It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Always water or pop, beer but everybody refuses because they have to. And then 20-50 because they helped me out and then they don't seem to lie to me. Maybe they do I have no idea. Think one plumber thought something was going to happen and I was all way whoa hey we are good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Spaulding wrote:
Always water or pop, beer but everybody refuses because they have to. And then 20-50 because they helped me out and then they don't seem to lie to me. Maybe they do I have no idea. Think one plumber thought something was going to happen and I was all way whoa hey we are good.

Days like today I've very thankful for offers of water. We've had guys pass out and get really sick spending the whole day in this kind of heat.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Tap or bottle water not milk, I show them where to get both. They should feel like a guest in my house.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:15 am 

Spaulding wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:23 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I wasn't sure where else to put this, and here seemed like as good a place as any.

There is a local greek diner by our place. Its nothing terribly special, but the food is generally pretty good, usually freshly made, its affordable, close and convenient. Kind of our "go to" for a quick breakfast or lunch outing. Being so close, even take out works and the food doesn't get soggy or anything because its a quick drive home. My wife and I (and now our little guy) have frequented this place since we moved into our home in January 2013. When JB shut down indoor dining for the second time in the fall, they kept their dining room open so we made sure to order from there at least 2-3 times a month to support a local business and help local employees.

After golf Saturday, I was in no mood to grill and the rest of the family was hungry. Called in a carry out order. Standard fare and everything seemed to be fine. I get there and go to the register and there is a handwritten sign that says, "4% surcharge on ALL Credit Card transactions. Effective 7-16-21."

I was appalled. In this Covid world where MANY businesses are going cashless, this seems even more silly. I know these processing companies charge money, but to me, that's the cost of doing business. You can't ask your customer to pay more to line your own pockets. Furthermore, I have NEVER seen this before outside of a gas station where a place adds a surcharge onto every credit card transaction. It wasn't the buck and a quarter extra I had to pay to swipe my card, its the principle of it. And that said, there are least a dozen other restaurants within a mile or two of us that have no such policy, and thus we will be frequenting them from here on out.

Thoughts?

i think the business should just increase their prices 5%. people likely wouldnt have noticed, but now plenty of people like you are getting mad about the extra fee.

my pizza place charges me $1 for the privilege of submitting an order online. i emailed to ask why and someone got back to me quickly to tell me it wasnt free to develop the online ordering system.... i know that, but bury the damn cost somewhere else so I dont have to see the fee.

i've been avoiding grubhub and doordash online ordering because they back in their fees in to the menu prices. if you look often times the prices on those ordering websites are higher than the prices listed on the resturants own menu/website. If I run in to those I either call the order in myself and deal directly with the resturant for carryout or I just dont order from that resturant.

a Chinese place by me offers a 10% discount if you pay cash.... which im sure is 100% on the level if you audit them

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:47 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I get it. Then raise your prices, don't add on a bunch of fees that could piss off customers.

But its cheaper to put a handwritten sign on your register than it is re-print menus.

No, DONT raise the prices. Theyre doin' u a favor.

If you dont wanna pay the surcharge, then pay cash. You should be paying cash for most things anyway. Credit cards are only for huge purchases and emergencies anyway.

There are several places that have put this in since last year, and it didnt bug me one bit.

These are family-owned places that get hit hard by credit card companies. Help 'em out, jerk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:49 am 

billypootons wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I wasn't sure where else to put this, and here seemed like as good a place as any.

There is a local greek diner by our place. Its nothing terribly special, but the food is generally pretty good, usually freshly made, its affordable, close and convenient. Kind of our "go to" for a quick breakfast or lunch outing. Being so close, even take out works and the food doesn't get soggy or anything because its a quick drive home. My wife and I (and now our little guy) have frequented this place since we moved into our home in January 2013. When JB shut down indoor dining for the second time in the fall, they kept their dining room open so we made sure to order from there at least 2-3 times a month to support a local business and help local employees.

