It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:43 pm 

newper wrote:
Darkside wrote:
newper wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That doesn't answer the question. McDonalds is already likely saturated in the United States. How exactly would they grow?

I've been on this board for 10 years, and ignoring the mults and trolls, this is perhaps the most ignorant question I have ever read. Are you seriously saying that you don't see how a business can grow or shrink in the United States other than by creating more storefronts? I find it hard to express my feelings into words regarding reading that question.

Well give it a go anyhow. Brick will argue with you no matter what so have at it.

It has been nearly 6 hours since I read this, and it still is infuriating. Even an elementary school child could come up with ways that McDonalds could grow their business without opening up new stores. You could read a handful of news stories over the past few years and see things that they have done. It is insane to think an adult could not come up with a single idea or concept of how to grow a business other than to literally open up additional stores.
I'm not sure why that is infuriating but maybe you are using hyperbole. McDonalds revenue has dropped every year since 2013 so I'm not sure what news stories I should be reading over the past few years.

I understand that any company can add new products but it just isn't going to be a massive difference in revenue for them based off of their peak unless they expand into other non-fast food areas which doesn't seem to be a path.

That is however why I asked the question. What products can they add to promote rapid growth? Sometimes, a company is just huge and profitable and good at what they provide without being a company that will double in value over the next few years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:45 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Its brick dude. Hes... just bricking. He doesn't really believe what he says. He just tries to be a penis to rule people up here.

What is wrong with you? Seriously. I try and ignore you because of how much you have changed but it's hard when you act like this.

Maybe use the foe list you are so proud of telling everyone about and your use of it on another person.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:49 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Its brick dude. Hes... just bricking. He doesn't really believe what he says. He just tries to be a penis to rule people up here.

What is wrong with you? Seriously. I try and ignore you because of how much you have changed but it's hard when you act like this.

Maybe use the foe list you are so proud of telling everyone about and your use of it on another person.

Nah mate I never changed.
Do you believe what I said isnt true?

Interesting.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'm not sure why that is infuriating but maybe you are using hyperbole. McDonalds revenue has dropped every year since 2013 so I'm not sure what news stories I should be reading over the past few years.

I understand that any company can add new products but it just isn't going to be a massive difference in revenue for them based off of their peak unless they expand into other non-fast food areas which doesn't seem to be a path.

That is however why I asked the question. What products can they add to promote rapid growth? Sometimes, a company is just huge and profitable and good at what they provide without being a company that will double in value over the next few years.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/char ... lds/ebitda

McDonalds had a 17% increase in EBITDA in 2017. Revenue is not how we grade company success. That's like grading a starting pitcher on wins and losses. (And I am not implying that EBITDA is the only metric to use to grade a company, just that it is better than revenue.)

They responded to the market and sold breakfast all day. They've switched from frozen beef to fresh beef. This has resulted in a net increase in volume. I know you don't believe that can possibly make a difference since they are already everywhere anyway, but it does make a difference when you have 1,200 customers in a day versus 1,000. And especially if you multiply it by the thousands of stores that they have in the United States. (I'm restricting this to the US because I think you did earlier, so I don't want to do apples and oranges.)

Nobody is saying McDonalds is going to double their growth, nor was it ever implied anywhere. However, of course they can grow, and they should grow! And in the past, there have been instances of companies that have mega growth. Do you remember that Chipotle was originally a McDonalds company? It isn't impossible to believe that McDonalds could come up with a similar idea where they see a hole in the market needing to be filled.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:01 pm 

newper wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

McDonalds had a 17% increase in EBITDA in 2017. Revenue is not how we grade company success. That's like grading a starting pitcher on wins and losses. (And I am not implying that EBITDA is the only metric to use to grade a company, just that it is better than revenue.)

They responded to the market and sold breakfast all day. They've switched from frozen beef to fresh beef. This has resulted in a net increase in volume. I know you don't believe that can possibly make a difference since they are already everywhere anyway, but it does make a difference when you have 1,200 customers in a day versus 1,000. And especially if you multiply it by the thousands of stores that they have in the United States. (I'm restricting this to the US because I think you did earlier, so I don't want to do apples and oranges.)

Nobody is saying McDonalds is going to double their growth, nor was it ever implied anywhere. However, of course they can grow, and they should grow! And in the past, there have been instances of companies that have mega growth. Do you remember that Chipotle was originally a McDonalds company? It isn't impossible to believe that McDonalds could come up with a similar idea where they see a hole in the market needing to be filled.

The thing is we were talking about revenue. Your agitated emotional state may have been the reason you failed to grasp that concept. We are talking about growth of sales, and how Chik-Fil-A is growing faster than they are. So, please don't change the argument and then act like I was wrong.

As for them starting a completely separate operation that doesn't even have the name McDonalds, then yes, they could. I also wouldn't consider it to be valid in this discussion any more than the hypothetical chain of used car dealerships McDonalds could also open to try and grow.

