It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I'm always on the lookout for the chewable ice machines...the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
We hosted the post-rehearsal dinner tonight, at my favorite sports bar/smokehouse restaurant. We had 26 or 27 people, the place presented a cut-down menu to order from that said "soft drinks provided, cash bar available". I told the kids I was paying the whole tab until we left, knowing my wife would be asleep by about eight after her first week of school and one margarita.

They gave me a bill for $750, which included a 20% gratuity, not out of line for a group that size, I thought.

Turned out our main server is the grandson of my big-farmer buddy. I didn't know he was working there, but last time we baled hay he was here to help load wagons. I tossed an extra $50 to him in the bill book, he was hustling. JORR thinks I just jinxed the poor kid with that Grant...

The brewery that is hosting the reception tomorrow night, added a 20% gratuity to the $37/person bar bill, then made sure we were allowing a tip jar on the bar. The FAQ they sent along encouraged another tip for the bar tenders from us at the end of the night. From a clarifying email, they said they would add a tip of $1 per person (156 rsvp) per bartender if we wanted the tip jar to be gone. I calculated the three tenders would be making $70/hour, not bad for a part-time gig!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
K Effective wrote:

The brewery that is hosting the reception tomorrow night, added a 20% gratuity to the $37/person bar bill, then made sure we were allowing a tip jar on the bar. The FAQ they sent along encouraged another tip for the bar tenders from us at the end of the night. From a clarifying email, they said they would add a tip of $1 per person (156 rsvp) per bartender if we wanted the tip jar to be gone. I calculated the three tenders would be making $70/hour, not bad for a part-time gig!

Are you ok with this?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
K Effective wrote:

If they don't get any of the $37, and only the tips, I calc it at 434.80 each (without the tip jar). Seems high.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I played golf today, and at the cart return they had a tip jar.

What is going on here?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:50 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I played golf today, and at the cart return they had a tip jar.

What is going on here?

I could see it if they cleaned your club heads. But that does not seem to be the case.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:12 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Look at the alligator arms in here...

Be more like this:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Bagels wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Here's another one. Believe it or not, there is a dearth of decent hot dog stands in certain North side neighborhoods. Well, a good stand is on Elston south of Irving. I'm not even sure what the hell it's called- J&J or J&B or something- but they serve a proper hot dog. And a big plus for me, they serve pop in cans. I used to go there all the time.

It's run by an Asian guy and his Hispanic wife. It's a two or three person operation so I don't want to hear the "We can't find help" bullshit. No, this guy is using COVID as an excuse to chop down his hours and run his business in a half-assed manner. Suddenly you're closing at 6:30 and sometimes not opening at all? I'm not going to drive a half mile south out of my way only to discover you decided not to open today because "WE'RE IN A PANDEMIC!" I'll hit the taco joint that's on my way home. They don't have any stupid rules and they manage to keep regular hours despite being IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC!

wait, it's a plus for you that they serve pop in cans ? why would you prefer that to fountain pop ?

its like whenever my Dad gets a beer out he'll order a bottle of Miller Lite. Even if the place has draft. Why ???

Consistency.

I guess, there are some places with crappy fountain service for sure . But i'll take the risk. I also like a lot of ice in my pop , can gets warm too quick for me

Sanitation is the other reason too. The lines can get disgusting, especially draft beer lines. I had a few friends who work for Guinness and the Guinness people demand special lines and inspect if they are clean. Bacetria and mold can be in those lines so drinking a can or bottle is safer. Now me personally, I was never afraid of it but it absolutely is a concern.

With fountain drinks if you find someone who mixers them well they are golden and better than canned any day IMHO. White Castle has an excellent Coke for instance. I don't often get fountain
drinks (I'm an Iced Tea guy) so I will not be a good resource on who has the best drinks. In fact my recollection of White Castle may be skewed as it is unlikely I was sober when I had it, but I have heard other people rave about it so I feel confident in that one assessment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:17 pm 

Spent a few days at a hotel on the lake. Since COVID they no longer service room each day. Called front desk asking if we could get the trash taken out and some more towels. They said they had no one to come get trash and that we could take it out to dumpster. Had to practically beg to get some extra towels. Yet that last morning they got someone who can leave a gratuity envelope at our door so we can provide something for the cleaning staff.

What the fuck is this shit? Can’t get the trash taken out or an extra towel but they want a nice tip?

Get the hell out of here

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:10 am 

RFDC wrote:
Spent a few days at a hotel on the lake. Since COVID they no longer service room each day. Called front desk asking if we could get the trash taken out and some more towels. They said they had no one to come get trash and that we could take it out to dumpster. Had to practically beg to get some extra towels. Yet that last morning they got someone who can leave a gratuity envelope at our door so we can provide something for the cleaning staff.

What the fuck is this shit? Can’t get the trash taken out or an extra towel but they want a nice tip?

