It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I'm planning on hitting MANY barbecue spots during an upcoming visit to Chicago. New England barbecue is largely uninspired and unimpressive--most of the barbecue places here are trying to speak a language they only partially understand. So I am looking forward to reacquainting myself with some old favorites and trying some new ones as well.

In any event, the following establishments will definitely be part of my itinerary: Honey1, Uncle J's, Lem's, Earl's and Blackwood.

Where else should I go? Thrill me with your acumen.

Thanks in advance, friends!

Last edited by Tall Midget on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: John's
I expect MANY mults to do good work here...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
SWEET BABY RAYS.

when, yo go gotta get REEEEEEBS,,,,but make shore to ask for EXTRA SAUCE. place is named after BBQ SAUCE???? but only give you a tiny ketchup cup,,,,,??? GIMME DA SAUCE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hershey1 is the new hot spot in town

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Bring me some beer, TM :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Get on a plane, fly to KC, and go to the original Joe's location.

If you are poor and cannot due that, I have not been to Honey 1 since they moved but they are acceptable. Then Smoque if you are north or Uncle John's if you are south.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

that's funny, I was just going to say "go to Kansas City", but figured nobody likes a smart ass. I'll be there for a long 3 day weekend end of July. I always liked the beef ribs at Jack Stack and they have a full bar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
119th & Old Cicero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 am 
1000 CLUB

If you are poor and cannot due that, I have not been to Honey 1 since they moved but they are acceptable. Then Smoque if you are north or Uncle John's if you are south.

Thanks, I guess, for the KC recommendation. I prefer Texas and the Carolinas for barbecue. Chicago can't compete with those areas when it comes to smoked meat, but it's got plenty of spots I like--and several more I am interested in trying.

I am a long-time fan of the tips/links combo at Honey1. I think they are a lot better than acceptable.

In my opinion, much of Smoque's reputation is built around the fact that it was the first barbecue spot in the city specifically designed to appeal to white people. The barbecue has never struck me as anything other than pedestrian, although it's been several years since I've sampled it.

Mac Sevier, the pitmaster/owner at the legendary Uncle John's died several years ago. His daughter now runs Uncle J's. Is that the spot you were recommending? As I mentioned in my original post, I definitely plan on trying it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Get the fuck out of here with that Chicago aquarium bullshit! Rubbery ass steamed tips.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 am 
1000 CLUB

Big Moe Cason wrote:
Get the fuck out of here with that Chicago aquarium bullshit! Rubbery ass steamed tips.

LOL, only if they've been sitting around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
the few aquarium places I've been to use charcoal. is it always that way? tough to get a good wood smoke with charcoal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
If you don't like Smoque I don't know what to tell you. There's no better BBQ on the northside (which isn't saying a whole helluva a lot I know).

I hear Blackwood changed ownership or something like that and the product has dipped. But, I could be imaging that so you should confirm before accepting that as truth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 am 
1000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:
the few aquarium places I've been to use charcoal. is it always that way? tough to get a good wood smoke with charcoal.

The aquarium places I've frequented in the past use wood. I have seen some that use charcoal, and they were pretty bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:18 am 
1000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
If you don't like Smoque I don't know what to tell you. There's no better BBQ on the northside (which isn't saying a whole helluva a lot I know).

I hear Blackwood changed ownership or something like that and the product has dipped. But, I could be imaging that so you should confirm before accepting that as truth.

Thanks for the tip on Blackwood. I'll check it out.

It's possible that Smoque serves the best bbq on the North Side, but the best barbecue in the city is found on the south side.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 am 

Tall Midget wrote:

Thanks, I guess, for the KC recommendation. I prefer Texas and the Carolinas for barbecue. Chicago can't compete with those areas when it comes to smoked meat, but it's got plenty of spots I like--and several more I am interested in trying.

I am a long-time fan of the tips/links combo at Honey1. I think they are a lot better than acceptable.

