It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Louisville
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
A buddy and I are heading there to see a Wilco show in November. Never been there. Definitely want to go to the Louisville Slugger plant but that's about the only thing on my agenda. You guys have an recommendations on things to do, place(s) to stay, restaurants/bars, etc.?

Post subject: Re: Louisville
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:56 am 

Take a little ride on the Bourbon trail if you have a car. If not, you can do a bus tour.

Go to Churchill Downs. You can take a tour or not. It is just an interesting place for some history.

I believe there is a Muhammad Ali museum.

Something off the beaten path: on the other side of the river is a little state park with so many fossils on the shore you could, illegally, just pick one up and walk away with it. Cool for 30 minutes

Last edited by good dolphin on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
https://www.21cmuseumhotels.com/louisville#fooddrink

Might be too hipster for you, but it's a really cool place.

It also houses a really cool bourbon themed bar called Proof on Main.

I'm pretty sure it's just down the street from the LS Museum.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Take a drive down Bardstown Road. Lots of non-chain restaurants, bars, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I lived in Louisville for eight months. They have Waffle House.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Valhalla.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Furious Styles wrote:
Valhalla.

I have an outside shot at that, but I don't know if they will still be open in November.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
There's plenty of places to drink, but I have to say, Louisville might be the single most overrated destination in the U.S. Everyone of these mid-south/midwestern river towns are the same. Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, and St. Louis are all the same place with a slightly different gloss. They have empty underdeveloped down towns and a river that is usually separated from the town by a highway, a bluff, or a ton of empty space. There may be a cool neighborhood or two, but visiting them makes you appreciate Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
good dolphin wrote:
Go to Churchill Downs. You can take a tour or not. It is just an interesting place for some history.

They also have a nice museum there too with the history of thoroughbred racing and of course the Kentucky Derby.
good dolphin wrote:

I was there two years ago. It is right off the river downtown. It is really well put together... I spent a leisurely 2 - 2.5 hours in there while the kids were ziplining in the caves.

There's a small chain in that area (Louisville, Cinci, Indianapolis, and Colombus) called The Eagle that has fantastic fried chicken. Totally recommend it. If you aren't into fried chicken, you can get Hot Browns at The Brown Hotel (of course), but you can probably find some microbrews that have good ones.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:25 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
There's plenty of places to drink, but I have to say, Louisville might be the single most overrated destination in the U.S. Everyone of these mid-south/midwestern river towns are the same. Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, and St. Louis are all the same place with a slightly different gloss. They have empty underdeveloped down towns and a river that is usually separated from the town by a highway, a bluff, or a ton of empty space. There may be a cool neighborhood or two, but visiting them makes you appreciate Chicago.

I think that's an overly harsh assessment. It is a nice, tertiary level town that is a car accessible weekend destination.

I don't know about Cincinnati but I'd say the same of Memphis, Nashville and to a lesser degree St. Louis. Get there Friday night. Explore Saturday. Party Saturday night. Explore a little Sunday and get out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Take a little ride on the Bourbon trail if you have a car. If not, you can do a bus tour.

Something off the beaten path: on the other side of the river is a little state park with so many fossils on the shore you could, illegally, just pick one up and walk away with it. Cool for 30 minutes

Bourbon Trail will be absolutely gorgeous in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Warren Newson wrote:
Nashville is nothing like what you described.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Nashville is fucking awesome. We ventured all over the city.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I think that's an overly harsh assessment. It is a nice, tertiary level town that is a car accessible weekend destination.

I don't know about Cincinnati but I'd say the same of Memphis, Nashville and to a lesser degree St. Louis. Get there Friday night. Explore Saturday. Party Saturday night. Explore a little Sunday and get out.

I agree with most of what you had to say. The problem is, I think Louisville's reputation is starting to unjustifiably exceed "a nice, tertiary level town that is a car accessible weekend destination." I was there over Columbus Day weekend two years ago, and if I met another person who said they were from New York, I was going to vomit. With the increasing trendiness of bourbon, it's become an increasingly trendy destination, and outside of bourbon, there's really not much there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:29 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

It was when I was there 16 years ago. Granted, it might have changed some since then. It's Memphis with country replacing the blues, and the state capital dropped in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Nashville has changed dramatically in the last 16 years.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Fourth Street has a nice outdoors, canopied restaurant row. Hit or miss on the restaurants but it was kind of a nice place to hang and have a few drinks.

Ate at Doc Crow's for BBQ and was pretty impressed by the food. Not the best, but liked it still.

There's a riverwalk by the Louisville Slugger factory that's not too bad. Factory tour is kind of overrated.

All that said, Louisville is a shit city. Lots of crime and really need to be careful in some areas. Churchill Downs is kind of cool to visit, but its surrounded by slums and plight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:41 pm 

Fun podcasts out of the Louisville area. First one's about a recent string of unsolved murders in Bardstown. Including the ambush shotgunning to death of a former minor league baseball player turned Bardstown cop. Jason Ellis was a catcher in the Reds system.

Bardstown so-so as a podcast. It's a story that's been covered many times. This one just started up, only 4 eps in, so far nothing new. They do have super-annoying interviews with some of the victim's crying family members. Might be more interesting if'n you're not already familiar with the various unsolved killings and accompanying police corruption and political intrigue; which apparently corrupt cops/public officials is par for the course in the Bluegrass state.

The Pope's Long Con is about a dime-store Huey Long who rode Trump's coattails into public office in 2016. Dan Johnson, aka the Pope, the subject of the podcast: preacher/biker/Republican state rep out of South Louisville was originally from Loozyanna.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:06 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

It was when I was there 16 years ago. Granted, it might have changed some since then. It's Memphis with country replacing the blues, and the state capital dropped in.

16 years ago :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:12 am 
1000 CLUB

Nashville has changed dramatically in the last 5 years since downtown flooded.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Warren Newson wrote:
Everyone of these mid-south/midwestern river towns are the same. Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, and St. Louis are all the same place with a slightly different gloss. They have empty underdeveloped down towns and a river that is usually separated from the town by a highway, a bluff, or a ton of empty space. There may be a cool neighborhood or two, but visiting them makes you appreciate Chicago.

They are similar but they are nice. I like the river cities. St Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincy. Visiting them makes me want to leave Chicago actually.

Also St Louis is a step above the others. More developed, more to do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
whistler wrote:
Visiting them makes me want to leave Chicago actually.
Don't stop at Chicago. Go ahead and leave Earth alltogether.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.