It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liver & Onions?
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
What's your go-to spot for this all-American dish?

Post subject: Re: Liver & Onions?
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 am 

Let's just say that hnd would love the untouched plate I'd leave.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I used to get it at Eros in Arlington Heights...closed.
When I lived in Hoffman Estates...Old Bridge on Golf. Closed.
When I lived in Palatine, there was a place at Dundee and Quentin (I don't remember what it was called)...closed.
Now up in Gurnee, I used to go to a restaurant in Grayslake called The Triangle. After the big run of flooding a couple of years ago, and the one owner dying, they stopped serving dinners and close at 3.
So I'm up to Mrs V's in Round Lake...pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:34 am 

When I was growing up you ate whatever mom made or you went without.

There was one exception....she made my dad liver and onions but she hated it....and she would make the rest of us something else.

I can still remember that awful smell. Ugh

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am one of the rare ones that like it. Probably the most often place I would eat it and really love it would be my moms. There were a couple of the Greek family type restaurants that I could eat but it was not the same. I assume because of how she did it I would find it somewhere in the south.

We had a classic old cast iron frying pan we mostly called the bacon pan and the grease from bacon is what seasoned it. I don't recall my Dad washing it but seasoning it yes. Anyway she would lightly flour bread the liver and fry it in that as well as grill onions to caramelized in same pan. The final touch being the rich dark gravy with all sorts of bits she could elicit from that pan afterward. Plain old white rice along with it and the gravy and I was set.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
pittmike wrote:
I am one of the rare ones that like it. Probably the most often place I would eat it and really love it would be my moms. There were a couple of the Greek family type restaurants that I could eat but it was not the same. I assume because of how she did it I would find it somewhere in the south.

We had a classic old cast iron frying pan we mostly called the bacon pan and the grease from bacon is what seasoned it. I don't recall my Dad washing it but seasoning it yes. Anyway she would lightly flour bread the liver and fry it in that as well as grill onions to caramelized in same pan. The final touch being the rich dark gravy with all sorts of bits she could elicit from that pan afterward. Plain old white rice along with it and the gravy and I was set.

That sounds good.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:42 am 

Gene n' Georgetti's. You do not even especially have to like liver to like it; the thick cut bacon helps.

I used to think highly of the fried chicken livers @ Ann Sathers, but its been so many years, not sure their current quality.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
sjboyd0137 wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That sounds good.

It is. One of my have to do things to master that before she departs (she isn't in a hurry).

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:03 am 

RFDC wrote:

There was one exception....she made my dad liver and onions but she hated it....and she would make the rest of us something else.

Same here. But I hated those days because my seat at the dinner table was right next to my dad, and he was a slow eater.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 am 

pittmike wrote:

Sounds perfect.

Another good way is to salt, flour calves liver sliced pretty thin. sautee in butter for like 1-2 minute/side. Deglaze with a little white wine, healthy squeeze of lemon juice and chopped parsley.

And yes Gene and Georgetti's was awesome the last time I had it which was about 5 years ago. too much even.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
my mom is a great cook.

however, she served us liver and onions one night when i was in hs. i remember walking into the house to the smell. and i remember sitting there and staring at it. we all attempted and then finally after about 15 minutes of us picking at it, she got up, and said, sorry, i can't do this (my dad had gone to town on it). she collected all our plates except for my dads and busted out the cereal boxes.

that said, i love a hint of liverwurst on toasted bread. my grandfather loved it, i can have a few thin slices with some onions as long as its fried on a sandwich.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Regular Reader wrote:

+ infinity

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 am 

the White Eagle on Milwaukee still has the noodles with chicken livers. I used to gobble that shit up at all the funerals I went to as a wee lad.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:10 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Same here. But I hated those days because my seat at the dinner table was right next to my dad, and he was a slow eater.

Yeah it still was nasty with that smell

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
What does liver go for a pound? As a kid, we had it a couple times a month, I assumed it was like Spaghetti Friday, a cheap meal night for my Mom. I do recall bacon involved, I always though that was to offset the grossness.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Hatchetman wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:04 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
What does liver go for a pound? .

maybe $3.99/lb. You gotta go for the calves liver though. though beef is ok too.

I split a steer with somebody once. he didn't like liver, so I got like 12 lbs of it.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
pittmike wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That sounds good.

It is. One of my have to do things to master that before she departs (she isn't in a hurry).

My mom was the youngest of six. The gap in age between her and her two oldest sisters was so big that I'm pretty sure she never remembered living in the same house with them. My grandmother was a great cook. And so were both my aunts. My mom, not so great. After my grandmother died, my mom asked her middle sister if she knew my grandmother's recipes. My aunt said of course she did and that if my mom wanted she would teach them to her. My mom said great and they got together to cook. My mom then told my aunt, "I have a better idea. Instead of teaching me, why don't you just make a bunch of them and freeze them so I can take them home." :lol: :lol: Such a youngest kid!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah.. my dad loves it and will order it from time to time as my mom will not make it. I had a roommate that made it a couple times and it proved a good excuse to go for a long walk.

My dogs enjoy the beef liver we get back from steers but not for me. Nope nope nope.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:47 pm 

I won't make the judgement that you people are gross but you eat gross food and are filled with grossness.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
shakes wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

:lol: Really. Id rather hard tac or the hooves

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:15 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

:lol: Really. Id rather hard tac or the hooves

It's right down there with czarnina, Rocky mountain oysters and chitlins. Blech.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Well, Franklin, you can give the liver and onions a try at Joe's Cafe, over here in Scottdale, MI , just south of Saint Joseph while you are visiting this weekend. Fantastic breakfast spot that is also open for lunch. I took my middle son out last Saturday- we used to go for breakfast, but now he's doing some selective fasting thing and doesn't like to eat a meal before noon or so. Since Joe's is breakfast all day, no problem, I love the Country burrito with the secret house hot sauce. But, since we were in late, I decided to try their liver and onions, (I usually skip that at 0600). It was fantastic, maybe even better than my Mom's. Thin sliced and grilled, more than enough onions for the large portion of meat, and good potatoes/gravy and green beans.

I always get some of the liver from our side of beef, but take it to Mom, as my wife won't cook it. Our butcher leaves it a bit thicker than I'd like, having had the dish at Joe's, I'm going to ask for thinner slices next year.