It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Need to rebrand to Rudd Fuckers. I don't believe I've ever been to one. That's a shame.
Spokesman:

Fixed.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
CDOM wrote:
Fudds shut down the one in Schaumburg a year or two ago too.

The Fudds at 75th/Lemont was my go-to when I just wanted to chill someplace for a couple of hours with no email and no cellphone and just write. Their back room would usually be empty and it had nice big tables and just enough white noise.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:31 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Shakey's pizza, loved the buffet. The pizza wasn't bad for buffet pizza, chicken was solid but the Mojo's were awesome.

Loved going to Shakey's after Little League games. I remember seeing Space Invaders there when it first came out.

Shakey's is still a thing in SoCal. We used to go there at the end of Little League season.

There used to be a place called Farrell's in SoCal that was great for birthday parties but I don't know if they had them out here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
CDOM wrote:

The Fudds at 75th/Lemont was my go-to when I just wanted to chill someplace for a couple of hours with no email and no cellphone and just write. Their back room would usually be empty and it had nice big tables and just enough white noise.

How would you ever get peace there? I mean unless you go between 2 - 4pm or maybe somewhere between 9 - close. :D

Everytime we'd go, the place is hopping, with a line backed up out the door.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:01 am 

Shakeys is another good one. We had some little league parties there, that was always a good time.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:05 pm 

CDOM wrote:

There wasn't anything particularly special there iirc. And I'm not driving around for just ok.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:34 pm 

A co-worker and I would hit it up for lunch a lot.

It wasn't so much for the super high quality burger, it was for being able to make your own toppings (where I would dump pretty much the whole pickle container on my plate). Then I'd ask for a second plate just to completely fill with molten cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Some of these places I liked as a kid I wonder.. When I lived out west there was a place downtown called Burger Bob's that I really like that had the ability to put any toppings on your burger. Id hit the salad bar area nd put on avocado and blue cheese dressing on my cheddar burger along with onions and stuff and it was damn good. I went back in 2007 maybe and it was not as good as I remember.. beef sucked compared to 96-2000 memory. Something changed or it wasn't all that great to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
RFDC wrote:
Shakeys is another good one. We had some little league parties there, that was always a good time.

You might be too young to remember it but Shakeys got hit hard in the late 70’s by a (false) rumor that empty dog food cans were found in their dumpster.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Was people eating dog food a thing in the 70s? I seem to remember watching an episode of Good Times about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:22 pm 

Remember hearing about old people buying it because it was cheaper but beyond that I don’t know. I can’t say any time I’ve fed the hounds that I’ve been like “Damn, that looks good.” Though. I’d think Campbell’s soup or hormel chili might be cheaper these days anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:35 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You might be too young to remember it but Shakeys got hit hard in the late 70’s by a (false) rumor that empty dog food cans were found in their dumpster.

:lol: Nice, yeah that was before my time. I was playing little league in the mid to late 80s

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Remember hearing about old people buying it because it was cheaper but beyond that I don’t know. I can’t say any time I’ve fed the hounds that I’ve been like “Damn, that looks good.” Though. I’d think Campbell’s soup or hormel chili might be cheaper these days anyways.

Hopefully it was just an urban legend. In the Good Times episode they invited a neighbor over for dinner and she turned up with a meatloaf made of dog food. As a young kid watching this in 1988 I was horrified and wondered what life must have been like in the 70s.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
CDOM wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
CDOM wrote:

How would you ever get peace there? I mean unless you go between 2 - 4pm or maybe somewhere between 9 - close. :D

Everytime we'd go, the place is hopping, with a line backed up out the door.

I used to go around 1 on a weekday and go sit in the back room, the one they'd use for birthday parties and stuff like that. By the time I'd finish eating, anyone left in the place was out front near a TV. Then I'd start writing and fuel myself up on diet coke refills for an hour or 90 minutes, then get home in time to knock out a few emails before colleagues on the east cost went home.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I don't recall going to many nice places as a kid. When I was 15 my family moved from up near Appleton/Green Bay, WI to the far northern burbs. Before we moved my
parents brought us down to Chicago and I brought my best friend along as he had never been either. One of the nights we went to Ditka's for dinner. That was likely the
nicest place I had ever been up to that point. I don't even remember all that much about the experience but my friend, my brother and I were all pretty enamored with
downtown Chicago that is for sure. This was the very early 90s.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
T-Bone wrote:
I don't recall going to many nice places as a kid. When I was 15 my family moved from up near Appleton/Green Bay, WI to the far northern burbs. Before we moved my
parents brought us down to Chicago and I brought my best friend along as he had never been either. One of the nights we went to Ditka's for dinner. That was likely the
nicest place I had ever been up to that point. I don't even remember all that much about the experience but my friend, my brother and I were all pretty enamored with

