Put five guys up there for over priced burgers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Put five guys up there for over priced burgers

White men will be fine?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I'm having to keep to a low sodium diet five days out of seven, so I have been getting Panda Express Sweetfire Chicken over rice about once a week instead of fast food chicken sandwich or Potbelly or my favorite sodium bomb Katy's Dumplings pork fried noodle. It is replacement level fuel, and for $8 I get two meals out of it.

Portillos beef is baseline and they are open until 10:30. There are far better beef sandwiches (Johnnies although I usually get sausage there, Original Mr. Beef in Orland Park), better fast food burgers (Paradise Pup, Poochie's) and better hot dogs and fries (Gene N Judes) but at 8pm on a weeknight after 11 hours of work and an hour on the Stevenson, Portillos works. Except for the fries, which suck, and I will inevitably go through McDonald's to get a medium fries and a $1 large Diet Coke.

Five Guys' burger is a shell of what it was before they sold out to private equity and expanded beyond northern Virginia. I cant eat more than 2-3 of the still delicious fries as they use peanut oil, so they are dead to me.

Now, I am a son and nephew of Greek restaurant owners. But i will assert that 90% of the old style diners left out there should be bombed. The 70s heyday of places like the Chandelier in Skokie or Seven Brothers in Morton Grove (looking out at the Admiral Oasis motel on a Saturday night and guessing how many hookers were there) is over. That generation of owners is in their 80s or dead, and if their kids took over they are generally dumb fucks who are trying to cut corners to compete with Chili's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:38 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I'm having to keep to a low sodium diet five days out of seven, so I have been getting Panda Express Sweetfire Chicken over rice about once a week instead of fast food chicken sandwich or Potbelly or my favorite sodium bomb Katy's Dumplings pork fried noodle. It is replacement level fuel, and for $8 I get two meals out of it.

Portillos beef is baseline and they are open until 10:30. There are far better beef sandwiches (Johnnies although I usually get sausage there, Original Mr. Beef in Orland Park), better fast food burgers (Paradise Pup, Poochie's) and better hot dogs and fries (Gene N Judes) but at 8pm on a weeknight after 11 hours of work and an hour on the Stevenson, Portillos works. Except for the fries, which suck, and I will inevitably go through McDonald's to get a medium fries and a $1 large Diet Coke.

Five Guys' burger is a shell of what it was before they sold out to private equity and expanded beyond northern Virginia. I cant eat more than 2-3 of the still delicious fries as they use peanut oil, so they are dead to me.

Now, I am a son and nephew of Greek restaurant owners. But i will assert that 90% of the old style diners left out there should be bombed. The 70s heyday of places like the Chandelier in Skokie or Seven Brothers in Morton Grove (looking out at the Admiral Oasis motel on a Saturday night and guessing how many hookers were there) is over. That generation of owners is in their 80s or dead, and if their kids took over they are generally dumb fucks who are trying to cut corners to compete with Chili's.

Sounds like you have a horrible diet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:53 am 

Portillo's is really good. The fact that someone can have one location doing much less business where they do a marginally better product doesn't really change that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Thanks for the tip. My mother-in-law is on a low sodium diet as well and I just assumed that any decent Asian food was pretty much out of the question.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
shakes wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Rock Bottom
Emmett's Brewing Company in DG

With Emmett's, it has to be the worst food ever made. I will eat almost anything that I pay for in a restaurant because I hate to waste money, but even I couldn't choke down this shit. When you walk by the place, the bar is full and the restaurant is empty. And the beer isn't that good. It needs to go away.

I ate here once, it wasn't very good. Don't really get Uncle Julio's either.

Uncle julio's is a great response to this thread. Place combines shitty food with high end prices. If you eat there you are an idiot.

Yes it is shakes!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Seacrest wrote:
shakes wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Rock Bottom
Emmett's Brewing Company in DG

With Emmett's, it has to be the worst food ever made. I will eat almost anything that I pay for in a restaurant because I hate to waste money, but even I couldn't choke down this shit. When you walk by the place, the bar is full and the restaurant is empty. And the beer isn't that good. It needs to go away.

I ate here once, it wasn't very good. Don't really get Uncle Julio's either.

Uncle julio's is a great response to this thread. Place combines shitty food with high end prices. If you eat there you are an idiot.

Yes it is shakes!!

Agree. You can find 100% better food for about 20% the price at even an average taqueria.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Portillo's used to be better, at least portion-wise with their beefs. You are getting less now, both with the size of the bread and the amount of beef that's put on the sandwich. It's treated as a money maker now. They still have good fries and milkshakes. Some of their pasta dishes are good as well.

