It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
How bout we give this Jew something to live vicariously through. Post your holiday meals and traditions. Very interested to hear what you filthy pagans do over the next couple days.

Here are our plans:

PLay hockey 1:15-2:45
later that night me and the wife will watch either Die Hard 3 or Planes, Trains and Auto. Wife hasn't seen either. We'll watch one tomorrow night and one during christmas day.
For meals we are going with 24 hours of breakfast. Wife is making french toast casserole. I'm gonna pick up bagels, lox and cream cheese from NY Bagel and bially. I'm cooking hash browns and omlettes.
Watch basketball on Christmas day

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
shakes wrote:
How bout we give this Jew something to live vicariously through. Post your holiday meals and traditions. Very interested to hear what you filthy pagans do over the next couple days.

Here are our plans:

later that night me and the wife will watch either Die Hard 3 or Planes, Trains and Auto. Wife hasn't seen either. We'll watch one tomorrow night and one during christmas day.
For meals we are going with 24 hours of breakfast. Wife is making french toast casserole. I'm gonna pick up bagels, lox and cream cheese from NY Bagel and bially. I'm cooking hash browns and omlettes.

Don't forget the bacon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Christmas eve...big family get together. Not sure what is being served, but if I had to guess, pasta and beef.

Christmas Day...my house. Other half of my family (the side I'm not a big fan of for the most part). I finally convinced my wife that a taco bar was a great idea. Making carnitas and beef. Rice, beans, guac, etc. My kids are excited because Santa comes and they get to eat tacos with their cousins.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:47 pm 

Nardi wrote:
shakes wrote:

Here are our plans:

Don't forget the bacon

I never forget the bacon. Its the only breakfast meat I like.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I can't believe your wife hasn't seen those movies. She should love 'Planes, Trains, and Auto's

Eve
Pizza set ups on Christmas Eve with my family. My wife and bro in law have to work, so scheduling remains a bit fluid. This way we can make a pizza or two whenever and eat a decent time, and whenever the BIL and wife arrive, we'll cook the third so they can have a fresh dinner. MANY gifts will be opened. A couple of drinks are likely to be had, but not many as we have to prepare for Santa's arrival. Eve's festivities usually wrap up around 10-10:30.

Day
Santa's gifts for AJ and the wife and I exchange in the AM. While doing so, our tradition is to have a fire going and we have cinnamon rolls for breakfast. If it's too warm out for a fire (and it likely will be), then I burn one of those 'fake' logs that act more or less like a giant candle. Then some down time and prep before her family arrives in the mid-late afternoon. MIL is making lasagna and we'll have eyetalian sausage, homemade garlic bread, and salad. I'll grill the sausages either Eve or Day in the morning so that they are nice and crispy and charred, then we just warm them in red sauce before dinner. MANY drinks will be consumed. Presents for the kiddos after dinner and the adults do an 'ugly ornament' grab bag. The night ends with the men of the family heading outdoors for some bourbon and a cigar, which gives the women time to be catty about other family gossip inside. Day's festivities generally will end on it's own accord. Some years people are gone by 9 or 10, other years we're playing drinking games at the kitchen table at 1am.

We host both Xmas Eve and Xmas Day this year. Sometimes Xmas Eve is at my folk's, but we've hosted Xmas Day more often than not since we got married in 2013. Also on both days I play The Andy Griffith Show; Christmas Story on colorized DVD at some point.

I also took Thursday off for recovery and general clean up. With the weather being quite warm, however, we're kicking around the idea of going to Lincoln Park Zoo.

I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, joyous Kwanzaa, and a wonderful New Year!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Eve - Dinner with my Dad and co. Looks like it's Meatloaf this year....fine with me.
Chirstmas Day - My kids arrive 10-11. Gifts then we head to my sisters. Guessing it's Turkey and prime rib
28th - Another gathering with Dad and co...this time so my sister and group can attend
29th - Dinner at my Aunt's.

Too many events. I hate the holidays. Thanksgiving was the best this year cause my wife and I skipped town.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

You can skip town next year for Christmas just as easy. Xmas Eve/NYE, Thursday. Xmas Day/NY Day, Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:29 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
You can skip town next year for Christmas just as easy. Xmas Eve/NYE, Thursday. Xmas Day/NY Day, Friday.

In 30 months, my youngest walks across a HS graduation stage. Once that happens, I plan on skipping town for every holiday.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

MOVE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:30 pm 

THAT'S THE PLAN!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
shakes wrote:
Nardi wrote:
shakes wrote:

Here are our plans:

Don't forget the bacon

JINO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
wdelaney72 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

In 30 months, my youngest walks across a HS graduation stage. Once that happens, I plan on skipping town for every holiday.

Congrats

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:27 pm 

Nardi wrote:
shakes wrote:
Nardi wrote:
shakes wrote:

Here are our plans:

Don't forget the bacon

JINO

ha, I think there's a little more that goes into being Jewish than just being one of the 5% of all Jews who keep kosher.

Winning Maccabei Gold pretty much moves you to the top of the pecking order, right below rabbi and just above canter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
My cousin took over Christmas Day from my mom about 35 years ago, and her daughter will probably take over in 2-3 years. She's made some minor changes over the years, but the core of the main course has been prime rib in our family for probably 70 years if not longer. My grandfather was a butcher and one of the first Centrella grocers back in the Depression and my late uncle inherited the business in Austin before the area went to shit and he sold out. So high quality beef is a must. When my dad had his restaurant, he'd get the really good stuff from his long-time purveyors.