After golf Saturday, I was in no mood to grill and the rest of the family was hungry. Called in a carry out order. Standard fare and everything seemed to be fine. I get there and go to the register and there is a handwritten sign that says, "4% surcharge on ALL Credit Card transactions. Effective 7-16-21."

I was appalled. In this Covid world where MANY businesses are going cashless, this seems even more silly. I know these processing companies charge money, but to me, that's the cost of doing business. You can't ask your customer to pay more to line your own pockets. Furthermore, I have NEVER seen this before outside of a gas station where a place adds a surcharge onto every credit card transaction. It wasn't the buck and a quarter extra I had to pay to swipe my card, its the principle of it. And that said, there are least a dozen other restaurants within a mile or two of us that have no such policy, and thus we will be frequenting them from here on out.

Thoughts?

i think the business should just increase their prices 5%. people likely wouldnt have noticed, but now plenty of people like you are getting mad about the extra fee.

no they shouldnt . Prices are high enough. Theyre doin' u a favor. You help em out by paying cash, and the prices remain normal.

CASH CASH CASH.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:54 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Thoughts?

1) It's hard to believe u haven't noticed any place doin' this. Says a lot about where u shop and eat, and ur spending habits.

2) You are from the old school. You shouldnt be using credit cards for everything. You use CASH. Get a certain amount of cash each week and it helps you busget your money. Forget what ur wife says. Women want credit cards. You, as the man of the house, should know better.

3) You shouldn't need a surcharge to force u to use cash. Especially at family places. You should be paying cash. It helps them hide some money come tax time too. People dont realize that credit card companies hit the small family businesses hard. Same concept as tipping. You ALWAYS tip cash. Not only that, it reduces surveillance and records of every transaction. Since when is every transaction of ours supposed to be accessible by some higher power? Fuck that. Stop complying with the system. THINK.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:00 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Thoughts?

Not silly at all.
You are truly stupid. It shows me that they are fighting to survive, and on their own terms. They aren't "lining their pockets". Thats something BIG businesses do, not small family ones that are trying to survive.

You should be SUPPORTING businesses like this that dont allow themselves to be steered into the system.

How a grown man doesn't have cash on him for situations like this is beyond me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:03 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nobody could ever say I'm not a good tipper. And I've thrown a lot of money around trying to help the restaurants I frequent and their employees during COVID. But it's to the point where they have to help themselves.

Are you running a restaurant or are you a division of the SS checking vaccines and masks? And I understand it's hard. Some guy comes in unmasked and you have some busybody complaining to you.

But don't use COVID to take advantage. Like sneaking a "COVID fee" onto my check. What the fuck is a "COVID fee"? I'll tell you. It's a glom fee.

And here's something that really pissed me off at a Lettuce restaurant. There were four of us and they automatically added an 18% gratuity. But the check also had a tip line with 15, 18, and 20% suggestions. So if you weren't paying attention you could easily tip another 20% on top of the actual check plus the 18% that they already glommed. So I'm tipping on my tip.

And now you're gonna play vaccine police too? Fuck you. Stop crying. My heart is big but it ain't that big.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:12 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nobody could ever say I'm not a good tipper. And I've thrown a lot of money around trying to help the restaurants I frequent and their employees during COVID. But it's to the point where they have to help themselves.
And here's something that really pissed me off at a Lettuce restaurant. There were four of us and they automatically added an 18% gratuity. But the check also had a tip line with 15, 18, and 20% suggestions. So if you weren't paying attention you could easily tip another 20% on top of the actual check plus the 18% that they already glommed. So I'm tipping on my tip.

L.Wood's? Any menu items or other nods to the Blues Brothers in that place?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:13 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
That including 18% but not mentioning it and hoping you double tip is downright shady. That one leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and is a good reason to not go back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:14 am 

i would agree, unless it IS L. Woods. that strudel is downright appointment food.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:24 am 
Site Admin

Hussra wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It was at Oyster Bah.

