It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
AWWWW YEAH!!!!! That's how you negotiate from a position of power. That is good stuff. :lol: Alright alright alright.

But I have no power and none of that is really important. What should I be doing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Spaulding wrote:
AWWWW YEAH!!!!! That's how you negotiate from a position of power. That is good stuff. :lol: Alright alright alright.

But I have no power and none of that is really important. What should I be doing?

If you can do the job in Mexico, you could also get fully paid medical, a housing allowance for purchase of a home, a weekly grocery stipend for supplies, 2 weeks XMas holiday bonus, a standard amount to your personal savings account, and free lunch everyday that includes a plastic bag of juice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Jaw Breaker wrote:
The place our family would go on special occasions such as graduations was Horwath's on Harlem near North in Elmwood Park (which is gone now).

I didn't really like it since it was usually a three-hour affair and the food was too fancy for me at the time.

was there on thanksgiving day 1980 when david williams returned the OT kickoff for the winning td.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:37 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
The place our family would go on special occasions such as graduations was Horwath's on Harlem near North in Elmwood Park (which is gone now).

I didn't really like it since it was usually a three-hour affair and the food was too fancy for me at the time.

was there on thanksgiving day 1980 when david williams returned the OT kickoff for the winning td.

I was at my Aunt Miriam’s.

One of those you knew where you were moments.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:40 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

A nice place that I actually liked to go to was this German restaurant in Elgin called Dieterle's (also gone now).

let's see...from the 70s:

shanghai-lil's on milwaukee ave. just north of foster. hawaiian theme..hula dancers, kiddie cocktails for us little kids.

king fong restaurant by north & austin/amato's pizza just west of there.

r.j. grunt's on milwaukee ave. in northbrook.

best german place i ever went to was maders in milwaukee.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:47 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
For breakfast, Wags on Harlem near Addison and Dappers on Cumberland were my favorites. Used to get Mickey Mouse pancakes at both places as a special order.

Had a once-a-month Tuesday night dinner with my Aunt at Ground Round. Can't remember the food being anything special but a lot of great memories.

wags was on the sw corner of belmont & harlem...it was a hot corner for awhile. across the street was luke's and a white castle. in that white castle parking lot, i saw the greatest fight between 2 women i've ever seen. within 2 minutes, each had ripped off the other's shirt and bra. the fight was circa 1985. they may have been fighting over someone named vito.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:05 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Yeah, King Fong was our go to for Chinese. Victor’s for pizza. Margie’s for Italian beef. Russell’s for barbecue.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
chaspoppcap wrote:
Hickory Pit and this place on 26th and wallace across from original Connies. Both Mob places.

edit: just remembered the name,Mr Christophers

Joe Naponiello. My guy!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:23 am 

DAC wrote:
I'll keep it real- I loved Ponderosa as a kid. The desert bar was DA BOMB for a 10-year old DAC.

same. ponderosa was like going to vegas to us

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Spaulding wrote:

See, this is way beyond the coaching you'd get from a sort of farmer in western Illinois.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:42 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The red barrel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:06 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
For breakfast, Wags on Harlem near Addison and Dappers on Cumberland were my favorites. Used to get Mickey Mouse pancakes at both places as a special order.

Had a once-a-month Tuesday night dinner with my Aunt at Ground Round. Can't remember the food being anything special but a lot of great memories.

wags was on the sw corner of belmont & harlem...it was a hot corner for awhile. across the street was luke's and a white castle. in that white castle parking lot, i saw the greatest fight between 2 women i've ever seen. within 2 minutes, each had ripped off the other's shirt and bra. the fight was circa 1985. they may have been fighting over someone named vito.

SE corner of belmont & harlem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:08 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Yeah, King Fong was our go to for Chinese.

yes, real nice people and great food.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Tito's Tacos in Culver City. Its still there and I hit it up as much as I can when I'm out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:30 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I was at my Aunt Miriam’s.

One of those you knew where you were moments.

I was at home getting ready to go to my grandparents home. And then the power went out right before the overtime kickoff. I was so heated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:34 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
DAC wrote:
I'll keep it real- I loved Ponderosa as a kid. The desert bar was DA BOMB for a 10-year old DAC.

same. ponderosa was like going to vegas to us

My mother objected each time I wanted my delicious ribeye medium rare. My dad just thought that I was nuts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
There really weren't any fancy joints in LPO area. I'd say getting Garzanelli's (was literally a block from my house) as about the biggest treat we'd have. Sam's pizza in Oglesby was always good, too. Sammy is still alive and kicking back there. When I was a kid, we'd head up to Chicago to visit grandparents (my mom grew up in Chicago) and I think we'd go to the White Eagle for Polish.

Agree with the shoutout for Uptown in LaSalle. I don't get back there that often, especially to go out to eat, but it's a great place. My brother seems to know everyone in town so he's got a hook up at all the bars and restaurant's.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:32 pm 

The Division wrote:
There really weren't any fancy joints in LPO area. I'd say getting Garzanelli's (was literally a block from my house) as about the biggest treat we'd have. Sam's pizza in Oglesby was always good, too. Sammy is still alive and kicking back there. When I was a kid, we'd head up to Chicago to visit grandparents (my mom grew up in Chicago) and I think we'd go to the White Eagle for Polish.

Agree with the shoutout for Uptown in LaSalle. I don't get back there that often, especially to go out to eat, but it's a great place. My brother seems to know everyone in town so he's got a hook up at all the bars and restaurant's.

No Monari’s 101 Club? I went there for prom. At the time it was built up to like you were eating at the White House. It was pretty good.

LaGrotto’s?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
The Division wrote:

No Monari’s 101 Club? I went there for prom. At the time it was built up to like you were eating at the White House. It was pretty good.

LaGrotto’s?

Been to both in my late teens and not with my family. Maybe Maple’s? Not sure, I just don’t recall. Too long ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Not SS shitposting here…

I loved Applebee’s when I was a kid. I vividly remember arguing with an older cousin when I was 8 or 9 about how great the popcorn shrimp basket was.

Chili’s chicken tenders absolutely blew the 12-year old mind of rsg. I grew up in a small town, so Chili’s was fine dining.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Favorite memory is the Pizza Hut. The red plastic cups. Quarters for arcade cocktail machines. The spices on top of the breadsticks. The pride of a well earned book-it star.

On the fancy side of things, we’d hit red lobster once or twice a year for birthdays. The highest of high dining in the quad cities.

And I have a few memories of a fancy-ish steak house I think called the old oaks in rock island or moline. They had some gimmick where you grilled your own steak. My memory says it was fancy, but it may have been a dump. We’re grill your own steak steakhouses a thing in the 80s at some point?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
The oyster talk earlier hit home with great memories of my son. He is 8 now, but when he was 4 or 5 he couldn’t get enough oysters. We took the family to savannah ga. The girls were doing a Girl Scout tour leaving me and my son to go bar hoping for oysters. I probably spent 200 that afternoon hitting every restaurant that served oysters. One of the funniest days I’ve had as a dad. He was so excited ordering a half dozen from every place we walked into.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
TurdFerguson wrote:
Were grill your own steak steakhouses a thing in the 80s at some point?

There was a place downtown (River North I think) in the late 90s called The Butcher Shop with a similar grill-it-yourself concept. I remember the Heavy Fuel Crew doing some ads for them, which parodied some similar ads Mike North was doing for Hawthorne ("they throw the strippers at ya!").

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:18 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Were grill your own steak steakhouses a thing in the 80s at some point?

There was a place downtown (River North I think) in the late 90s called The Butcher Shop with a similar grill-it-yourself concept. I remember the Heavy Fuel Crew doing some ads for them, which parodied some similar ads Mike North was doing for Hawthorne ("they throw the strippers at ya!").

Still have a Prime Quarter in Princeton. I think there a few more from that chain north of the Cheddar curtain. Haven’t been to the Princeton one on years. My late grandfather liked taking us there when he was driving through the area. Always had to tip the waitress when he wasn’t looking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:23 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The Division wrote:

LaGrotto’s?

Is Monte's in Ottawa still there? Kind of a rat pack divey look and menu. It's probably been 15 years since I've been there, we went for lunch a couple of times here and there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:25 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Also, it's amazing that one of the few assertions on this board that is universally accepted is that Uptown Grill is highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:12 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Also, it's amazing that one of the few assertions on this board that is universally accepted is that Uptown Grill is highly recommended.

It’s good. I would recommend it.

However, I also acknowledge that it benefits from lack of competition.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
After nearly every trip to or through Chicago, for a game, museum or visit of relatives, we'd get off the Skyway at Indianapolis Boulevard and stop at the White Castle for sliders. It may not be fine dining (okay, it definitely is not), but those stops and the anticipation of them are woven into some of my best memories as a kid.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:00 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I recommend the patty melt at Poppin' Fresh Pies.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:37 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

It’s good. I would recommend it.

However, I also acknowledge that it benefits from lack of competition.

For sure. We don’t go much but when my parents would visit we’d drive there as it would get them closer to home vs other options. They liked Red Door as well before it closed down but we only made it there once or twice and my memory of it is vague. Might of been pre kids the last time i was there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next