It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What brand do you use?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I need a proper olive oil. For cooking sicko's. What's your favorite brand?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:40 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I use a lot of olive oil and I've never been brand loyal or even band conscious.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:45 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
band conscious.

Aaaap. JORR tossing out fake band names early on a Monday.

We've had some really good olive oils, but never at home. Whether using it as part of cooking process or in cold dishes. Do you stay in a certain price point or literally just grab a bottle and go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
beni hanna wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
band conscious.

Aaaap. JORR tossing out fake band names early on a Monday.

We've had some really good olive oils, but never at home. Whether using it as part of cooking process or in cold dishes. Do you stay in a certain price point or literally just grab a bottle and go.

When I'm cooking at the club I'm price conscious. But I'd draw the line at Kirkland brand, if there even is such a thing. My wife buys more expensive stuff for home.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:33 am 

There is a Kirkland brand. It's huge as expected. It's not that good in my opinion. The Kirkland experience is the genesis for this thread. What is a good brand? Regular or extra virgin? And thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:38 am 

beni hanna wrote:
There is a Kirkland brand. It's huge as expected. It's not that good in my opinion. The Kirkland experience is the genesis for this thread. What is a good brand? Regular or extra virgin? And thanks.

It's good for cooking. I buy the bottle with the prettiest picture of Italy on the top shelf at the grocery store if it is for eating on something.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I use a lot of olive oil and I've never been brand loyal or even band conscious.

same. one thing i would caution of is 'blends'...obviously you'd notice a lower price point but i've seen labels that are confusing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:05 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
extra virgin - mid priced. avocado oil works too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I get the oil in nondescript bottles with all the plants stuffed in them. Like at Ross, Big Lots or Home Goods.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
avocado oil works too.

This guy gets it.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
California Olive Ranch. Can be found in most supermarkets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Quote:
Oils that failed to meet EVOO standards:
Carapelli
Colavita
Star
Filippo Berio
Mazzola
Mezzetta
Newman’s Own
Safeway
Whole Foods

Quote:
The best olive oil brands would be those that have passed the extra-virgin standards. The list below is from the research above.

Bariani Olive Oil is Stone Crushed, Cold-Pressed, Decanted, and Unfiltered. They are committed to producing the best olive oil which is raw. Weston Price recommends this brand.

Corto Olive – can sometimes be purchased at Costco.

Cobram Estate – Australia’s most awarded brand

California Olive Ranch – Award-winning brand. It is in a tinted glass bottle that protects oil and is 100% grown and made in California.

Kirkland Organic – Amazon says: “Certified organic by the USDA. Made from the first cold pressing.” Comments on Amazon: of the 478 people who gave stars, 73% gave 5 stars. I have to say it is very delicious, tasting like real olives; I’m just finishing up the bottle I bought.

Lucero (Ascolano)– the olives are grown, harvested, and produced into the most authentic 100% Californian oil.

McEvoy Ranch Organic– one of the highest-scoring brands, also from California.

Ottavio – good but is packaged in a plastic bottle.

Omaggio – Couldn’t find this anywhere.

Whole Foods California 365 Olive Oil – 100% Californian, Unfiltered, Cold Processed, California Olive Oil Council – Certified Extra Virgin – Currently unavailable.

Olea Estates – Grown on a single-family farm in Greece and tastes great.

Two Good Brands I Found in April 2019:
TERRA Delyssa – Certified Organic EVOO, 100% Tunisian Certified Organic Extra Virgin – Meets and exceeds USDA and International “IOC” standards. Brought to you by the same farmers and millers that controlled the quality of Terra Delyssa from tree to bottle.

Venta del Baron Award Winning Cold Pressed EVOO – For four years running, Venta Del Baron took 1st place in the ranking at the World’s Best Olive Oils competition winner 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016!

Another very good Olive Oil:
Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil – It is made from organic olives and produced using organic farming standards. This oil was on our list of not being approved but we have now learned that was incorrect. Here is a statement from the company: “Our olive oil exceeds the rigorous and exacting standards of the International Olive Council (IOC) and European Union (EU). As proof, in 2017 alone, we achieved global recognition for the quality of our products, winning 4 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze awards at multiple prestigious international competitions.”