Get the hell out of here

That's pretty much BS. I get the reduced service due to COVID but they should still get trash and refresh towels. When I travel I don't need them doing everything in the room, but at a minimum I want fresh towels and trash dumped. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:13 am 

RFDC wrote:

Get the hell out of here

and, no reduction in the charge for a room while providing less service. It's like the hotel industry learned something from the banking industry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
White Castle has an excellent Coke for instance. I don't often get fountain
drinks (I'm an Iced Tea guy) so I will not be a good resource on who has the best drinks. In fact my recollection of White Castle may be skewed as it is unlikely I was sober when I had it, but I have heard other people rave about it so I feel confident in that one assessment.

I agree they have good Coke...seems like theirs has a hint of vanilla.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:49 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Get the hell out of here

That's pretty much BS. I get the reduced service due to COVID but they should still get trash and refresh towels. When I travel I don't need them doing everything in the room, but at a minimum I want fresh towels and trash dumped. Ridiculous.

Yeah I don’t mind the room not being completely serviced but if the trash isn’t taken out or we can’t get some fresh towels then they can go fuck themselves when it comes to a tip.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
RFDC wrote:

Get the hell out of here

Same with our family. Stayed in a hotel for 4-5 nights. Saw a sign that said they didn't do house cleaning unless you called for it. Put the trash outside the door every morning. Went to do something for the day, came back around 2pm, and the trash wasn't taken. Had to call the front desk for them to take it. Same with the towels. On Hilton's website, it asks how many people are staying in the room, I clicked (4). Every time they gave us towels, it was (3)....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:44 am 

RFDC wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Get the hell out of here

Yeah I don’t mind the room not being completely serviced but if the trash isn’t taken out or we can’t get some fresh towels then they can go fuck themselves when it comes to a tip.

Yep. In comparison, in Mexico they work for pennies and make sure to do everything everyday and work hard at it. Just sad whats happening now a days with service. (And not that costs are going down by having less staff)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

I always tip on uber. I even tipped back when Uber didn't have in-app tipping and discouraged passengers tipping. Throw a few bucks to a five for gas on the front seat. Uber was crazy cheap back then. Like you could go downtown from Irving Park for 8 dollars or something insanely cheap. Driving and parking downtown cost way, way more regardless. I haven't cash-tipped since they added the in-app tipping tho. Maybe should tho. Drivers would probably prefer getting cash over the in-app card tip.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Get the hell out of here

Yep. In comparison, in Mexico they work for pennies and make sure to do everything everyday and work hard at it. Just sad whats happening now a days with service. (And not that costs are going down by having less staff)
Agree 100%.

I've set the trash outside the door and then the hotel can do whatever they want with it. Even that is BS thought as it creates a mess or invites pests if its outdoors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
I'd tip Flapjacks bigtime when he's delivering the za.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

Good to see you will go after how people make their living under this name too, Bob. If nothing else, you're consistently a worthless imbecile.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Hussra wrote:

I always tip on uber. I even tipped back when Uber didn't have in-app tipping and discouraged passengers tipping. Throw a few bucks to a five for gas on the front seat. Uber was crazy cheap back then. Like you could go downtown from Irving Park for 8 dollars or something insanely cheap. Driving and parking downtown cost way, way more regardless. I haven't cash-tipped since they added the in-app tipping tho. Maybe should tho. Drivers would probably prefer getting cash over the in-app card tip.

i rarely use it nowadays
couple weekends ago i was a street fest in Lincoln Square and forgot where i parked when i left. Being it was 11:30 or so I opted to get an Uber to drive me around to find it rather than wandering aimlessly. Found it pretty quickly so the ride was only like 7$ or something, but i was laughing at the receipt as there was like 6 different fees/taxes on it. I guess i put my home address in as the end point and the chick was disappointed i wasn't actually going there- i didn't realize there was a surge so had I gone all the way to my house i would have been looking at a 70-80$ ride
Also i fixed the 'parked car' app on my phone, that was the first thing i turned to and it showed me as being at work in Plainfield :lol:
i guess it relies on a bluetooth connection to the car which i had off

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
but yea i always tip, at least something
and the times i have used it to go from my place to the city or vice versa, i usually tip 10 bc i know that's (usually ) a shitty ride for them .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
the VCs who were subsidizing Uber rides 2009 til ~2013 or so are cashing in now on inflated rates for Uber rides. Took a few ubers down in Nashville, which has the highest uber rates in the country next to NYC, and pretty much getting in an Uber meant a minimum 10 dollar charge for the ride (plus tip if you're a one percenter who tips). Any distance you're over twenty dollars and it wasn't difficult to hit 40 or 50 dollars for a cross-town ride, even without surge pricing. Couldn't imagine what they charge down there for surge pricing.

Grubhub equally nuts. Every delivery on grubhub you get a 4.95 service charge, a 2 to 5 dollar or more delivery charge and then tip on top of that. e.g., a 23 dollar grubhub meal you're paying 12 dollars more in fees and tip.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8