It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
new place opened up in the neighborhood, Elston about 20 feet south of Irving Park. Right across street from McDonalds. Little sandwich place only serving midwest favorites with a rotating menu.

Tried it last night and it was really good. I had the fried chicken sandwich which was better than Honey Butter and even, dare I say, Popeyes. Brined thigh on a buttery roll with pickles and maple chipotle mayo. So good. Fries were good and came with a good dipping sauce.

Other things on menu include breaded pork tenderloin, detroit coney dog, roast turkey with stuffing and cranberry, a few burger options, fancy grilled cheese, homemade chicken salad and some I'm forgetting.

Been dying for a place like this to open up. Now I just gotta convince them to be open on Sundays.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
shakes wrote:
new place opened up in the neighborhood, Elston about 20 feet south of Irving Park. Right across street from McDonalds. Little sandwich place only serving midwest favorites with a rotating menu.

Tried it last night and it was really good. I had the fried chicken sandwich which was better than Honey Butter and even, dare I say, Popeyes. Brined thigh on a buttery roll with pickles and maple chipotle mayo. So good. Fries were good and came with a good dipping sauce.

Other things on menu include breaded pork tenderloin, detroit coney dog, roast turkey with stuffing and cranberry, a few burger options, fancy grilled cheese, homemade chicken salad and some I'm forgetting.

Been dying for a place like this to open up. Now I just gotta convince them to be open on Sundays.

I want to try the pork tenderloin. A "Made-Rite" sandwich is an Iowa loose meat thing, right?

Anyway, GTFO with anything-"battered" fries.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Battered fries are the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:53 pm 

And even though thigh is far more flavorful for a chicken sandwich, people will inevitably bitch that it is not breast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Pork?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
The skirt steak sandwich sounds good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Pork tenderloin is awesome.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:05 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Battered fries are the worst.

The fries were good and came with a tangy dipping sauce. I read online that the fried pickles were amazing, gonna try those next.

Everything on the menu sounds really good. Would've tried the turkey sandwich, but gotta at least wait till thanksgiving is over before getting that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:07 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
And even though thigh is far more flavorful for a chicken sandwich, people will inevitably patriot that it is not breast.

people who know food know that the thigh is much better than the breast. But you're right, inevitably someone will give it a bad review because it's not as huge as Popeyes.

The batter is much better than Popeye's as well. And unlike Popeye's this place doesn't feel the need to quadruple batter the sandwich in order to make it more crispy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I can throw a rock and hit this place from my office. I will check it out soon. And yes, coated fries suck. It truly is like gilding a lily.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:25 am 

Tried the steak sandwich the other night. Fantastic. This place is a keeper. Hopefully word gets out and business picks up, been pretty quiet when I've been there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
shakes wrote:
Tried the steak sandwich the other night. Fantastic. This place is a keeper. Hopefully word gets out and business picks up, been pretty quiet when I've been there.

Another good spot for you to check out is Ludlow Liquors in the old Orbit Room space. I know you're not a big drinker but the food is great. Small menu, but just awesome. Really good burger.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:

Another good spot for you to check out is Ludlow Liquors in the old Orbit Room space. I know you're not a big drinker but the food is great. Small menu, but just awesome. Really good burger.

I'm not a fan of going to eat at bars. I feel pressure to order drinks and neither me or the wife like drinking these days. I know you don't have to drink and no one would care one way or the other, but I just feel this societal pressure to at least nurse one beer when I'm in a bar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:36 pm 

shakes wrote:

They have a Facebook page, but it doesn't look like they have a website or Instagram, even though their food is made for Instagram. Eater Chicago wrote about them 6 weeks before they opened their doors, which is an absolute gift. That's when you start cranking your social media and attracting followers with buildout pictures and menu photos (you can overdo this too, but it shouldn't be radio silence.) Also, given that they opened in the fall, they should probably bite the bullet and get on board with at least Grubhub (nobody likes the 30% haircut, but but it keeps orders coming though the door, keeps the product fresh, gets your name in front of people who don't travel Elston.

That B-Side Burger place at Irving and Hamlin lasted 10 months. when they closed they had 300 Facebook followers. If your out here in the unhip sticks you have to work extra hard to remind people you exist, and that you are a destination spot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:36 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
shakes wrote:

They have a Facebook page, but it doesn't look like they have a website or Instagram, even though their food is made for Instagram. Eater Chicago wrote about them 6 weeks before they opened their doors, which is an absolute gift. That's when you start cranking your social media and attracting followers with buildout pictures and menu photos (you can overdo this too, but it shouldn't be radio silence.) Also, given that they opened in the fall, they should probably bite the bullet and get on board with at least Grubhub (nobody likes the 30% haircut, but but it keeps orders coming though the door, keeps the product fresh, gets your name in front of people who don't travel Elston.

That B-Side Burger place at Irving and Hamlin lasted 10 months. when they closed they had 300 Facebook followers. If your out here in the unhip sticks you have to work extra hard to remind people you exist, and that you are a destination spot.

sounds like someone in the business should go over there and offer his services to the owner.