Now, there is no reason to argue a completely separate point as there are many reasons that EBITDA can be better or worse even with lower total revenue. Some of which may be due to growth and some may not. However, to spare you yet another ruined day of anger based on my post about McDonalds I will leave it at that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Really enjoying the direction this thread has taken.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Really enjoying the direction this thread has taken.

I have as well! I'm coming apart at the seams like Michael Richards at a stand-up show.

I think I have quoted several times that Brick is asking how McDonalds will grow, and that they won't grow because they are "likely saturated" in the United States. This is an absurd position to hold by anyone, let alone someone who drives a Dodge Stratus. Also, the statement wasn't that they are growing slower than Chic-Fil-A, it was a question on if McDonalds could grow at all given their market saturation. I never once commented on Chic-Fil-A at all.

Also, it is difficult to argue something when the other person decides what revenue streams are subject to discussion or not. I think McDonalds investing in other "brands" in the fast-food or fast-casual space would be important to this conversation, but what do I know other than I have more than a grade school education on how business works.

Perhaps the long-term key to McDonald's success will be launching pods out to the moon and other bodies in space in a hopes to monopolize the fast food industry there. There's certainly no other way they could grow (revenue apparently -- I thought we would be talking about business in general, but OK revenue) without extra franchises.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
He's just bein brick man. It's nothing personal. He probably agrees with you for what its worth.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
newper wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's so amusing to me that McDonald's is going all out with fresh beef, ice cream novelties, doing all these things to chase a market that's leaving traditional fast food as we knew it behind, and then on the other hand you have Burger King and Taco Bell like "look, I don't know, it's a burger and we coated it in Doritos crumbs, again, I really don't know, fuck you, it's whatever" and it seems to be working for both sides.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:30 am 

newper wrote:
I think I have quoted several times that Brick is asking how McDonalds will grow, and that they won't grow because they are "likely saturated" in the United States. This is an absurd position to hold by anyone, let alone someone who drives a Dodge Stratus. Also, the statement wasn't that they are growing slower than Chic-Fil-A, it was a question on if McDonalds could grow at all given their market saturation. I never once commented on Chic-Fil-A at all.
No, but I was commenting about Chik-Fil-A and the growth rates between the two restaurants. My first post in this thread was in direct response to this: "They're still wondering how a chain that's open 6 days instead of 7 is growing faster than its restaurants are."
newper wrote:
Also, it is difficult to argue something when the other person decides what revenue streams are subject to discussion or not. I think McDonalds investing in other "brands" in the fast-food or fast-casual space would be important to this conversation, but what do I know other than I have more than a grade school education on how business works.
As I just pointed out, we are talking about McDonalds restaurants here. You seem to want to have a completely different conversation than we were having here. I mean, I guess I could have, when responding to someone about how Chik-Fil-A is growing faster than McDonalds said "Well, McDonalds could open up a fast casual Indian restaurant to compete with that" but I don't think it would have made a whole lot of sense there.
newper wrote:
Perhaps the long-term key to McDonald's success will be launching pods out to the moon and other bodies in space in a hopes to monopolize the fast food industry there. There's certainly no other way they could grow (revenue apparently -- I thought we would be talking about business in general, but OK revenue) without extra franchises.
No offense, but you aren't exactly coming off as having more than a grade school education when you make arguments like a grade schooler.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
This thread is the essence.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

This is what the board was like two years ago. Just trying to do my part. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:01 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

This is like two heavyweights standing in the center of the ring trading blows. Who will get the knockout?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
You have to wonder how profitable McDonald's will be when they get their robot workers.

https://youtu.be/qHab8s7Aw7A?t=326

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
newper wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's so amusing to me that McDonald's is going all out with fresh beef, ice cream novelties, doing all these things to chase a market that's leaving traditional fast food as we knew it behind, and then on the other hand you have Burger King and Taco Bell like "look, I don't know, it's a burger and we coated it in Doritos crumbs, again, I really don't know, fuck you, it's whatever" and it seems to be working for both sides.

:lol: fuck you coat it in Doritos it’s whatever. I love you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I've never seen anybody argue with Newper, he's the nicest guy who posts here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
312player wrote:

Yeah it is odd seeing newper fired up on a Sunday night/Monday morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:11 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
312player wrote:

Yeah it is odd seeing newper fired up on a Sunday night/Monday morning.

Good guy. Buys McMuffins.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Ok this CEO departure is one thing. But for his hand picked head of HR to depart right behind him, pun intended.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:15 pm 

Maybe the HR guy was banging the same underling.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Regular Reader wrote:
Maybe the HR guy was banging the same underling.

Possibly. Possibly it was reported to the HR person, who buried it. And behind curtain number three is the two Brits getting blokish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Denis is always looking for gay sex.