Consumer Reports (September 2012 issue), published results of a taste test of 138 bottles of extra virgin olive oil from 23 manufacturers. The oil was sourced from the US, Argentina, Greece, Chile, and Italy. They found that olive oil produced in California exceeded those from Italy.

Best Olive Oils From California
The most authentic olive oils in the US having the highest scores from their testing were both out of California:

McEvoy Ranch Organic
Trader Joe’s California Estate – been discontinued
Ellora Extra Virgin Olive Oil is very good. It is 100% Pure Cretan Extra Virgin Olive Oil of which the origin and authenticity is certified by the EU standards. While meeting the stringent requirements it maintains a focus on environmental consciousness and tradition. When you are ordering it online it comes in many sizes which can make shipping more economical.

Another I recently discovered that is certified:

Kasandrinos Organic Extra Virgin Greek Olive Oil – 100% certified organic, non-GMO from Kasandrinos century-old family orchard. Mechanical cold-pressing within 48 hours locks in the delicious flavor of the olives at the peak of ripeness.

And one more that is a very good olive oil brand having won medals:

Partanna Extra Virgin Olive Oil is cold-pressed oil, unfiltered oil grown and packaged in Partanna, Sicily. The Asaro family has been producing it since 1916. This EVOO has been the winner of Gold Medals at the L.A. County Fair.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
We use Dell' Alpe at home. I've never thought to be choosy about EVOO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Oil is oil.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
COOC, NAOOA, IOC and some other stamps are good. Check for a harvest date. Australian, Chile, and South Africa produce some really nice ones. We buy the California one the most for convenience but you can get some really good ones from home goods. I usually mix it with a little grape seed oil to extend the life and smoke point.

I like avocado oil but it can be expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:07 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Oil is oil.

Earl Keese wrote:
Use Wolf's Head Golden 30-weight. It'll never let you down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
We never used extra virgin when I was growing up. My mom used Fellipo Bario regular (dark gold can).

I use Whole Foods 100% California Unfiltered EVOO. It is fine for my level of cooking aptitude, and a large bottle lasts me almost a year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:11 pm 

Thanks for tips. Went with Bertolli extra virgin organic. Gonna have to try several. Also need to check if the Kirkland stuff I picked up was the same make/model mentioned in GJet's post. Just a shitton of options from each provider.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:27 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
When I lived in Chicago, I'd generally try to buy my olive oil from Italian grocery stores like Bari, Caputo's, Riviera, etc. Caputo's would frequently have good deals on very solid "cooking" (not necessarily for dipping) olive oils like Da Vinci.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 am 

beni hanna wrote:
Thanks for tips. Went with Bertolli extra virgin organic. Gonna have to try several. Also need to check if the Kirkland stuff I picked up was the same make/model mentioned in GJet's post. Just a shitton of options from each provider.

Regarding EVOO, many people make the mistake of cooking with it on high heat. EVOO will degrade at higher temps due to its low smoke point. It's really best for salads and low temp applications. If you're sauteing, it's better to use a refined olive oil (which looks more yellow than green) or something neutral like canola/grapeseed/avocado oil.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Grapeseed oil works great for searing and other higher-temp cooking. Very high smoke point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Tall Midget wrote:
Grapeseed oil works great for searing and other higher-temp cooking. Very high smoke point.

Only 400°...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
i have a very high smoke point

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
California Olive Ranch. Can be found in most supermarkets.

i use olive oil on salads + cook with it. California Olive Ranch or Lucini if you're going grocer's shelf stock for salads. The house brand usually is fine for cooking. If you can find a press their own olive oil store, it's like the white label single malts at Binny's. Too pricey/good for company, but worth treating yourself to on the regular.

Order some truffle salt off of amazon to sprinkle on your salads etc with the olive oil: https://www.amazon.com/Casina-Rossa-Tru ... B000E5SGI4

also, the olive oil stores will let you sample all the different varieties they sell. Bonus: usually h2d Mediterranean chicks slanging the goods.