Here's another one that pisses me off. Gale Street is a place that I've gone since I was a kid. It's not really a regular spot of mine, but my mom loved it. I even had her funeral luncheon there. But "because of COVID"- I guess- they're now closed four days a week, they have limited seating inside, and a whole list of "rules". And now they're taking a ten day vacation to "recharge". How can they be so tired when they're hardly working? I don't know if they glommed PPP money with the forgiven loans or what it is that makes them able to run a third of a business. Maybe the guy is loaded and the restaurant is a vanity project. I don't know. But next year when I read in Chicago Eater that the place is permanently closing and everyone on Twitter is weighing in with their childhood memories of the place, I'll be thinking that they deserved it.

It's called the "hospitality business" for a reason. Greeting me with a long list of rules and protocols isn't very hospitable. I don't have to go out to eat. My wife is a great fucking cook and I'm not too bad myself. Why would I pay some other dope for a tension filled experience loaded with glom fees?

And you can just dismiss me as an old man yelling at cloud during a dangerous pandemic. That's fine. But I'm the customer you want. So when you're having that teary-eyed farewell on your last day after forty years in business, just know that you might still be going if you hadn't alienated people like me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:57 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You're not wrong, and I don't think this is old man yells at cloud. As you said, its tough for restaurants because now they can't do their own thing. There are Karen's that will post a bad review online if a busboy has a mask under his nose or whatnot. They fine line they have to walk is even finer now.

Automatically adding gratuity for a party or 4 is ridiculous, and asking or suggesting more beyond that is insane. In fact, they are probably hurting the waitstaff's tip by doing that because if they adding automatically adding the 18% for such a small party, there are a number of people who won't give a dime more than that even though if they were tipping like normal they might throw down 25%+. And yeah, the Covid surcharges are ridiculous as well. So you have to order more cleaner and sanitizer. Oh well. Raise your prices then. Don't add a glom fee onto my check like that.

You can only go to the well so many times with your regular or semi-regular customers. If you're noticing these things-- like I did in my story above-- I can guarantee other customers are noticing as well. And likely taking at least some of their business elsewhere too.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Here's another one. Believe it or not, there is a dearth of decent hot dog stands in certain North side neighborhoods. Well, a good stand is on Elston south of Irving. I'm not even sure what the hell it's called- J&J or J&B or something- but they serve a proper hot dog. And a big plus for me, they serve pop in cans. I used to go there all the time.

It's run by an Asian guy and his Hispanic wife. It's a two or three person operation so I don't want to hear the "We can't find help" bullshit. No, this guy is using COVID as an excuse to chop down his hours and run his business in a half-assed manner. Suddenly you're closing at 6:30 and sometimes not opening at all? I'm not going to drive a half mile south out of my way only to discover you decided not to open today because "WE'RE IN A PANDEMIC!" I'll hit the taco joint that's on my way home. They don't have any stupid rules and they manage to keep regular hours despite being IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:18 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hussra wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It was at Oyster Bah.

Here's another one that pisses me off. Gale Street is a place that I've gone since I was a kid. It's not really a regular spot of mine, but my mom loved it. I even had her funeral luncheon there. But "because of COVID"- I guess- they're now closed four days a week, they have limited seating inside, and a whole list of "rules". And now they're taking a ten day vacation to "recharge". How can they be so tired when they're hardly working? I don't know if they glommed PPP money with the forgiven loans or what it is that makes them able to run a third of a business. Maybe the guy is loaded and the restaurant is a vanity project. I don't know. But next year when I read in Chicago Eater that the place is permanently closing and everyone on Twitter is weighing in with their childhood memories of the place, I'll be thinking that they deserved it.

It's called the "hospitality business" for a reason. Greeting me with a long list of rules and protocols isn't very hospitable. I don't have to go out to eat. My wife is a great fucking cook and I'm not too bad myself. Why would I pay some other dope for a tension filled experience loaded with glom fees?

And you can just dismiss me as an old man yelling at cloud during a dangerous pandemic. That's fine. But I'm the customer you want. So when you're having that teary-eyed farewell on your last day after forty years in business, just know that you might still be going if you hadn't alienated people like me.

