It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:45 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
In the suburbs, one of my favorite places is Katy's Dumplings, but only the original Westmont location. Any noodle dish (hot or cold) or any dumpling/potsticker dish, or their pork with pancake. They also have a more traditional menu for Americans who think that egg fu yung is edgy, but skip that shit.

Only 32 seats so a time like 2pm Saturday is good if you don't want to wait. Not open too late, they close at 8 or 9.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:14 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
GoldenJet wrote:
Need some Chicago restaurant recommendations for someone coming in for 4 days who has never been to Chicago.

No tourist traps.

I'm offering a range of price options.

Gibson's
Gene & Georgetti
Italian Village
Au Cheval
Kuma's Corner
Girl and the Goat
Tango Sur

Light Em up!

why do u gotta take em to a restaurant? Just have ur wife cook for 'em. Better that way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Had a fantastic anniversary meal at Ignotz Saturday night. My buddy owns the place, but I've never made it down there in the 20 years I've known the guy. Finally did Saturday and glad I did. Got there at 6 and they had the best table in the house reserved for us along with a complimentary bottle of win already sitting on the table. Food was phenomenal. Started out with mussels marinara and it was great. Fresh seafood and really nice marinara sauce. For entrees wife had chicken vesuvio which she said was best she ever had. I had a special, baked rigatoni with sausage and mushroom...really good. Homemade tirimasu to finish it off, once again the wife saying it was the best she ever had. (insert first time your wife ever got to experience "best she ever had" event in your presence joke)

Great atmosphere in there too and a really quaint little mini neighborhood with 4 old school italian joints all on the same block. Will definitely be back, only thing that sucked was the half hour drive to get there from the north side of the city at 5:30 on a saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
shakes wrote:
Had a fantastic anniversary meal at Ignotz Saturday night. My buddy owns the place, but I've never made it down there in the 20 years I've known the guy. Finally did Saturday and glad I did. Got there at 6 and they had the best table in the house reserved for us along with a complimentary bottle of win already sitting on the table. Food was phenomenal. Started out with mussels marinara and it was great. Fresh seafood and really nice marinara sauce. For entrees wife had chicken vesuvio which she said was best she ever had. I had a special, baked rigatoni with sausage and mushroom...really good. Homemade tirimasu to finish it off, once again the wife saying it was the best she ever had. (insert first time your wife ever got to experience "best she ever had" event in your presence joke)

Great atmosphere in there too and a really quaint little mini neighborhood with 4 old school italian joints all on the same block. Will definitely be back, only thing that sucked was the half hour drive to get there from the north side of the city at 5:30 on a saturday.

Yeah, for those who have never been there that block of Oakley is like a movie set. Every time I go down there I expect to see one of the Turturros walking around being followed by Spike Lee with a camera.

I've eaten at all four places many times and they're all good, but I would say Ingotz has the best food. I do go to Bruna's the most though because I like sitting at the bar there.

Next time you're down there stop for a drink at the private club on the west side of the street. Tell the bartender you're from Provincia di Lago.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
shakes wrote:

Sounds like we crossed paths as we were there at pretty much the same time. You are right...it's a great place. Good prices on drinks too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:58 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
shakes wrote:

Sounds like we crossed paths as we were there at pretty much the same time. You are right...it's a great place. Good prices on drinks too.

That's funny, where were you sitting? We were at the two top next to the fireplace.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
I think we may have been at an adjacent table as I noticed a couple enjoying mussels marinara. We were a party of 3 (wife & 15 yr old daughter) toward the center/right side of the room near the small alcove table.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
shakes wrote:
Just tried Cafecito for the first time as I sit downtown waiting for my 9:00 trial to start (eta now 2pm). Had the Cuban sandwich. Not exaggerating when I say it's the best one I've ever had!

Got there just before noon and it only took about 15 minutes to order and get the food. Place filled
Up as I was waiting though.

Definitely gonna go back and try something else. There's about 10 sandwiches that I want to try lol.

Good call on this. Really small place and a big line, but the sandwich was much better than the one at Havana.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
In the suburbs, one of my favorite places is Katy's Dumplings, but only the original Westmont location. Any noodle dish (hot or cold) or any dumpling/potsticker dish, or their pork with pancake. They also have a more traditional menu for Americans who think that egg fu yung is edgy, but skip that shit.

Only 32 seats so a time like 2pm Saturday is good if you don't want to wait. Not open too late, they close at 8 or 9.

This place rocked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
SpiralStairs wrote:

This place rocked.

I'm a BigFan of their noodle soups and dumplings. I've heard a lot of people say the Naperville location is bad though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

This place rocked.

I'm a BigFan of their noodle soups and dumplings. I've heard a lot of people say the Naperville location is bad though.

Lots a Chinamen eat at the Westmont location. So it must be good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I am pretty sure that Naperville closed. Oak Park got sold (rumors of tax issues) and is bad. Mr. Red Shirt sold Westmont few years ago to the lady with the messed up teeth, but the quality is still there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:07 am 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
shakes wrote:
Just tried Cafecito for the first time as I sit downtown waiting for my 9:00 trial to start (eta now 2pm). Had the Cuban sandwich. Not exaggerating when I say it's the best one I've ever had!

Got there just before noon and it only took about 15 minutes to order and get the food. Place filled
Up as I was waiting though.

Definitely gonna go back and try something else. There's about 10 sandwiches that I want to try lol.

Good call on this. Really small place and a big line, but the sandwich was much better than the one at Havana.

yep, I've now been there several times at a couple different locations and it's been great every time. My wife likes the shrimp and chorizo sandwich. I love the cuban, but have also had the Ropa Vieja sandwich which is really really good as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:09 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I think we may have been at an adjacent table as I noticed a couple enjoying mussels marinara. We were a party of 3 (wife & 15 yr old daughter) toward the center/right side of the room near the small alcove table.

my back was to the alcove so I never saw anything going on back there. I did hear the the table next to me, a 4some going to Bob Segar concert and one of the guys was asking the waitress if he could see a sample of the baked mostacholi (sp) because he really liked the one at Maggiano's and he wanted to see if it looked the same. Got a good laugh from that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:10 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Maria's Mexican, on Harlem, Galewood/Elmwood Park. Place was packed, with a line, on a saturday night.

Very good, pricey.

Recommended