It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:55 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
With Covid, there are services like doordash where you can tip on the app.

But there are other places where they don't do delivery and you have to pickup.

For those places where you have to drive and pickup, do you tip? I mean it's not like your sitting down and they're serving you.

What is the social norm these days on picking up food and tipping?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
HawaiiYou wrote:

For those places where you have to drive and pickup, do you tip? I mean it's not like your sitting down and they're serving you.

These days you should always over-tip if only to support the staff and help keep the rest in business.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
As a former busboy/waiter/valet/bartender, I do not tip on carryout. I tip the waitstaff and bartenders well when I sit down and am served.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:19 pm 

DAC wrote:
As a former busboy/waiter/valet/bartender, I do not tip on carryout. I tip the waitstaff and bartenders well when I sit down and am served.

You don’t think it’s different now?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:40 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

These days you should always over-tip if only to support the staff and help keep the rest in business.

This.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:50 am 

DAC wrote:

Cough up a buck you cheap bastard.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:26 am 

DAC wrote:

yes that is what I generally follow too. But i was in line for a food pickup and noticed people in front of me were tipping. usually if i pick up I put 'pick up' in the tip line so they know.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:28 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

why? people are hurting too/ everyone is hurting. That $5 tip goes a long way when you're on a fixed income or god forbid you lost your livelihood due to this pandemic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:16 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I usually tip $5 on pickup.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Prior to COVID I might tip a buck or two for carryout, maybe a little more depending on the place and how extensive the order was. During the pandemic I tip for carryout just like I was sitting in the restaurant, 20-25%, and on occasion I've given more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:10 am 

Douchebag wrote:
DAC wrote:

Cough up a buck you cheap bastard.

Fuck off!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:26 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
When they were delivering food out to the car I would give them a couple of bucks but when I place the order, physically drive to pick up and go into the store to carry the food out I don't give a tip for someone handing me food.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:29 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
DAC wrote:

But is it even having the desired effect? So I tip the people giving me my food and ringing up my order at the Chinese or pizza place more when I pick up my food? Those are not people whose income is determined by tips. They get their hourly wage. I don't know why it has become fashionable or some sign of being generous to tip those workers over the last 20 years. I worked behind a counter before handing out takeout orders and ringing up orders and we rarely received tips- maybe on really large orders. But our hourly wage was considerably more than when we waited tables or tended bar where tips were the norm. If there was some way to tip the laid off wait staff and bartenders, I would. We have upped our frequency of getting takeout since the pandemic hit in an effort to help local restaurant owners.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:29 am 

DAC wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
DAC wrote:

But is it even having the desired effect? So I tip the people giving me my food and ringing up my order at the Chinese or pizza place more when I pick up my food? Those are not people whose income is determined by tips. They get their hourly wage. I don't know why it has become fashionable or some sign of being generous to tip those workers over the last 20 years. I worked behind a counter before handing out takeout orders and ringing up orders and we rarely received tips- maybe on really large orders. But our hourly wage was considerably more than when we waited tables or tended bar where tips were the norm. If there was some way to tip the laid off wait staff and bartenders, I would. We have upped our frequency of getting takeout since the pandemic hit in an effort to help local restaurant owners.

Do you leave a tip for the hotel maid?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:34 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
On vacation, yes...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:38 am 

DAC wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
DAC wrote:

I guess I do view tipping at places such as you’ve noted (places that have always been primarily carry out) a bit differently than what I assumed the OP was asking about. I tip at both but it’s significantly more at restaurants who are normally sit-down places which are clearly suffering from the pandemic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
A place where tipped servers have to stop what they are doing at the tables and pull your carry-out order together, I'll tip 10%. Not that I carry out from there, but that's what Waffle House adds as standard for all carry-out orders. I'll do that at a place like Katy's Dumplings in Westmont.

Carry out from a place with a mostly dedicated carryout process, no tip. If I go pick up a pizza, I'm not tipping. And obviously not a place like Starbucks even thought the app notifies me every time I go through the drive thru window that I didn't tip. A place like Cheesecake Factory with online ordering and curbside pickup, no way I'm tipping. They have a dedicated cheesecake carryout counter, why the fuck should I tip them?

It's also why I won't use Instacart for grocery pickup. I'm not going to pay a markup on every item as well as a pickup fee. I pay $100/year to have Walmart curbside pickup (no tips) and delivery (with tips) at store prices. It saves my sanity not to have to wander through a store for my own stuff, and gives me a process for ordering groceries for my father as well. $35 minimum I usually hit every two weeks for myself, and it's on my way home from getting gasoline at Costco. And for my dad, its a lifesaver now that he can no longer drive. Walmart uses Doordash for their deliveries, and I'll tip those guys well if they are delivering to him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Many of the places I'm picking up from now have instituted an automatic 18% gratuity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:08 am 

a buck or two on pickup just like I would a bartender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

The only correct take to have currently.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:30 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

The only correct take to have currently.

Agreed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Of course.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:47 am 

so i should pay extra for what i already ordered from the place? I am paying for them to cook the food and prepare it in a 'to-go' bag.

I dont think I should tip for that as that's already part of the agreement when you order.

I will tip for delivery drivers but when I'm going and picking up the food, I think that's completely different.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
What really pisses me off is having your tip % based on all food/drink, delivery and service fees when using a DoorDash or Grubhub. Why am I paying a delivery fee and then they’re wanting a tip on the delivery fee?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Prior to COVID I might tip a buck or two for carryout, maybe a little more depending on the place and how extensive the order was. During the pandemic I tip for carryout just like I was sitting in the restaurant, 20-25%, and on occasion I've given more.

That's what I've been doing when I order from a typical restaurant. I figure the people taking the order and getting it ready for pick up are the ones who are missing out on the tips they would normally get from sit down dining. If I order from a place that is normally just a pick up joint anyway I still put just a buck or two in the tip jar like normal. I figure they are different business models.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:21 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
What really pisses me off is having your tip % based on all food/drink, delivery and service fees when using a DoorDash or Grubhub. Why am I paying a delivery fee and then they’re wanting a tip on the delivery fee?

On DoorDash I’m getting free delivery for like 3 mo from a promotion. But I agree with you about delivery fee + tip is too redundant.

Also some places have an additional city fee of $2. Not sure what this is but guessing if it’s out of their way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:24 pm 

redskingreg wrote:

That's not new. Most pizza places have always had delivery fees. That doesn't mean you should stiff the driver on a tip.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 pm 

I also tip on the total, before any discounts or gift cards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
FavreFan wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

That's not new. Most pizza places have always had delivery fees. That doesn't mean you should stiff the driver on a tip.

I realize that. The additional fees are out of control on the third party apps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:16 pm 

I guess don't use them then. But regardless, like was stated at the top of this thread, you should really be over-tipping these days or not ordering out.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next