It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:04 pm 

hnd wrote:
It's a labor of love. If you don't love it, don't do it. I love baking in quiet solitude at 5 in the morning, I'd love to run a bakery, but I know it's not going to keep my lights turned on

I love it. when people buy the supplies i do it for free. i've done a few family reunions, church picnics, etc. they paid the supplies, i did it. getting alot of different food right is challenging but fun. There is no way i could do it to pay the bills but I definitely could see myself in 10-15 years slowing down working and picking up that hobby/side business here or there.

famous daves stole my idea of serving food on a trashcan lid.[/quote]

My wife gets upset with me when she decides that she wants to learn how to bbq or make gumbo and I balk at it when I'm tired/hurting/busy. There really certain things that if I don't feel it, I absolutely won't do it. Maybe it's being unreasonable or obsessive, but some cooking and baking seem to me to be things that I absolutely have to have a feel for and be completely committed to.

Making BBQ & gumbo are strangely the only times I really drink beer anymore. It's almost as if beer consumption is like a timer. I told my oldest son this and a few other steps a few months ago with gumbo and he just said screw it, (he)'ll just wait for when he's with me around to make it. Just like he did with BBQ. I told my wife Sunday that i couldn't do it because I didn't feel like standing over a big pot smelling and trying to feel the roux and food. Even for prep.

She's actually still salty because she also knows that I don't think she'd make it right and then I'd get the blame.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:06 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
It's a labor of love. If you don't love it, don't do it. I love baking in quiet solitude at 5 in the morning, I'd love to run a bakery, but I know it's not going to keep my lights turned on

I used to be a regular for carry out in Hyde Park. Now the only place I make an exception for is the bakery at the Medici where they're absolutely committed to it. Or Valois if I'm really hungry and want something consistently basic.

What do you like at the Medici?

Now I'm mainly in there for bagels & whichever breads appeal to my hunger that day. Pretty basic.

I haven't gotten a pizza or other meal from there in almost three years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Regular Reader wrote:
shakes wrote:
The grossest thing about RUB (on Western) was their cornbread. It had a layer of creamed corn in the middle of it. As gross as it sounds.

I tried that place on three separate occasions just because of the hype. You're off about the cornbread though, unless you weren't expecting it that way. I tended to like it, but no one else in my family did.

The meats always had an off putting taste. Almost musky iirc.

So I hated it, everyone in my family hated it, everyone in your family hated it except you, but I'm the one who's off about the cornbread??? Where's the Arsenio "things that make you go hmm" gif when you need it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:25 pm 

If you're really serious about getting the best BBQ is the area I think the absolute must try place on your list should be Chicago Culinary Kitchen in Palatine. Check out this thread from the LTH board. I haven't been, but it looks amazing and everyone raves about it like its the best they've ever had. But, its only open Saturdays and Sundays starting at 11 and they close when they sell out. Apparently there is a line down the block by 10:30 so get there early.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=43775

Ironically, that thread was started by Jared, the guy who owned RUB.

Here is a link to their site...

http://chicagoculinarykitchen.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
hnd wrote:
famous daves stole my idea of serving food on a trashcan lid.

why not roll with your younger days method but expand upon it into a business? serve bbq, take all the uneaten leftovers from customers, re-heat, re-sauce and re-serve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:42 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
hnd wrote:
famous daves stole my idea of serving food on a trashcan lid.

why not roll with your younger days method but expand upon it into a business? serve bbq, take all the uneaten leftovers from customers, re-heat, re-sauce and re-serve
I don't think that level of cleanliness would last long in the only type of food known for being sold in unmarked gas station parking lots with a smoker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:07 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Regular Reader wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

I used to be a regular for carry out in Hyde Park. Now the only place I make an exception for is the bakery at the Medici where they're absolutely committed to it. Or Valois if I'm really hungry and want something consistently basic.

Now I'm mainly in there for bagels & whichever breads appeal to my hunger that day. Pretty basic.

I used to love having some of their cheesy garlic bread in the midst of a heavy drinking night--many of which were concluded at Ciral's and Harold's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Tall Midget wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

I used to love having some of their cheesy garlic bread in the midst of a heavy drinking night--many of which were concluded at Ciral's and Harold's.

Medici is solid. Hearth on Dempster in Evanston is kind of like a Medici now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Y'all put me in the mood to try the nearest NC style place near my home. Fuck NC BBQ pork and mustard-vinegar sauce, minimal taste. I'd rather eat what passes for BBQ at Mission in Downers Grove, that's how insipid it was. At least the side dishes were good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:38 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Y'all put me in the mood to try the nearest NC style place near my home. Fuck NC BBQ pork and mustard-vinegar sauce, minimal taste. I'd rather eat what passes for BBQ at Mission in Downers Grove, that's how insipid it was. At least the side dishes were good.

you should try the Carolina BBQ sauce at TelegramSam's place. It's really fucking good (and I was also not a fan of Carolina bbq sauce).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 am 

shakes wrote:

you should try the Carolina BBQ sauce at TelegramSam's place. It's really fucking good (and I was also not a fan of Carolina bbq sauce).

