It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Smothered pork chops...picy sauteed cabbage and pork chop is awesome when cooked correctly. Cabbage has to be cooked, yet holding it's form, with plenty of onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Add some vinegar and Olive oil and it's good eating...once a quarter. Heart issues over here.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Yeah, I went simple yesterday. I buy the 5 pound Premio sweet Italian Sausage from either Costco or Sam's. Comes in 4 packs of 5, I separate the four packs and freeze them.

I bake one defrosted pack to 165 and then add frozen sliced peppers, frozen previously sauteed onions, and a quarter jar of spaghetti sauce and bake for 10 more minutes. I can get three lunches out of that with a baguette or some sourdough (we don't have Gonnella or Turano down here) and some sort of vegetable or fruit.

My next endeavor is to emulate the Totinos pizza rolls, but deconstructed and with better ingredients.

I'm down 23 pounds since late January, even with eating dessert 5 days a week.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:37 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
beni hanna wrote:
[ It's hard to make every meal a knock it out the park experience. I got burned out trying. The old lady can be a persnickety eater. Easy, simpler, tasty grub is needed.

This is a very good but pretty simple pasta/sausage/tomato cream sauce that can be made in 45-60 minutes, depending on how thick you want the sauce:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/farfalle-with-sausage-tomatoes-and-cream-233707

I usually double or triple the recipe to ensure leftovers. My wife loves it.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:33 pm 

I made a great ham and broccoli quiche. No one ate it.

I made a chocolate cream pie. No one ate it.

Forget these people.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Took some chili out of the freezer a couple nights ago...just had some for lunch.

Good shit.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Took some chili out of the freezer a couple nights ago...just had some for lunch.

Good shit.

Was the hershey kiss also frozen, or did you put a fresh one on?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Good shit.

Was the hershey kiss also frozen, or did you put a fresh one on?

Out of Kisses, used a Reese's.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 pm 

I learned tonight that a really simple and tasty sauce for already cooked jasmine rice is 2 parts Kerrygold butter, 1 part bottled cocktail sauce, juice of 1/4 a lemon, a pinch of salt, and a tsp of Penzey's chicken/fish Jerk spice mix (garlic, ancho, brown sugar, paprika, allspice). I had sauteed up some 60ct shrimp in the butter and lemon, and took them out and added the other ingredients. Next time, I would add a few drops of Crystal or Tabasco.

I've recently found Jacques Pepin's video feed on FB. Dude is 84 and he has slowed down physically, but he's still the most practical guy out there when it comes to simple cooking. I have a couple of his books in a crate in the garage, I have to dig them out. He does mostly stuff on top of the stove and occasionally in the oven, one product placement a video (last time was using straight Morton Salt instead of fancy shit), and most of the videos are 5-6 minutes.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Plugra butter is amazing if you can find it and afford it. If butter is the star use it.

Alton Brown has been doing stay at home videos with product recommendations. Pretty interesting what chefs use.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
My favorite cooking vids during the lockdown have been by Kenji Lopez-Alt, who used to work for America's Test Kitchen and runs Serious Eats as well as a restaurant called Wursthall. He's been doing short videos at home using a GoPro on his head, and they've been mostly excellent. I've learned a ton. Here's one I liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb7d4u5JpBw&t=30s

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
ATK is great. I've always wanted to go up to Kohler for the food and wine festival. They are usually featured.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Little bourbon tonight as I grill the kids and wife some hamburgers and a nice lamb burger for myself.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:45 pm 

Burgers, Gulf caught tuna from a friend, shrimp on the barbie.

Cauliflower tots in the air fryer.

Homemade margaritas.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull.

Kids not fighting.

Dogs not barking.

Brilliant!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Reeibs & a beer can chicken on the smoker yesterday....glorious

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:37 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I added giardiniera relish to the Monte Cristo by putting it between the bread and the Swiss. I call it a Dat Monnycrista Guy. Little blueberry jam on the side. Couldn't find a place to work a Hershey's Kiss in.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:44 pm 

70s divorced guy meal yesterday - got a Pepperidge Farm frozen cheesy garlic bread in my grocery delivery on Monday, heated it up yesterday and used half of it to make a nice little sub with three kinds of deli meat, some onions and roasted peppers, and some oil and Catalina dressing.

It's not Gonnella or Turano, but it hit the spot. The rest of the bread will be consumed with pasta tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:15 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
70s divorced guy meal yesterday - got a Pepperidge Farm frozen cheesy garlic bread in my grocery delivery on Monday, heated it up yesterday and used half of it to make a nice little sub with three kinds of deli meat, some onions and roasted peppers, and some oil and Catalina dressing.

It's not Gonnella or Turano, but it hit the spot. The rest of the bread will be consumed with pasta tomorrow.

Might want to keep that to yourself.

I'm just sayin'...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:07 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

Might want to keep that to yourself.

I'm just sayin'...

Like I said, it was a divorced guy vibe, with a hint of poor graduate student. The grocery delivery I'm getting because I'm still not supposed to wander through grocery stores bigger than an Aldi due to COVID.

Next time, I will find real Italian bread and make my own.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
wife made Swedish meatballs with lingonberries. Damn was that good. Almost as good as Tre Kroner. Heck, the meatballs themself might've been better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:09 am 

Baby goat rib chops from a local farm, with a glaze of olive oil, honey, lemon juice, garlic, tumeric, ginger, paprika, salt, and pepper. Baked them and then finished them for two minutes in a very hot frying pan. I baked them about 5 minutes too long but they were still excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Roasted a pork tenderloin in my cast iron yesterday. Just some roasted garlic rub. Made au gratin potatoes from scratch. Steamed some green beans.

Burgers on the grill tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Did an Instapot chicken thing I found on the internet last night
7 ingredients including the meat. prep time 3 min. cook time 15 min. very greay flavor tender and juicy. Next time I will make the gravy as I didd not have stock or corn starch on hand.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:40 pm 

Hey ChetCoat, I've been making "Greek" chicken thighs with a Greek yogurt/lemon juice marinade + Italian seasoning, onion powder, mint, and crushed coriander seeds. Do you have a better way?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Hey ChetCoat, I've been making "Greek" chicken thighs with a Greek yogurt/lemon juice marinade + Italian seasoning, onion powder, mint, and crushed coriander seeds. Do you have a better way?

I'm going to make some later this week, but it's been years. I think the yogurt is a good idea if you keep the quantity down. My mom and my aunts would go more traditional - more oil in the marinade, no mint but more thyme. Definitely garlic. Maybe dice some root vegetables or zucchini to roast and soak up the oil.

When I've made it, I've typically seared the tops of the thighs first and then put the metal pan into the oven. It's messy as hell, which is why it's been a few years. I use Jacques Pepin's recipe from his series with Julia Child as a base, but I have no idea which box has that book in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:56 pm 

Yeah, I use olive oil and garlic, definitely, forgot to make a note of that. I probably do go a little too heavy on the yogurt, but it really goes a long way in getting the meat super-tender, and it's the first time I've ever liked Greek yogurt in anything. The zucchini is a great idea, I've been making it with Jerusalem salad and roasted potatoes on the side, but the zucchini would be a good change of pace.

You'd think I'd be able to find a Greek seasoning blend around here but I can't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7