I don't know they're exact situation, but many of our local places are having a very difficult time staffing up...kids are back in HS and at college. Some places have had to reduce hours and days just because they can't staff up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
No, this guy is using COVID as an excuse to chop down his hours
There is no excuse for cutting corners, but the cutting hours thing I can understand. If business is down during certain times, then it makes sense to close early or just not open at all on a given day. It's really no different than close early on a Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Here's another one. Believe it or not, there is a dearth of decent hot dog stands in certain North side neighborhoods. Well, a good stand is on Elston south of Irving. I'm not even sure what the hell it's called- J&J or J&B or something- but they serve a proper hot dog. And a big plus for me, they serve pop in cans. I used to go there all the time.

It's run by an Asian guy and his Hispanic wife. It's a two or three person operation so I don't want to hear the "We can't find help" bullshit. No, this guy is using COVID as an excuse to chop down his hours and run his business in a half-assed manner. Suddenly you're closing at 6:30 and sometimes not opening at all? I'm not going to drive a half mile south out of my way only to discover you decided not to open today because "WE'RE IN A PANDEMIC!" I'll hit the taco joint that's on my way home. They don't have any stupid rules and they manage to keep regular hours despite being IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC!

wait, it's a plus for you that they serve pop in cans ? why would you prefer that to fountain pop ?

its like whenever my Dad gets a beer out he'll order a bottle of Miller Lite. Even if the place has draft. Why ???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Bagels wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

wait, it's a plus for you that they serve pop in cans ? why would you prefer that to fountain pop ?

its like whenever my Dad gets a beer out he'll order a bottle of Miller Lite. Even if the place has draft. Why ???

I prefer cans and bottles to fountain pop, too.

Draft beer, though...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:49 am 
100000 CLUB

Bagels wrote:
Jon Taffer says there is 30% higher profit on draft beer!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Bagels wrote:

What about oddly specific shaken cocktails?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Bagels wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Consistency.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Are you running a restaurant or are you a division of the SS checking vaccines and masks? And I understand it's hard. Some guy comes in unmasked and you have some busybody complaining to you.

But don't use COVID to take advantage. Like sneaking a "COVID fee" onto my check. What the fuck is a "COVID fee"? I'll tell you. It's a glom fee.

And now you're gonna play vaccine police too? Fuck you. Stop crying. My heart is big but it ain't that big.

Sad part is I know I would of tipped more than the 18% but with them playing that game... Nope. My grandfather in his prime probably would of crossed out the tip and left nothing.. But he was a bit prickly when it came to tipping. I think he would of thought Halas was a bit extravagant with his spending.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:45 pm 

Would of, could of, should of...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:56 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Cocktails have the highest profit margin of all

IF I CAN TURN A BEER DRINKER INTO A COCKTAIL DRINKER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:57 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Consistency.

I guess, there are some places with crappy fountain service for sure . But i'll take the risk. I also like a lot of ice in my pop , can gets warm too quick for me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Bagels wrote:
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Cocktails have the highest profit margin of all

IF I CAN TURN A BEER DRINKER INTO A COCKTAIL DRINKER

Any idea on the butt funnel situation at JORR’s Korean hot dog stand?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:00 pm 

I just tipped two guys who brought my stuff curbside pretty quickly today. I do it because I'm not a big fan of walking up and down packed aisles and because ordering stuff online tends to cost me less because that way I don't start throwing stuff into the cart that I'll just have gotten go to waste on impulse purchases. The people usually look pretty damn surprised, but a couple of Jewel employees seem to get my stuff out pdq. Either way, I've always believed in tipping well. I'm not gonna miss it, but it's a nice supplement to the workers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Bagels wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Consistency.

I guess, there are some places with crappy fountain service for sure . But i'll take the risk. I also like a lot of ice in my pop , can gets warm too quick for me

When you get a perfectly mixed fountain pop it's truly sublime. It's just that it happens so rarely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next