Post subject: Re: Giordanos
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Psycory wrote:
I'm in the "Giordanos isn't good" camp.
You can also get Lou's or Gino's east shipped from goldbely.com
I have a promocode for $25 off: chocolatemaltball1304

Good stuff. The prices there look fairly similar to Giordanos.

What does shipping cost?
We did Lou's the first time we had it shipped. I didn't think it tasted the same but I only had Lou's a few times fresh. The Giordanos tasted like it was just delivered given how they ship it with a bag of sauce to defrost and put on top.

I am going to try Giordanos first.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I once ordered Carson's Ribs out to California when I was living out there about 20 years ago. It was express mail and I heated it up that night. So good. Almost...almost like I was eating at the restaurant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
I once ordered Carson's Ribs out to California when I was living out there about 20 years ago. It was express mail and I heated it up that night. So good. Almost...almost like I was eating at the restaurant.

They are a shadow of what they were restaurant wise. The second generation became VERY lazy and seemed more interested in mail orders than running a good restaurant. They closed all of their locations besides downtown (despite having good business). The quality in the restaurant is pretty poor. It almost seems like they are catering to tourists knowing they only have to worry about taking their money one time.

I think they are a non presence in this city to anyone younger than 30. That's sad. Carson's was awesome when I was a kid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I can’t remember which one my folks would take us to after games in the city but I loved that place. Was one of the few places my dad would be willing to wait more than 10 minutes for a table. I think I ordered it once when we lived out west and it was pretty good. Shame that it fell off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:08 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

They are a shadow of what they were restaurant wise. The second generation became VERY lazy and seemed more interested in mail orders than running a good restaurant. They closed all of their locations besides downtown (despite having good business). The quality in the restaurant is pretty poor. It almost seems like they are catering to tourists knowing they only have to worry about taking their money one time.

I think they are a non presence in this city to anyone younger than 30. That's sad. Carson's was awesome when I was a kid.

yes. i went back last summer to visit and ate there and it was pretty bad. the manager and others didnt even give a shit about the place. I also noticed they are closed everywhere but downtown and one in the northern suburbs. I use to go to the Lombard one alot back in the 90s. Was run by an Italian family that seemed out of Goodfellas. They did a hell of a job with that place though. Quality food and classy service. We were regulars so they would make a table for us even if the place was packed and the wait list was over an hour long.

Last edited by HawaiiYou on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
I can’t remember which one my folks would take us to after games in the city but I loved that place. Was one of the few places my dad would be willing to wait more than 10 minutes for a table. I think I ordered it once when we lived out west and it was pretty good. Shame that it fell off.

Squirrel - that's 2 places we both frequented now : Carsons and Flukey's. We probably sat by each other not knowing we would be posting on the same forum some 20 or 30 years later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Mike Pyle approves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDJB9BxqweM

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Squirrel - that's 2 places we both frequented now : Carsons and Flukey's. We probably sat by each other not knowing we would be posting on the same forum some 20 or 30 years later.

I went to both as well although the Carson's we went to was across from Senn High School.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Looking at where they used to be I’m guessing it was the Lombard one we went too. Not positive but it’s location makes sense coming back from the city. Not sure where they all were though. I doubt we went to any much past 91. Went once in 96 yo the one near Evanston but that was a quick carry out order.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:46 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Looking at where they used to be I’m guessing it was the Lombard one we went too. Not positive but it’s location makes sense coming back from the city. Not sure where they all were though. I doubt we went to any much past 91. Went once in 96 yo the one near Evanston but that was a quick carry out order.

Use to go to the Skokie one in the 80s and the Lombard one in the 90s.

Senn HS, Mike North's alma-mater. Didnt they have a Jack in the Box there across from it? I think it was the only one East of the Mississippi at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
good dolphin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I remember that going to Carson's with my grandpa and grandma was a huge deal as a kid. I haven't even thought about the place in years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:52 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I remember that going to Carson's with my grandpa and grandma was a huge deal as a kid. I haven't even thought about the place in years.

Looks like there's still one up in Deerfield. Maybe that one is good. But the one in downtown sucked big time when I was there last year. The cole slaw that use to be one of their trademarks was so sloppily made. Like water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:01 pm 

btw when did Girodano's become the Chicago pizza place. I did like it even though it was a chain. I liked the local ma and pa pizza joints usually.

It's funny that when people learn I'm from chicago they always ask about deep dish. I generally tell them deep dish is more tourist food. I think I ate deep dish like 5 or 6 times in my life when I was there. Usually it's just the regular flat bread pizza we use to get. But that flat bread is so much better than 99 percent of the shit they call pizza in the rest of the country.

This thread is making me hungry. I looked up what it would be to order some carsons and it's like $100 for ribs and $50 for sauce. Might as well buy a plane ticket for that price.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
HawaiiYou wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Looks like there's still one up in Deerfield. Maybe that one is good. But the one in downtown sucked big time when I was there last year. The cole slaw that use to be one of their trademarks was so sloppily made. Like water.

The one in Deerfield is good. parents brought it down to me Saturday night. Burger was good, wife had prime rib sandwich, said it was good. parents had chicken sandwiches which were fine as well.

Now that the place is no longer blacklisted by my people I have no problem going there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
How goes the recovery, shakes?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:12 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

He must be okay if he is shoveling burgers down his gullet.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

Last couple weeks have been pretty rough, but hopefully turning the corner this week.

Had a seizure in the ICU the morning after the surgery which set things back. they got me on seizure meds which have messed me up big time. Having a brain MRI tomorrow to rule out epilepsy and then hopefully they can ween me off the drugs.

Finally eating a bit after not eating a meal for the first 6 days post op.

Thanks for asking!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:47 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
HawaiiYou wrote:
btw when did Girodano's become the Chicago pizza place. I did like it even though it was a chain. I liked the local ma and pa pizza joints usually.

It's funny that when people learn I'm from chicago they always ask about deep dish. I generally tell them deep dish is more tourist food. I think I ate deep dish like 5 or 6 times in my life when I was there. Usually it's just the regular flat bread pizza we use to get. But that flat bread is so much better than 99 percent of the shit they call pizza in the rest of the country.

This thread is making me hungry. I looked up what it would be to order some carsons and it's like $100 for ribs and $50 for sauce. Might as well buy a plane ticket for that price.

Giordanos never became shit, out of towners and suburban rubes keep it going.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:50 pm 

shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Last couple weeks have been pretty rough, but hopefully turning the corner this week.

Had a seizure in the ICU the morning after the surgery which set things back. they got me on seizure meds which have messed me up big time. Having a brain MRI tomorrow to rule out epilepsy and then hopefully they can ween me off the drugs.

Thanks for asking!

So, we will see you on the golf course in the fall?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 pm 

Chus wrote:
shakes wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Thanks for asking!

So, we will see you on the golf course in the fall?

Too early to tell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:27 pm 

WTH! What happened to you shakes? And I think I asked this before and you confirmed that you are John Shaky Sumtres right?

Hope you get better from whatever is ailing you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
And I think I asked this before and you confirmed that you are John Shaky Sumtres right?

:lol:

<º)))><