Prime rib with my grandmother's gravy recipe, homemade mashed potatoes or roast whole baby potatoes, Greek style tossed salad, glazed carrots, one other vegetable, Greek cheeses and olives. More recently a second kind of meat (sometimes ham, sometimes lamb cooked indirectly on the Weber). Chilled shrimp and a couple of kinds of dip for starters. Various homemade pies and cookies for dessert. My cousin has an 11 year old granddaughter who is the only person to ever perfectly replicate my mom's Greek cookie recipe, she did it at 8. She loves to bake and watches Food Network competition shows religiously. In 6-7 years as her great aunts hit their late 70s, she will be running the entire dessert course.

26th: watching HS basketball live with cousins from the other side of the family and their K-8 boys. Substantial beer consumption for the adults.

Last edited by Chet Coppock's Fur Coat on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:08 pm 

shakes wrote:
Nardi wrote:
shakes wrote:
Nardi wrote:
shakes wrote:

Here are our plans:

Don't forget the bacon

JINO

ha, I think there's a little more that goes into being Jewish than just being one of the 5% of all Jews who keep kosher. .

complaining
not paying retail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:09 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
My cousin took over Christmas Day from my mom about 35 years ago, and her daughter will probably take over in 2-3 years. She's made some minor changes over the years, but the core of the main course has been prime rib in our family for probably 70 years if not longer. My grandfather was a butcher and one of the first Centrella grocers back in the Depression and my late uncle inherited the business in Austin before the area went to shit and he sold out. So high quality beef is a must. When my dad had his restaurant, he'd get the really good stuff from his long-time purveyors.

Prime rib with my grandmother's gravy recipe, homemade mashed potatoes or roast whole baby potatoes, Greek style tossed salad, glazed carrots, one other vegetable, Greek cheeses and olives. More recently a second kind of meat (sometimes ham, sometimes lamb cooked indirectly on the Weber). Chilled shrimp and a couple of kinds of dip for starters. Various homemade pies and cookies for dessert. My cousin has an 11 year old granddaughter who is the only person to ever perfectly replicate my mom's Greek cookie recipe, she did it at 8. She loves to bake and watches Food Network competition shows religiously. In 6-7 years as her great aunts hit their late 70s, she will be running the entire dessert course.

you ever try making Yorkshire pudding with the prime rib. It's easy and tastes great, especially with gravy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:14 pm 

my holiday is a whirlwind

work until 3
mass downtown at assumption at 4
dinner at my parents at 6
drive to munster, in to catch the very tail end of my BIL party at about 10:30
drag home at 1
wake up whenever (used to be early but the kids now sleep very late)
presents and breakfast at home
give the old lady the candy cane
go to my MIL at about 3
she holds us hostage until midnight or later

wake up for work the next day

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:35 pm 

Prime rib and sides with the sons and their friends tomorrow, their aunt gave up the night two years ago, one last go round at my parents on Xmas with the obligatory ham and turkey. New yeaar's at my aunt's since our uncle will be BBQing.

Very little drinking with them though. It's usually the ones that I can't stand that do the imbibing and I refuse to drink with people I don't care for. Plus home is no farther than 2 to 20 minutes away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:
Prime rib

Would love to have that kind of money.

Regular Reader wrote:
I refuse to drink with people I don't care for.

Are these the friggin' Lugans? I can't blame you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Rather uninneresting. My mother is coming to spend the night tomorrow. Having roast goose tomorrow.then midnight mass. Fondue mid day on Christmas. Just the five of us. Jigsaw puzzle. Lot of booze for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:16 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
my holiday is a whirlwind

work until 3
mass downtown at assumption at 4
dinner at my parents at 6
drive to munster, in to catch the very tail end of my BIL party at about 10:30
drag home at 1
wake up whenever (used to be early but the kids now sleep very late)
presents and breakfast at home
give the old lady the candy cane
go to my MIL at about 3
she holds us hostage until midnight or later

wake up for work the next day

dolphin and RR are the perfect combination of eruditeness and nineteen year-oldness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:23 pm 

My mom is making roast beef, but unfortunately, we're going to the zoo on Christmas. It's like the undergraduate library at night--Jews and people whose ancestors hailed from Asia--but it's giddy fun and it keeps the kids off their devices. But her roast beef is amazing.

Nothing Christmas Eve. My family party used to be on Christmas Eve with about twenty pizzas, but we have it a few days earlier now. Wife goes to her sister's with the kids; I'm banned, though, so I'll be cruising the backroads, looking for cool barns to photograph.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Ok why are you banned?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Christmas Eve - Lawrence's shrimp, italian beef sandwhiches, barbecue pork.

Christmas - Ham and Lamb.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Christmas Eve is a bunch of seafood. Mussels, calamari, baked clams, shrimp and so on.

Christmas I'm staying home with the dog.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I go to my aunt's on Christmas Eve. I have a small family so we are all there. We get started around around 2 in the afternoon with heavy appetizers. Presents get passed around a couple hours after that then usually some Italian beef. I will be home and done with my family obligations by 10-11 Christmas Eve. I am delivering "Meals on Wheels" on Christmas morning then going to play some golf after that. My Christmas dinner will be probably be a frozen pizza.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I will likely be playing Santa Claus tomorrow night for my first cousins twice removed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I will likely be playing Santa Claus tomorrow night for my first cousins twice removed.

How does she look?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

How does she look?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Adorable.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU