It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Westmont
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
KDdidit wrote:
Bohemian Crystal

I’m going there Sunday with quite a bit of family!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:39 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Well you gotta check out Ty Warner park!

I wonder how Westmont Mike is doing.

The Beanie Baby graveyard is rather grim.

Do they still host July 4th fireworks? Those shows use to be awesome when I was a kid. Super long.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:42 am 

I hope you guys appreciate how great your grocery stores here are (Pete’s, Mariano’s, Tony’s, etc.) I hear Dom’s is going to be a hit too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
If you can't tip your waitress/busgirl/salsa bar barista at your local taco stand, then fuck you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Caller Bob wrote:
If you can't tip your waitress/busgirl/salsa bar barista at your local taco stand, then fuck you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Caller Bob wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Taco Grill is fucking awesome! Great salsa bar!

Has the salsa bar survived covid, or did it go to some request only bullshit? When I lived here, I liked killing an hour watching Sunday afternoon baseball there a couple of times a season.

I have only gone to Katy's once since Covid hit, mostly because I had been very careful not to sit inside places until my father had been vaccinated, and because what I like from Katy's doesn't transport well to a hotel room. But it is on my list to visit when I am back up in July.

Hopefully you tipped Lupe, (the energetic Latina that patrols the diner room) well. Take care of her and you will get all the free chips and salsa you want.

I hear that for another dollar she'll refill your iced tea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
Spaulding wrote:
W_Z wrote:

there's a country house in geneva, too...i wonder if it's a coincidence or they're owned by the same people/company.

It's the same owners. I've always thought their burgers were just okay.

Yup, we go there (the Geneva one) quite often. I like my burger on their rye bread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Ron Wolfley wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
Bohemian Crystal

Czechs out since huge family gatherings seem to be typical there

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:20 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
Bohemian Crystal

I see what you did there.

1/4 duck + breaded tenderloin was really good. Sauerkraut was excellent too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:21 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Katy's Dumplings

Excellent recommendation!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
KDdidit wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
Bohemian Crystal

Yeah fuck that place. I loathe the Crystal with all my heart. Being a Czech I had to always go there and I hate Czech cuisine. Bearded pork tenderloin is fine but that's about it. That nation can take its boiled beef and shove it up its tight miserly ass. My wife has czech and polish oh her side and they go there too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:15 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Katy's
Standard Market
Los burritos tapatios
neat

Not a big fan of that Tapatio's honestly. The worst one is the one on Roosevelt in GE the one in Lombard is fine. I actually think both Naperville locations are the better ones of Tap's They also own El Burrito Mexican in Lisle which is the OG and always a classic. I think the best right now though is Taco Dale, either Lisle or the one by Fox Valley. Their Pork and Steak are really well seasoned.

Speaking of Westmont has anyone gone to Bishops Chili? My grandmother lived across the street, my father grew up in Westmont, I lived there for a brief while too and I have never been there. It's almost amazing I haven't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Erotic Lawyer wrote:

Not a big fan of that Tapatio's honestly. The worst one is the one on Roosevelt in GE the one in Lombard is fine. I actually think both Naperville locations are the better ones of Tap's They also own El Burrito Mexican in Lisle which is the OG and always a classic. I think the best right now though is Taco Dale, either Lisle or the one by Fox Valley. Their Pork and Steak are really well seasoned.

Speaking of Westmont has anyone gone to Bishops Chili? My grandmother lived across the street, my father grew up in Westmont, I lived there for a brief while too and I have never been there. It's almost amazing I haven't.

I wasn’t impressed with taco dale. Our friends love it. I’ll try Mexicano next but I really love tapatios especially the ge location.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:13 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
https://losdosrestaurant.com/

Authentic cuisine of the Yucatan. Small 4 table kind of place with a few counter spots.

Good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
https://losdosrestaurant.com/

Authentic cuisine of the Yucatan. Small 4 table kind of place with a few counter spots.

Good stuff.

Yes, very good. The white woman up front is the sister in law. I keep meaning to get back there for dinner when I'm visiting my dad as it's not far at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:28 pm 

Los dos is okay, I think I like tacochela better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:36 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Los Dos is definitely not norteño hangover stuff. That's what Taco Grill is for.

What do you like at tacochela? I've driven by it a fair amount lately but haven't stopped in yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:09 pm 

Carnitas or al pastor burrito.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:24 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Chuck’s in Darien has a good cochinita pibil but I think they only have it en sábado.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:36 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:

I wasn’t impressed with taco dale. Our friends love it. I’ll try Mexicano next but I really love tapatios especially the ge location.

Yeah we absolutely have different tastes lol. The thing about the gE one is the salsa tastes different or the couple of times I was in there it did and from Tap's it is all about the Salsa. El Burrito Mexicano actually reminds me more of the GE tapatio so you would likely like that one.

Tavo Dale was best when it was still Taco Diner, but I think their flavor profile on the Steak and Pork is just top notch. Everything else is fine, nothing to write home about. The rice is super bright orange but I actually like it, but different strokes for different folks ya know lol.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:40 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Ha once again, I really like Los Dos, well my wife does especially. For them it is more small batch stuff. Tacochela is ok but the few times I have been there they didn't know how to wrap a burrito and it angered me. First time I gave them the benefit of the doubt because they had just opened but 2 or there other times since then I went there and it was overstuffed and spilling out, you know the rookie move that places do when they don't sell burritos as their main item... I will say though they have great shrimp there and I actually like the store itself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:36 pm 

Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Ha once again, I really like Los Dos, well my wife does especially. For them it is more small batch stuff. Tacochela is ok but the few times I have been there they didn't know how to wrap a burrito and it angered me. First time I gave them the benefit of the doubt because they had just opened but 2 or there other times since then I went there and it was overstuffed and spilling out, you know the rookie move that places do when they don't sell burritos as their main item... I will say though they have great shrimp there and I actually like the store itself.

So I finally got to try Tacochela tonight and I'm somewhere in between the two of you on this. Sadly nobody fitting Spaulding's general description was there.

Pros:
1. They have sopes. And they are fucking massive, which surprised me.
2. A nice set of potential toppings. Bonus pro for pickled cabbage.
3. Generous portions of meat on the orders :eye:
4. Friendly staff
Cons:
1. Tacos were $3.55 each. Going with the sope for $1 more was an easy choice.
2. Salsa choices were uninspired
3. They have a flaming hot Cali Burrito on their menu, which sounds like something for Downers Grove South students to dare each other to eat
4. The chorizo for my sope wasn't well drained, and with a large portion size there was a lot of grease. A lot. I expected maybe two ounces of chorizo at most, I got closer to five!
5. Maybe it was because it was already 6:30pm, but the Al pastor was in the steam table already.

I ate my chorizo sope and 1/3 of my Al pastor burrito and put the rest of the latter in the hotel room refrigerator for tomorrow night. (For perspective, the sope was bigger than the Taco Grill burrito I had last month).

I would return but more likely it would be to get something for watching a noon sporting event from my recliner at home (if I still lived here) than for dinner or to socialize. Although if Spaulding showed up I'd buy her lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:08 pm 

Text me next time, I had the day off and I could have used lunch.

I tried Marmelly last week. It was okay. It was a little sweet I don't know if it was the pineapple or if there was a touch of something like cinnamon but every few bites I got that flavor. Next will be Taco Grill and then I think I will have tried everything that everybody talked about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:26 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Text me next time, I had the day off and I could have used lunch.

I tried Marmelly last week. It was okay. It was a little sweet I don't know if it was the pineapple or if there was a touch of something like cinnamon but every few bites I got that flavor. Next will be Taco Grill and then I think I will have tried everything that everybody talked about.

Sadly it was dinner tonight (my dad doesn't like Mexican food at his advanced age). But I can probably get away for lunch on some upcoming trip.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:31 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Sadly it was dinner tonight (my dad doesn't like Mexican food at his advanced age). But I can probably get away for lunch on some upcoming trip.

Dinner is easier!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Tachochella does not supply free chips and salsa when you dine in, which I think should be table stakes. Makes them seem cheap, like Chipotle.

I’m a big fan of Burrito Parilla—large burritos, seasoned steak, and not jammed with rice and beans. The Lombard location seems to be the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Spaulding wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:

I like Dale a lot but basically just for their steak- the chicken is just ok and haven't tried any other of their meats. Also the Bolingbrook location seems to be better than the Romeoville one for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:39 am 

I tried the one in Lisle.

I always get Al Pastor, Carnitas, or cochinita pibil.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:43 pm 

Taco Grill was very good. Liked it a lot.