It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Visiting Boston
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Putting together a trip out there for mid July. Never been there and don't know a whole lot about where to stay, where the hot spots are at night,
etc... Mostly there to see historical sites and take in the atmosphere. I have a friend that works/goes to school at Harvard so we will definitely
make our way up there one day. Red Sox are in town that week so will try to go to a game. Not sure whether to get tickets now or just scalp the
day of so we can avoid bad weather. Looking for suggestions of things to do, places to eat, but most of all really need some help on where to
stay. Important to stay downtown? I think the mass transit situation is decent there so maybe I can stay a bit outside of the city and just go
downtown during the day? Looking for any advice anyone has. PM's are welcome as well.

I used the search but didn't find any older threads like this. I apologize if there is one and if someone can attach a link I would appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Visiting Boston
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Great breweries there. I’m sure TM could give better advice, but I would recommend Trillium and TreeHouse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
It is a very cool place. I have spend a lot of time there over almost 30 years. Cambridge is very cool if you have the time to spend around Harvard Square and MIT. Faneuil Hall and that general area from there to the harbor is must see/visit/experience. The history you want can be found by google. As far as Red Sox it always seemed to me to be a tough ticket. Worth it though. The atmosphere Wrigley is trying to copy there is more natural. Plan to hang out hours before the game on the adjacent streets etc.

If you happen to be close go here: http://www.yankeelobstercompany.com/about-us/ or http://www.nonamerestaurant.com/were-open-today/

Bring money and lots.

If you are a partying type of trip remember that unless it is changed people tend to get loaded 5pm-10pm rather than 8pm-1am. The bars and stuff close much earlier than Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
redskingreg wrote:
Great breweries there. I’m sure TM could give better advice, but I would recommend Trillium and TreeHouse.

Harpoon is there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Sam Adams brew tour in Jamaica Plains is very good too, they only ask for a donation at the door
https://www.citybrewtours.com/boston/br ... rewing-co/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
pittmike wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Harpoon is there.

Shelf-palate swill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 am 

The walking tour they have is great. The tea party museum is kind of cheesy but also worth doing. You get to throw tea into the water!

Mass transit was both decent and horrible at the same time. Stay close to a station and try and stay in a central location.

We stayed near Copley Square which was a great location. Boston sucks to get around in general though so I wouldn't stay outside the city if you are looking for an enjoyable vacation. No reason to spend money on airfare and other things to have to "commute" to your vacation.

We definitely want to go back. It's a very cool place to visit. As pittmike said, don't expect it to be cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The walking tour they have is great. The tea party museum is kind of cheesy but also worth doing. You get to throw tea into the water!

Mass transit was both decent and horrible at the same time. Stay close to a station and try and stay in a central location.

We stayed near Copley Square which was a great location. Boston sucks to get around in general though so I wouldn't stay outside the city if you are looking for an enjoyable vacation. No reason to spend money on airfare and other things to have to "commute" to your vacation.

We definitely want to go back. It's a very cool place to visit. As pittmike said, don't expect it to be cheap.

Just going to be my wife and I. Walking tour definitely high on the list as well as visiting the Harbor. I'd like to see where the Boston Massacre and
Bunker Hill took place to satisfy my nerdy side. Thanks for advice on Copley Square, I'll keep that in mind as I start looking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 am 

love boston. You will hear about the obvious stuff like the freedom trail and that is certainly must see. If you are there for a while, you can take a ferry from Boston to Salem and do a tour of the Salem area. The ferry price is very reasonable (like public transportation) and leaves hourly. They have ferries that go from Boston to various other points of interest.

One thing outside the city that I thought was very cool and underrated was Minuteman National Park. It takes you on the trail to Lexington and Concord with guided walks.

One area that seems to get overlooked in Boston is the old Italian neighborhood. I'm not sure what it is called. They have some great pizza and little restaurants. I think it is near Paul Revere's house but Im not sure. The scenes in The Town after when they are wearing nun masks are all filmed there

Last edited by good dolphin on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 am 

The Northend. Outstanding Italian food.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Union Oyster House
Cheers (actually sucks, but have to go)
Fenway (If you are fat and/or tall, good luck sitting in a seat)
Freedom Trail
Go see where the wealthy kids go to school.

Last edited by Big Chicagoan on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
The Northend. Outstanding Italian food.

Boston, big time Italian hub.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
yep definitely do the walking tour. Back when I did you basically just followed a yellow line on the ground and that took you to all the historic sites in the city.

Eat at least one meal at Nathanial Hall, lots of good stuff in there.

Get some hot nuts from a street vendor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm 

shakes wrote:
yep definitely do the walking tour. Back when I did you basically just followed a yellow line on the ground and that took you to all the historic sites in the city.

Eat at least one meal at Nathanial Hall, lots of good stuff in there.

Get some hot nuts from a street vendor.

Have to eat a lobster roll and some clam chowder, too. And talk like Mayor Quimby when you order.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
I think it is near Paul Revere's house but Im not sure.

Paul Revere's house is definitely worth seeing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
If anyone tries to tell you to go see Cape Cod....ignore them. The Cape has nice beaches but there are plenty of other options just as nice going north to NH that are easier to get to. The Cape is just a place people with money can congregate to away from their homes, but it's really not much different than the rest of New England.

Fenway is cool
Freedom Trail is cool
Bowl & Finch (Cheers) is underwhelming, but as already stated...you have to do it.
Yes...the italian neighborhood does kick all sorts of ass with food.

