schiller Park? It's damned good.
How about the Beef Shack in Saint Charles and Schaumburg? The Schaumburg location replaced Zippy's.
Where is Bob-O's located?

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Baby McNown wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Zipped was really good, but totally overpriced. I would get carryout from there when I was still with my ex. 2 gyro combos were almost 25 bucks and the portions were skimpy as shit.

Zippy's closing was a sad day, I like the gyro across the street at Hot Dog Express better though.

Hot Dog Express had good gyros. Their fries sucked, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
SteveSarley wrote:
Anyone ever been to Frannie's on River Road in Schiller Park? It's damned good.
?

It is fine. I pass Gene and Jude's and Johnnie's Beef on the way home so Frannie's doesn't get much action.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:13 pm 

Bob-O''s is just East of Irving Park & Cumberland.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Furious Styles wrote:
Johnnie's beef was quite skimpy the last time I visited.

I was just there a couple of weeks ago and was completely satiated. Better and much cheaper than Portillo's. plus my daughter loves the Italian ice. I do like Portillos though and it's much more conveniently located so it's the default beef most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
i get the combo at Johnnie's. regular beef too small. unless you want two which is entirely doable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Hatchetman wrote:
i get the combo at Johnnie's. regular beef too small. unless you want two which is entirely doable.

Look at tubby over here

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
I used to occasionally hit the Johnnie's on Arlington Hts
That was, until I was at the counter and saw a huge roach climbing the wall behind the cashier. I walked out without even receiving my sandwich.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next