It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
There are a lot of problems with modern pork that I could go on and on about but probably summed up with efficiency of gain does not equal quality.

Go on and on.

I'm interested.

In the late 70's and early 80's the war on fat in meat commenced. Pork positioned themselves as the other white meat and bred all of the fat out of pork over time. At the same time pork production moved from small, outdoor production to centralized commercial breeding using line breeding and hybrids that can basically only survive in confinement situations. Hook space at processing plants became dominated by cooperate owned farms and the independent producer is now virtually extinct. When they bred the fat out and pushed pork as a chicken replacement people had a hard time cooking it. Lean meat is hard to cook, especially of you cook it to well done. It dries out and gets tough. Enter the injection of saline to pork.Buy your pork from an independent producer and you will see three things if they do it right. Actual marbling in the meat. An actual rind of fat on the carcass vs almost no fat on commercial animals. Fat=flavor.A completely different texture of the meat. By being outside the meat will have a firmness that doesn't exist in Tyson and Smithfield pork. If you can get Berkshire or Chesterwhite you have a good start. A breed like Red Wattle will be heavy fat but damn good. Even better if they take the hog to over 300 pounds.

Interesting. My brother and I try to split a hog each year more like 200 lbs. It is much better because you can see the fat and marbling - makes a huge difference in the sausages.

We get sausage patties that we cook like burgers and are fantastic. I didn't know that history.

I was preoccupied telling my Father I never want to be a farmer.

I was a wonderful son.

we are 2 years into raising our own hogs. our first year were berkshire hogs and this year they were berk/IPP Red wattle hogs.

The difference is pretty tremendous. Last year we took ours to 235 (hanging 165) and while it was fine, I felt we should of taken them further. this year we went to 300 (hanging 210) and while the flavor or whatever hasn't been different the size of everything has been more optimal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:47 pm 

I got greedy and overloaded the smoker but the smoked cream cheese worked really well even if it was too hot so the very bottom was a little bit charred.

I highly recommend it. Just don't put it over the direct heat like I did on the edge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i'm pretty easy on my turkey. 24 hr salt/brown sugar brine, cut up lemons and oranges. air dry overnight in fridge. no spatchcock butter skin, salt, garlic powder and pepper. ice breasts for an hour, then into the smoker at 300 for about 4 hours or until breasts are 165. baste with butter, rosemary, thyme, and parsley.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
hnd wrote:
i'm pretty easy on my turkey. 24 hr salt/brown sugar brine, cut up lemons and oranges. air dry overnight in fridge. no spatchcock butter skin, salt, garlic powder and pepper. ice breasts for an hour, then into the smoker at 300 for about 4 hours or until breasts are 165. baste with butter, rosemary, thyme, and parsley.

what are the proportions on that brine ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Do you use a honey glaze?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Sunday post-Thanksgiving I picked up Turkey as they were marked down to $.79 / lb.

Smokey Mountain + Oil + seasonings + apple wood. 8 hours later we had delicious turkey to eat for the next 2 days.

I'll take this over oven-roasted any day.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Time to make another batch of stuffing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:31 am 
100000 CLUB

PSA; Frozen Turkey is $0.55 LB at Meijer thru Saturday, no minimum purchase required.

I did see da Jewel's had them at $0.29 LB, but you could only get that with (I think) a $100 purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:59 am 

It's going to be nice to be able to have Thanksgiving indoors this year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
After re-reading the first page of this thread, I'm now convinced that Tall Midget is actually that Barefoot Contessa chick on the Food Network. Or Martha Stewart.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Think I might do two turkey breasts this year, one in the oven and one on the smoker.

Trying to really focus on the gravy this year. My latest variation is stock + fond strained and then added to roux, with thyme, whole grain mustard, soy sauce, and garlic. There are so many variations possible, I'd like to have at least one surefire recipe mastered. Also experimenting with doing the roux in advance so I'm not juggling as many tasks at the last minute.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
With windows closed and fans off!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:21 pm 

Brick wrote:

He would like a word with you please.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:28 pm 

I'm kinda curious to see what Jewels charges for rib roasts this year. I wouldn't mind a smoking comeback with a small three bone roast cooked for a few hours with plenty of horseradish sauce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
I'm kinda curious to see what Jewels charges for rib roasts this year. I wouldn't mind a smoking comeback with a small three bone roast cooked for a few hours with plenty of horseradish sauce

Find a butcher. the meat in grocery stores is far less in quality.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:05 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly about good butchers, but to find one on the South Side is virtually impossible. So you have to adapt, improvise, overcome. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:18 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly about good butchers, but to find one on the South Side is virtually impossible. So you have to adapt, improvise, overcome. :)

County Fair in Beverly has a great meat department

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:21 am 

Bagels wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

County Fair in Beverly has a great meat department

It always looked a bit worn down to me, but I'll try it, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:23 am 
100000 CLUB

It is worn down. They've been there for like 70 years :lol:

Jack & Pats in Chicago Ridge and Wittinghams off 127th & Pulaski also can be good options.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:43 am 

worn down ? I'd rather shop there any day than Mariano's or some trash like that

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Bagels wrote:
worn down ? I'd rather shop there any day than Mariano's or some trash like that

I get the creeps in Amazon fresh stores.

We have a few really great small grocery stores. I forget how far south you are. There are Brookhavens in Darien, Burr Ridge and Mokena. The one in Burr Ridge is fantastic, Darien okay to was a little gross, I'm not sure about Mokena but might be worth the trip.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Doing a separate turkey this year just to make stuffing in it since I'm convinced that there is no such thing as a good stuffing made outside the bird. Gonna do that first and then use the turkey for gravy stock.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:57 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Bagels wrote:

I get the creeps in Amazon fresh stores.

We have a few really great small grocery stores. I forget how far south you are. There are Brookhavens in Darien, Burr Ridge and Mokena. The one in Burr Ridge is fantastic, Darien okay to was a little gross, I'm not sure about Mokena but might be worth the trip.

my mom like the Amazon store. There's one in Oak Lawn
i agree it is creepy
there's more Amazon people shopping in there than actual people

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Frozen jenno o turkeys are 59 cents a lb at jewel.. I grabbed 2 yesterday 7$ each.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5