But a Portillo's Maxwell Street Polish is not as good as a real Maxwell Street Polish. The last good one I had was from a vender on the east side of UIC. Tons of grilled onions, yum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Put me in the “Portillo’s is decidedly average” camp. Like was said above, plenty of other places that do that kind of food better. Plus, I can get frozen crinkle-cut fries anywhere, without being 30 cars deep in the drive-up.

But will there be pictures of Jim Belushi on the wall?

Portillo's always strikes me as a tourist trap designed for ppl who wanna "have something Chicago" while they're in town. Their walls try really hard to convince you that you're in the most Chicago place ever, just like Five Guys' walls try to convince you that you're in a great restaurant (with all the glowing reviews all over the place)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Portillo's, for fast food, is pretty awesome. Their chicken chopped salad is terrific. The beef and cheddar croissant with hot giardeniera is stupid good. I really like their fries. Their polish and burgers are solid.

People who say they hate portillo's are similar to the contrarians who say they hate the Beatles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
GoldenJet wrote:
Portillo's, for fast food, is pretty awesome. Their chicken chopped salad is terrific. The beef and cheddar croissant with hot giardeniera is stupid good. I really like their fries. Their polish and burgers are solid.

People who say they hate portillo's are similar to the contrarians who say they hate the Beatles.

I hate the Beatles, but Portillo's is fine. Their burgers are good, the beef is decidedly average. Their fries suck, but the onion rings are good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Whoever said Rosati's above isn't going to a good location where they know what they're doing.

I don't think a good location exists. Maybe on a different plane of existence, but not the one I'm in.

I will allow for the occasional Cheef sammich though. Speaking of .....

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Portillo's is fine. Their burgers are good, the beef is decidedly average. Their fries suck, but the onion rings are good.

I think that's a very generous assessment of their beef.

However, the Beatles do not suck ... but we've covered that ground before in other threads.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I've now had Beef Shack and I'll never go to a portillo's again. Bad fries, burger is nothing special.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
City of Fools wrote:
I've now had Beef Shack and I'll never go to a portillo's again. Bad fries, burger is nothing special.

I tried their beef and thought it was pretty decent. Haven't tried the burger yet. Much closer to me than Portillo's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
You guys are too damn uppity with some of these thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Which Which

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Which Which

Agree strongly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

Take this bag, write everything down, and we'll fill it food.

Stupidest idea I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:26 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Is this a shot at Portillo's? I will say their system and organization is top notch. They draw a shit load of people there and I don't think I've ever gotten an incorrect order from them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Douchebag wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Is this a shot at Portillo's? I will say their system and organization is top notch. They draw a shit load of people there and I don't think I've ever gotten an incorrect order from them.

A shot at Which Wich. You don't order by telling people what you want. You grab your eventual 'to-go' bag, and write down what meat / cheese / bread / extras you want. Then hand it to them, and they put your sandwich in the bag. No talking allowed. They only hire mutes and incels.

Portillo's system is great.

Last edited by IMU on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

IMU is correct.

If Portillo's ran things that way and continued to serve their awesome food it would be fine. Which Which serves you crap that is just barely a notch above Subway, and won't allow you to actually speak and place your order.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:15 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Somebody should go thru this and see which of these restaurants ended up not survivin' Covid.

See if we have any prophetic posters in here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
whistler wrote:
See if we have any prophetic posters in here.

i saw the 2005 white sox in aoril 2005, and the way they won that game that night (late come from behind win) i said "this is the type of team that wins championships"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:43 am 

billypootons wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Portillos.

How the fuck is this place so popular? Every damned location has lines out the door. Their food is mediocre at best. You can go to a local Vienna stand and get the same crappy fast food for cheaper.

yikes bad take. food is almost always fresh and good.

order via app for instore pickup, get in car and drive to resturant, arrive and pick up food in less than 3 minutes, leave.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Portillo's has a new location in Joliet on Larkin. Drive-thru only...3 lanes. I wonder if they'll replicate that model anywhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:50 am 

IMU wrote:
DAC wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
If you're ordering a BLT pizza or Taco pizza, you might as well kill yourself.

Alternative pizzas have their place. Maybe 10% of the time I will order a BBQ chicken, Taco, or italian beef w/giardiniera pizza.

Here's my tip for the day- take a cheese, rising crust Freschetta pizza and put on some italian beef, hot giardiniera, and extra cheese. Did it once when we had leftover beef from a party. Best homemade pizza I ever made.

You're really slumping over the last month or so.

My pizza takes are spot-on. Maybe you should diversify a little and stop eating pizza like a 6-year old.