It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Fried turkey is the bomb, as the 35-year old kids say.

I don't know what real kids say now. Mine don't talk to me. They just call me stupid and nerdy.

Fried turkey is really so easy and relatively cheap for the amount of food. Pulled pork is the only easier and more prolific amounts of meat.

As a 35 year old that first sentence hurts.

We’re both getting old

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
I said it was irrational.. I just got really tired of people I know who would extol the benefits of them and then I'd eat their creations and they would be tasteless mushy crap. But everything they cook fits that description. So, in my experience its rational but I know its really the allergy to flavor that these people have.

It's not really irrational. Some good some bad. I'm horrible with crockpots and instapots. Other people serve me stuff and I think it's fine. Nothing turns out for me. I can see myself getting an air fryer and saying frozen food what?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:15 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I don't know what real kids say now. Mine don't talk to me. They just call me stupid and nerdy.

Fried turkey is really so easy and relatively cheap for the amount of food. Pulled pork is the only easier and more prolific amounts of meat.

Pulled pork Tastes better too.

Never had it. Probably never will since I rarely eat pork now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:17 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
I said it was irrational.. I just got really tired of people I know who would extol the benefits of them and then I'd eat their creations and they would be tasteless mushy crap. But everything they cook fits that description. So, in my experience its rational but I know its really the allergy to flavor that these people have.

It's not really irrational. Some good some bad. I'm horrible with crockpots and instapots. Other people serve me stuff and I think it's fine. Nothing turns out for me. I can see myself getting an air fryer and saying frozen food what?

Well we know you've had problems plugging them in. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

There are a lot of problems with modern pork that I could go on and on about but probably summed up with efficiency of gain does not equal quality.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
I'm deep-frying 3 turkeys that I bought last week and nobody can come to our house due to COVID exposure.

LIVING RIGHT!!!

Deep fry as needed. Left over deep fried turkey is inedible. I would rather eat charcoal. It only takes a little while to fry them so keep the oil hot all weekend if you need to. The turkey right out of the oil is awesome though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:22 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
There are a lot of problems with modern pork that I could go on and on about but probably summed up with efficiency of gain does not equal quality.

Go on and on.

I'm interested.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:23 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I'm actually surprised that it took this long after watching a hog get killed, bled and butchered at a family event down south.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
me too!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:25 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
The Man wrote:
Left over deep fried turkey is inedible.

How? It's got all that peanut oil flavor in it.

Low and slow reheat with some moisture. It's quite good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:27 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

They are simple enough for meals with multiple ingredients that take time to cook. I find everyting comes out soft and mushy but the taste is fine. We use our maybe twice a year now when my wife decides she wants pot roast and the holidays when we make the meatbalss, chilli sauce and jelly recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:29 pm 

The Man wrote:

That shit pretty much turns to dust an hour after coming out of the oil. Reheating doesnt usually make meat more moist. I dont care how you heat it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:29 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Go on and on.

I'm interested.

In the late 70's and early 80's the war on fat in meat commenced. Pork positioned themselves as the other white meat and bred all of the fat out of pork over time. At the same time pork production moved from small, outdoor production to centralized commercial breeding using line breeding and hybrids that can basically only survive in confinement situations. Hook space at processing plants became dominated by cooperate owned farms and the independent producer is now virtually extinct. When they bred the fat out and pushed pork as a chicken replacement people had a hard time cooking it. Lean meat is hard to cook, especially of you cook it to well done. It dries out and gets tough. Enter the injection of saline to pork.Buy your pork from an independent producer and you will see three things if they do it right. Actual marbling in the meat. An actual rind of fat on the carcass vs almost no fat on commercial animals. Fat=flavor.A completely different texture of the meat. By being outside the meat will have a firmness that doesn't exist in Tyson and Smithfield pork. If you can get Berkshire or Chesterwhite you have a good start. A breed like Red Wattle will be heavy fat but damn good. Even better if they take the hog to over 300 pounds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:36 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I'm actually surprised that it took this long after watching a hog get killed, bled and butchered at a family event down south.

That's a different aversion reason and I'd never blame anyone for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:38 pm 

The Man wrote:
The Man wrote:

That shit pretty much turns to dust an hour after coming out of the oil. Reheating doesnt usually make meat more moist. I dont care how you heat it.

It's not as good but it sounds like the original fried turkey is over-cooked/fried. It should be very juicy even as a leftover.

OK, I'll back off on very but somewhat. That's why it is so good. Oven turkey bakes it out to dry-ness right off the bat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:41 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Go on and on.

I'm interested.

In the late 70's and early 80's the war on fat in meat commenced. Pork positioned themselves as the other white meat and bred all of the fat out of pork over time. At the same time pork production moved from small, outdoor production to centralized commercial breeding using line breeding and hybrids that can basically only survive in confinement situations. Hook space at processing plants became dominated by cooperate owned farms and the independent producer is now virtually extinct. When they bred the fat out and pushed pork as a chicken replacement people had a hard time cooking it. Lean meat is hard to cook, especially of you cook it to well done. It dries out and gets tough. Enter the injection of saline to pork.Buy your pork from an independent producer and you will see three things if they do it right. Actual marbling in the meat. An actual rind of fat on the carcass vs almost no fat on commercial animals. Fat=flavor.A completely different texture of the meat. By being outside the meat will have a firmness that doesn't exist in Tyson and Smithfield pork. If you can get Berkshire or Chesterwhite you have a good start. A breed like Red Wattle will be heavy fat but damn good. Even better if they take the hog to over 300 pounds.

I remember reading about this 25-30 years ago. Before Food Network got a foothold.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:41 pm 

The Man wrote:
The Man wrote:

It's not as good but it sounds like the original fried turkey is over-cooked/fried. It should be very juicy even as a leftover.

OK, I'll back off on very but somewhat. That's why it is so good. Oven turkey bakes it out to dry-ness right off the bat.

That is why I spatchcock every turkey I bake or smoke. You can actually cook if evenly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
The Man wrote:
The Man wrote:
The Man wrote:

That is why I spatchcock every turkey I bake or smoke. You can actually cook if evenly.

I want to give that a try.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Go on and on.

I'm interested.

Interesting. My brother and I try to split a hog each year more like 200 lbs. It is much better because you can see the fat and marbling - makes a huge difference in the sausages.

We get sausage patties that we cook like burgers and are fantastic. I didn't know that history.

I was preoccupied telling my Father I never want to be a farmer.

I was a wonderful son.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:48 pm 

The Man wrote:

I've done chicken, never a turkey.

What size turkey are you using? Seems like way more variables with regard to size and thickness.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:50 pm 

The Man wrote:

What size turkey are you using? Seems like way more variables with regard to size and thickness.

One day I'll have to give a natural/organic turkey a try I guess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:51 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Man wrote:

Don't you owe me a gumbo recipe?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:54 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Man wrote:

Can help you when you want one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:55 pm 

Man, I could totally go for a Cajun Thanksgiving.

My half-Irish/half-Filipino family has come around to this full-Irish guy's love of Cajun food. It's just hard to find and crazy-hard to cook.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:06 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
The Man wrote:

Don't you owe me a gumbo recipe?

I haven't made it in 2 1/2 years. Got offered a substantial amount to make it for a couple restaurants though. I'll give you an ingredients list though. You'd be only the second person who's seen it though. And the first didn't try to copy it until she and her girlfriends were on their third bowls though.

And it's been a pain in the ass since Treasure Island closed. The andouille I needed had to be brought in from Thibodaux Louisiana.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:09 am 

Interesting. My brother and I try to split a hog each year more like 200 lbs. It is much better because you can see the fat and marbling - makes a huge difference in the sausages.

We get sausage patties that we cook like burgers and are fantastic. I didn't know that history.

I was a wonderful son.

Eh... most farmers I talk to are realists about farm life and the prospect of kids wanting to stay. They either do or they don't it seams and better to stay because you want to than stay because of obligation.

200 hanging or 200 live weight? I've talked about this a bit with my neighbor who is still an old fashioned farrow to finish outside hog producer. Good guy. He has told me they have started paying a premium for a little more fat so hopefully they will get better. I'll probably talk myself into feeding out a few next year against my better judgement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:11 am 

RR -

I would sign an NDA.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:16 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I was a wonderful son.

Eh... most farmers I talk to are realists about farm life and the prospect of kids wanting to stay. They either do or they don't it seams and better to stay because you want to than stay because of obligation.

200 hanging or 200 live weight? I've talked about this a bit with my neighbor who is still an old fashioned farrow to finish outside hog producer. Good guy. He has told me they have started paying a premium for a little more fat so hopefully they will get better. I'll probably talk myself into feeding out a few next year against my better judgement.

My Mom told me to go be a lawyer.

I think you're right now that I think about it. It was 300 lbs. we split to get 150 gross/per.

It wasn't a whole lot. Only cost about $200/per I think last time we did it and only fill up a bit of the freezer.

I thought it was a very cheap way to get great pork.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:42 am 

RR -

I would sign an NDA.

Can you make at least a brick red roux?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:49 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
RR -

I would sign an NDA.

Can you make at least a brick red roux?

I think so. Patience. I have it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next