My visits there (years ago) were further north by NH border. I find Lobster and Clam Chowder very good and enjoyable and overrated...the BEST food there was the Steamed Clams and FISH chowdah at Markey's Lobster Pool in Seabrook, NH. That's pretty far north out of the City of Boston, though.
https://www.markeyslobsterpound.com/

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm 

Yeah, skip Cheers, waste of time and money.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 pm 

Wahlburgers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Wahlburgers

Overrated as well. If time permits, I HIGHLY recommend the Foxy Lady in Providence
https://www.foxyladyri.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Wahlburgers

Overrated as well. If time permits, I HIGHLY recommend the Foxy Lady in Providence
https://www.foxyladyri.com/

It was a joke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I say skip Cheers as well... it is not even worth going there to say you were there.

Navy Yard of course is a must do thing... it is on the Trail.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Agreed on many of the previous comments.

Even though you may find it weird, RIDE.THE.SUBWAY. Best way to get around and it is part of the experience.

Definitely dine in the North End (Little Italy). I wish I could remember where we ate. Little place, great food and service and one wall of video running Godfather scenes. I'll look in my Quicken file and see if I can figure it out.

EDIT: This is it..but not like is the only italian restaurant in boston :lol: :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/StregaNorthEnd/

https://www.stregaristorante.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
who goes to Boston for vacation?

Gotta be one of the more boring cities around. You cant even move. It's a very small city with really nothing to do.

You make a wrong turn or get off the wrong exit in Boston, and it will take u an hour to get back to where u were. Their streets are so fucked up. It's not like here where u get off a highway exit and u can hop right back on.

Also, u get caught speeding 10 over, ur fine is $300.

There was nothing special about Boston. Probably the best thing is to venture north along the coast, like around Lynn and shit.

They say Salem had witch trials but I saw no witches.

This Fanuil Hall or whatever is probly a nice thing, and Paul Revere's house. Other than that, total wasteland. Expensive, overpriced restaurants and bars.

As far as Cheers, yea a little raggedy and nothing special but if you're into bars, I would check it out. It's not pretentious.

Also, home of 50 colleges, super liberal. You dont find bars or restaurants with average working Joe's having a beer. It's all hip young college yuppy types. Just totally pretentious.

I would check out Harvard just north of the city, and then head further north to towns like Reading and Lowell. And up along the coastline.

Dont go south. Barren industrial wasteland and then Cape Cod is a waste of a lot of time. Unless u wanna goto Rhode Island. Heard it's not bad there.

And who said there was a subway in Boston? There isn't. No way they could have a subway in that little city. I dont even recall even seeing a mass transit bus.

Fuck Boston. Seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 pm 

whistler wrote:

Gotta be one of the more boring cities around. You cant even move. It's a very small city with really nothing to do.

You make a wrong turn or get off the wrong exit in Boston, and it will take u an hour to get back to where u were. Their streets are so fucked up. It's not like here where u get off a highway exit and u can hop right back on.

There was nothing special about Boston. Probably the best thing is to venture north along the coast, like around Lynn and shit.

This Fanuil Hall or whatever is probly a nice thing, and Paul Revere's house. Other than that, total wasteland. Expensive, overpriced restaurants and bars.

As far as Cheers, yea a little raggedy and nothing special but if you're into bars, I would check it out. It's not pretentious.

Also, home of 50 colleges, super liberal. You dont find bars or restaurants with average working Joe's having a beer. It's all hip young college yuppy types. Just totally pretentious.

I would check out Harvard just north of the city, and then head further north to towns like Reading and Lowell. And up along the coastline.

Dont go south. Barren industrial wasteland and then Cape Cod is a waste of a lot of time. Unless u wanna goto Rhode Island. Heard it's not bad there.

And who said there was a subway in Boston? There isn't. No way they could have a subway in that little city. I dont even recall even seeing a mass transit bus.

Fuck Boston. Seriously.

:lol: Poster of the year, imo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

Great city. My last time there I walked mostly, took a few Ubers and did the subway to and from Logan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:31 am 

whistler wrote:

Fuck Boston. Seriously.

Seeing that your dream vacation is likely a trip to the Kohler factory to check out toilets, I'll keep your post in its proper context.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:43 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Quote:
This sounds more like a rap line that RPB would post in italics.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:10 pm 

whistler wrote:

I get this is an attempt at a bit, but

1) If you drive in boston you are an idiot.

2) Regarding subways and buses....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
a genius wrote:
[

not a bit...i dont remember there being a subway there.

after reading about it, that "subway" system is mostly above ground and nobody uses it. Somethin' a kin to the Loop Link bus system. It covers 4 square miles.

the downtown is small and you can walk anywhere u want within half hour. It's a dumb city.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:59 am 

whistler wrote:
a genius wrote:
[

not a bit...i dont remember there being a subway there.

after reading about it, that "subway" system is mostly above ground and nobody uses it. Somethin' a kin to the Loop Link bus system. It covers 4 square miles.

the downtown is small and you can walk anywhere u want within half hour. It's a dumb city.

It's the oldest subway in the US.

"no one rides it" ??? 2014 ridership 352,519,591

"mostly above ground ... 4 square miles ...." ??

Green line 23 miles (4.5 undergound)
Orange line 11 miles (1.8 underground)
Blue line 6 miles (2.1 underground)
Red lines 25 miles (8.7 underground)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBTA_subway
http://www.urbanrail.net/am/bost/boston.htm