In my opinion, much of Smoque's reputation is built around the fact that it was the first barbecue spot in the city specifically designed to appeal to white people. The barbecue has never struck me as anything other than pedestrian, although it's been several years since I've sampled it.

Mac Sevier, the pitmaster/owner at the legendary Uncle John's died several years ago. His daughter now runs Uncle J's. Is that the spot you were recommending? As I mentioned in my original post, I definitely plan on trying it.

Uncle Js on 47th isn't that hot. Went twice a couple of years ago and haven't been back. His niece wasn't cutting it. The Uncle John's on 83rd and out in Homewood are much better.

I don't know how brave you are, but for a tip link combo, I still hit Alice's on 43rd and Indiana. Especially for links. But unless you really want to wait, don't go after 6:30. But it's better than Honey 1 a mile east imho.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Thanks, I guess, for the KC recommendation. I prefer Texas and the Carolinas for barbecue.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:59 am 
1000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Uncle Js on 47th isn't that hot. Went twice a couple of years ago and haven't been back. His niece wasn't cutting it. The Uncle John's on 83rd and out in Homewood are much better.

I don't know how brave you are, but for a tip link combo, I still hit Alice's on 43rd and Indiana. Especially for links. But unless you really want to wait, don't go after 6:30. But it's better than Honey 1 a mile east imho.

Thanks for the info! Those Uncle John's spots are a little out of the way for me. I might give Alice's a shot, though. Have you been to Lem's recently? That was my introduction to South Side barbecue, but I haven't been there in more than 15 years. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Portillo's

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:27 pm 

I was thinking of the Uncle John's in Homewood. Strictly for the links, I prefer the coarser grind links with more heat in them to the Texas style finer grind German-ish links found at some other joints.

Smoque is graded on a curve compared to other parts of the country. The place that Gary Viviott consulted for on Wrightwood in the city was better, but they went out of business.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Tall Midget wrote:
I'm planning on hitting MANY barbecue spots during an upcoming visit to Chicago. New England barbecue is largely uninspired and unimpressive--most of the barbecue places here are trying to speak a language they only partially understand. So I am looking forward to reacquainting myself with some old favorites and trying some new ones as well.

In any event, the following establishments will definitely be part of my itinerary: Honey1, Uncle J's, Lem's, Earl's and Blackwood.

Earl's on Austin and Gunnison? I don't know where you are staying, that's kind of a haul for kind of OK BBQ. You might as well just visit me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

Telegram Sam wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Earl's on Austin and Gunnison? I don't know where you are staying, that's kind of a haul for kind of OK BBQ. You might as well just visit me.

Yeah, I have friends in the neighborhood, so I thought I'd check it out. Definitely planning on making a stop at your place. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:36 pm 

Hog Wild 149th and Pulaski in Midlothian or Chuck's Southern Comfort off of 79th and Ridgeland in Burbank.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:37 pm 

I don't think the McRib is coming back any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Tall Midget wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Yeah, I have friends in the neighborhood, so I thought I'd check it out. Definitely planning on making a stop at your place. :wink:

"Some guy out front is asking for recommendations on our finest victuals."

"I'm not here."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:43 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Hog Wild 149th and Pulaski in Midlothian or Chuck's Southern Comfort off of 79th and Ridgeland in Burbank.

Only the Burbank location of Chuck's, they can't seem to get the BBQ right at the Darien location. The rest of the Darien menu is fine, although it's a shame that he's cut back on the Mexican items.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
If you don't mind a drive I had Captain Porkey's in Wadsworth over the weekend. Had 1/2 lb of pulled pork, it was really good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
shakes wrote:
If you don't mind a drive I had Captain Porkey's in Wadsworth over the weekend. Had 1/2 lb of pulled pork, it was really good.

If I'm going all that way, I'm going to The Shanty for Oysters and Ouzo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Telegram Sam wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

"Some guy out front is asking for recommendations on our finest victuals."

"I'm not here."

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

shakes wrote:

Can't do it, although I've heard good things about that place.