It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kings and Convicts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Seacrest wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
I'm guessing it was a steal as well. I have a couple ideas on who may have backed this.

Kings & Convicts was able to pull off this week’s acquisition of Ballast Point thanks to the investment of wine industry magnate Richard Mahoney, Kings & Convicts co-founder Brendan Watters acknowledged Wednesday.

I did not know their connection, but it makes sense. It's nice to have a big shooter as a mentor and a backer. They've added a couple additional investors as well...I'm curious who.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Seacrest wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
I'm guessing it was a steal as well. I have a couple ideas on who may have backed this.

Kings & Convicts was able to pull off this week’s acquisition of Ballast Point thanks to the investment of wine industry magnate Richard Mahoney, Kings & Convicts co-founder Brendan Watters acknowledged Wednesday.

That guy sells shitty wine to 7-Elevens.

I do have a funny Green Flash story though. This is from several years ago. The Padres had a strong partnership with Ballast Point. They sold it all over Petco. Maybe they still do, I don't know.

The guys from Green Flash inquired about green screen advertising behind home plate. I'm guessing whoever was handling that corporate advertising for the Padres was well aware of how selling that space to Green Flash might play with Ballast Point. So he threw out some ridiculously high figure that he knew Green Flash couldn't pay.

Well, the guys from Green Flash bought two season tickets right behind the plate, like where the M&Ms guy sits at Sox Park. And then they ran a campaign to give away the two seats for every game with the caveat that whoever took the tickets would agree to wear Green Flash t-shirts. Pretty brilliant workaround if you ask me. The Padres and Ballast Point were both quite unhappy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
GoldenJet wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I did not know their connection, but it makes sense. It's nice to have a big shooter as a mentor and a backer. They've added a couple additional investors as well...I'm curious who.

I was hoping that would confirm your suspicions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:06 am 

Seacrest wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I was hoping that would confirm your suspicions.

I'm not all that clued in...but I know the people who are.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
They seem adamant to protect their K & C brand, which leads me to believe there is an interest in making Ballast profitable and reselling it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:41 am 

Perhaps. This provides K&C instant expansion opportunity.

I wonder if they get to keep a distribution deal with Reyes, who distributed BP for Constellation. That would open K&C to a massive distribution network.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
GoldenJet wrote:

I wonder if they get to keep a distribution deal with Reyes, who distributed BP for Constellation. That would open K&C to a massive distribution network.

It's all based on geography, but for me, both Ballast and K&C are with Town and Country Distributors, which is not Reyes (Windy City would be my Reyes distributor.) You pay a percentage to the distributor regardless, they will be in a better position to negotiate the rate for K&C.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:53 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
They seem adamant to protect their K & C brand, which leads me to believe there is an interest in making Ballast profitable and reselling it.
Once you wear the crown of the King you don't want to give it up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:30 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

It's all based on geography, but for me, both Ballast and K&C are with Town and Country Distributors, which is not Reyes (Windy City would be my Reyes distributor.) You pay a percentage to the distributor regardless, they will be in a better position to negotiate the rate for K&C.

Gotcha. I was reading a piece about Constellation pulling their SoCal distribution away from one group and giving it to Reyes...thought maybe they were distributed by Reyes everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:51 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Kirkwood wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
I mean...who fucking cares at that point? :lol: Start a new company.

fwiw: I don't care for ballast point.

i like their stuff. it's just crazy how they went from everywhere to nobodies within 5 years.

The quality and availability of craft beer has dramatically increased in the past 5 years.

Ballast Point was pretty good for 2014 or so, but most of their products are only so-so by 2019 standards.

There is absolutely no reason to buy Sculpin or Grapefruit Sculpin if you live in a major metropolitan area.

The new Ballast Point owners are going to have to significantly improve the brewery's product to have a fighting chance in a saturated market.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Tall Midget wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
I mean...who fucking cares at that point? :lol: Start a new company.

fwiw: I don't care for ballast point.

i like their stuff. it's just crazy how they went from everywhere to nobodies within 5 years.

The quality and availability of craft beer has dramatically increased in the past 5 years.

Ballast Point was pretty good for 2014 or so, but most of their products are only so-so by 2019 standards.

There is absolutely no reason to buy Sculpin or Grapefruit Sculpin if you live in a major metropolitan area.

The new Ballast Point owners are going to have to significantly improve the brewery's product to have a fighting chance in a saturated market.

It really is astounding to me how hyper-local my beer purchases are these days. I remember trading for and driving to Indiana to buy Stone and Pizza Port beers. Now Penrose, Riverlands, and Pollyanna are basically all I buy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Stone and Revolution are still my favs.

We finally got MWRD permits for the new Une Annee brewery in Niles on Gross Point. I never had their or the Hubbard's Cave beers. I'll probably stop in once they finish the building to see my design in person. But, I'm not sure. The owner pissed me off pretty good 6 weeks ago, so I may just slam them in reviews.