But how's the cornbread? :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Regular Reader wrote:
shakes wrote:

But how's the cornbread? :P

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
That reminds me...I don't even think RUB calls it corn bread. It's corn bread casserole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
If you can't enjoy smoked pork shoulder with a little cayenne/vinegar on it, I'm sorry for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:36 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
If you can't enjoy smoked pork shoulder with a little cayenne/vinegar on it, I'm sorry for you.

As much love as that gets around here, I've still never tried it or seen it made for any function.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:39 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

As much love as that gets around here, I've still never tried it or seen it made for any function.

The only place I've ever seen it around here is in my back yard. Maybe this summer you can come over and we can smoke stogies and complain about Seacrest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:41 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

The only place I've ever seen it around here is in my back yard. Maybe this summer you can come over and we can smoke stogies and complain about Seacrest.

In!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:47 pm 

LOL. OK. will send around the passcode later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:22 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

In!

Also in!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:23 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

In!

Also in!

Also also in!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:26 pm 

And I don't even care about the cigars and food...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Ruffcorn mentioned this place in other threads....gonna bring it here. The Mrs. and I went to Oscar Lee's Barbecue in downtown Libertyville.

Exceeded Expectations by A LOT. Brisket was amazing.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:46 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

I don't like the texture. The places around me here in the Triangle shred/mince the hell out of it.

The taste itself is acceptable, my bashing it above notwithstanding. It's not my favorite approach, but the provision of smothered cabbage balances that out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Ruffcorn mentioned this place in other threads....gonna bring it here. The Mrs. and I went to Oscar Lee's Barbecue in downtown Libertyville.

Exceeded Expectations by A LOT. Brisket was amazing.

I want to get in there and try it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:53 pm 

My dad has become a convert to Texas style brisket and dry rub baby back ribs, after years of eating at baked with BBQ sauce places like Patio. To be fair, he used to make a damn good baked rib tip back in the day when he had his diner in the loop, but he was always very careful to call it by its proper description of "baked BBQ-style rib tips" so as not to offend anyone who expected him to have a smoker in the basement.

Mission BBQ is a few blocks from his place, and he's had me get it almost every time I'm back in town to see him. I think that part of the appeal is that the food at his retirement village's cafeteria is so fucking bland that he is jonesing on the salt on the dry rub.

Mission is ok. I like Shuster's place a little better for that kind of chain place. But my dad doesn't cook any more (or let anybody else cook in his kitchen) and I can't eat Portillo's every day when I'm visiting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Mission was underwhelming. No thanks.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:15 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I'm planning on hitting MANY barbecue spots during an upcoming visit to Chicago. New England barbecue is largely uninspired and unimpressive--most of the barbecue places here are trying to speak a language they only partially understand. So I am looking forward to reacquainting myself with some old favorites and trying some new ones as well.

In any event, the following establishments will definitely be part of my itinerary: Honey1, Uncle J's, Lem's, Earl's and Blackwood.

Where else should I go? Thrill me with your acumen.

Thanks in advance, friends!

Earl's on Austin and Gunnison? I don't know where you are staying, that's kind of a haul for kind of OK BBQ. You might as well just visit me.

Yeah, I have friends in the neighborhood, so I thought I'd check it out. Definitely planning on making a stop at your place. :wink:

So I'm eating a pulled pork sandwich from Earl's right now for lunch. Umm...how tight are you with these friends?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Telegram Sam wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I'm planning on hitting MANY barbecue spots during an upcoming visit to Chicago. New England barbecue is largely uninspired and unimpressive--most of the barbecue places here are trying to speak a language they only partially understand. So I am looking forward to reacquainting myself with some old favorites and trying some new ones as well.

In any event, the following establishments will definitely be part of my itinerary: Honey1, Uncle J's, Lem's, Earl's and Blackwood.

Earl's on Austin and Gunnison? I don't know where you are staying, that's kind of a haul for kind of OK BBQ. You might as well just visit me.

Yeah, I have friends in the neighborhood, so I thought I'd check it out. Definitely planning on making a stop at your place. :wink:

So I'm eating a pulled pork sandwich from Earl's right now for lunch. Umm...how tight are you with these friends?

I saw them a couple weeks ago. Unforeseen circumstances caused a change in plans, so I wasn't able to eat at most of the barbecue spots I wanted to hit, Earl's included.

Is Earl's pulled pork bad?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Green Street Meats is decent. Used to live in the building 25 years ago...

Smoke Daddy on Division is still my favorite.

I'd be down to try Big Ed's....15 minutes away!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I saw them a couple weeks ago. Unforeseen circumstances caused a change in plans, so I wasn't able to eat at most of the barbecue spots I wanted to hit, Earl's included.

Is Earl's pulled pork bad?

It was not especially good. It was not especially anything. I wish it were, it's better across the board when the joints in this neighborhood have something special to offer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next