It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Seems like lotta folks starting to cut down on beef, pork, chicken, fish in their daily diets. Notice the same with yourselves?

Health reasons?
Environmental concerns?
Morally wrong?
Expensive?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Nope

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:21 am 

wife and i been dabbling with vegan days. 3-4 days a week. mostly curious as to its ease and health benefits.

will never go full vegetarian or vegan but it's not too hard or unsatisfying. unexpected perk is grocery bill is cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Could never do vegan with no dairy.

We've cut down on red meat pretty drastically since the first of the year. Doing more stir fry and 'pulled' type meals to try and be a little healthier.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Yes. Had a veggie burger every day for lunch. Dropped 40 lbs. Cut out bread/pasta for the most part as well. Felt noticably better.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I've moved into more fish and chicken, and less beef and pork, but I rarely have a meal with no meat in it. I'm trying to lower my cholesterol, and to a lesser extent triglycerides.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Furious Styles wrote:
Yes. Had a veggie burger every day for lunch. Dropped 40 lbs. Cut out bread/pasta for the most part as well. Felt noticably better.

What kind of veggie burger do you like?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:37 am 
100000 CLUB

Franky T wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

What kind of veggie burger do you like?
Terry Schavio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Trying to because of morality. Especially birds--I am a bird person (we have eight of them), yet I eat chicken. I hate veggie dishes, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Morally wrong :lol:

I’ll go with Hatchet’s answer

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:59 am 

fuck that, I'm doubling down

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:01 am 

Nope. Notice how the animals we eat never go extinct. It would be inhumane to not eat them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I love how people thumb their nose at 200,000 years of evolution.

Any diet without meat is a shitty diet. It's just the way it is.

Every successful athlete that has gone vegan.....STOPS.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Good friend at work went vegan to reverse diabetes/high blood pressure issues, he lost over 100lbs, and got off all meds. I tried it last fall during our refueling outage, and only broke the plan twice. I didn't lose any significant weight in 90 days, or change any other significant parameters.I spoke recently to another coworker who did the opposite- due to allergies, he stopped eating almost all plant foods, and eats mostly meats. He has been able to lose a bunch of weight and feels significantly better. I guess it all depends on your body. I just cram too much down my pie hole.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:16 am 
100000 CLUB

K Effective wrote:
I just cram too much down my pie hole.
That's the crux of it. Done in moderation, nothing we eat is bad for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:18 am 

K Effective wrote:
Good friend at work went vegan to reverse diabetes/high blood pressure issues, he lost over 100lbs, and got off all meds. I tried it last fall during our refueling outage, and only broke the plan twice. I didn't lose any significant weight in 90 days, or change any other significant parameters.I spoke recently to another coworker who did the opposite- due to allergies, he stopped eating almost all plant foods, and eats mostly meats. He has been able to lose a bunch of weight and feels significantly better. I guess it all depends on your body. I just cram too much down my pie hole.

Pretty much all weight loss comes from simply eating less. Going vegan makes it much harder to eat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:22 am 

Eating animals is barbaric--if there are alternative sources of meat. I wish they'd make more progress on growing meat.

Again, if I could do the veggie thing, I would. I just can't stand the effing taste of that stuff. My palate is really limited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:23 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
K Effective wrote:

Pretty much all weight loss comes from simply eating less. Going vegan makes it much harder to eat.

Do those people who are obese get fat because of meat or because of the garbage food (and the quantities thereof) they eat? I'm literally asking, not being a smart ass.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: What??
tommy wrote:
Eating animals is barbaric--if there are alternative sources of meat. I wish they'd make more progress on growing meat.

Again, if I could do the veggie thing, I would. I just can't stand the effing taste of that stuff. My palate is really limited.

Correct. So is taking over the entire world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:26 am 
100000 CLUB

I think people that are crazy obese- like have to use a scooter to get around obese- get that way from eating a lot obviously, but also a ton of calories that they consume with pop and juice. If they have 5-6 glasses/cans of pop per day, which isn't out of the norm for some people, it easily can be close to 1000 calories.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 am 

Nardi wrote:
tommy wrote:

Correct. So is taking over the entire world.

Didn't think the day would come when I would have to put my guy Nardi on my list....Cool--there's a little room just after "Nas."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:29 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think people that are crazy obese- like have to use a scooter to get around obese- get that way from eating a lot obviously, but also a ton of calories that they consume with pop and juice. If they have 5-6 glasses/cans of pop per day, which isn't out of the norm for some people, it easily can be close to 1000 calories.

Gotcha.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:32 am 

tommy wrote:
Do those people who are obese get fat because of meat or because of the garbage food (and the quantities thereof) they eat? I'm literally asking, not being a smart ass.

a recent example that might be anecdotal evidence to your question was we had vegan enchiladas this week. spinach, beans, sweet potatoes, vegan wrap, red sauce and jalapeno/avocado drizzle.

compare to standard enchilada where it's meat, beans and shit ton of cheese. both are tasty and filling but in different ways and different caloric impact.

vegan days help control my cravings for awesome but unhealthy snacks. i'm a sucker for cheese, crackers and lunch meat.

also, never dabbled much in lentils and barley. now incorporating them into a lot of meals and they're good stuff.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:33 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I couldnt imagine drinking 5-6 cans of coke a day. That sounds awful

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
...grow meat? What?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:36 am 
100000 CLUB

I can grow my meat.

Agree, FF. I can eat like a tank. I'm a bigger guy, but I can't do those sugary drinks. I have like half a glass of orange juice on the weekends with breakfast, and even that is too much sometimes. There are people that do it though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
tommy wrote:

a recent example that might be anecdotal evidence to your question was we had vegan enchiladas this week. spinach, beans, sweet potatoes, vegan wrap, red sauce and jalapeno/avocado drizzle.

compare to standard enchilada where it's meat, beans and shit ton of cheese. both are tasty and filling but in different ways and different caloric impact.

vegan days help control my cravings for awesome but unhealthy snacks. i'm a sucker for cheese, crackers and lunch meat.

also, never dabbled much in lentils and barley. now incorporating them into a lot of meals and they're good stuff.

Oh, ok. So if you slop on the extra stuff, it can get you fat, but the vegan meals control your cravings for snacks.

Interesting. I have a real problem with sugar cravings and sometimes eat four packs of fruit snacks for kids. I can't stand being hooked on processed sugar, but I don't drink pop, so I guess I need to get my fix elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:38 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

At my peak I was drinking a 2 liter a day of Diet Coke.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:41 am 

IMU wrote:
...grow meat? What?

You know, lab-grown meat. It would probably help the environment, too, but it would put cowboys out of work, and since a lot of them are white--well, perhaps I've said too much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

At my peak I was drinking a 2 liter a day of Diet Coke.

That's more hardcore than anything I've ever done. My cocaine habit 5 years ago was probably healthier.

To rock my soul