The experience would have been just as good if it happened in Arlington Heights and traffic would have been better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

The experience would have been just as good if it happened in Arlington Heights and traffic would have been better.

We stayed in a hotel right off Michigan Ave so we walked to Ditkas. I don't recall if my dad was there to seal his new job or what but we did Water Tower Place and hung out for a day in a half
down there and it was like we were in another world. I moved around a lot as a kid but up to that point the biggest cities I had actually spent any time in was Green Bay and Champaign/Urbana.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:27 am 

The culture shock was equal going the other way. I ended up in green bay from here for a few years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
T-Bone wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

We stayed in a hotel right off Michigan Ave so we walked to Ditkas. I don't recall if my dad was there to seal his new job or what but we did Water Tower Place and hung out for a day in a half
down there and it was like we were in another world. I moved around a lot as a kid but up to that point the biggest cities I had actually spent any time in was Green Bay and Champaign/Urbana.

Ditka's pot roast nachos were great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Spaulding wrote:
Rusty Pelican was our fancy restaurant I think.

I miss the Rusty Pelican.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Pizza Hut was followed by that urban legend likewise. I recall nboit being allowed to eat there because of that and it was referred to as Pizza Mutt which was oh so clever. I think the Shakeys I went to as a kid is a Delta Sonic now and I would bet that the Delta Sonic has better pizza.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Pizza Hut always seemed dope. It was considered an outing as a kid.

I do feel a pinch of sadness when realizing it's just a cookie cutter chain pizza store owned by some conglomerate that owns...several other cookie cutter chain restaurants.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
veganfan21 wrote:

I do feel a pinch of sadness when realizing it's just a cookie cutter chain pizza store owned by some conglomerate that owns...several other cookie cutter chain restaurants.

Pizza Hut buffet was money. I wish it still existed.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:57 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Pizza Hut buffet was money. I wish it still existed.

Agreed.

That was in my lunch rotation when I sold tractor supplies, Roadrunner tires, and mufflers at Farm & Fleet making $4.15/hour in the late ‘80s.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:16 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Here’s a quick Farm & Fleet story. It was my first job that wasn’t from my Dad. I was clocking in and out as a 17-year old.

Hardee’s was across the street. I got the turkey club.

Anyway I got an hour for lunch but it only took me 30 minutes to get there, eat, and clock back in to work.

After a week or two of that, the store manager called me into his office and told me I wasn’t taking a long enough lunch. I said I only need 30 minutes. He said that gives me too much overtime and I need to take the full hour.

So the rest of the Summer I sat in my car an extra half-hour everyday doing nothing instead of working at an understaffed tire desk so the company could save $15/week to underserve their customers at a prime time of the day.

My first glimpse of a management style. I never forgot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:31 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
I've done some of my best work sitting in the parking lot. Which, granted, isn't saying much. But still...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:58 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Here’s a quick Farm & Fleet story. It was my first job that wasn’t from my Dad. I was clocking in and out as a 17-year old.

Anyway I got an hour for lunch but it only took me 30 minutes to get there, eat, and clock back in to work.

After a week or two of that, the store manager called me into his office and told me I wasn’t taking a long enough lunch. I said I only need 30 minutes. He said that gives me too much overtime and I need to take the full hour.

So the rest of the Summer I sat in my car an extra half-hour everyday doing nothing instead of working at an understaffed tire desk so the company could save $15/week to underserve their customers at a prime time of the day.

This echoes my experiences with managers at grocery stores.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.

Typical Kennilworthington-type, trying to make himself sound just like the rest of us. Oh, the lowly beginnings of working the tire desk at the chain of stores I owned by age 17!...Fathah? When shalst I occupy the Executive Suites?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:59 am 

K Effective wrote:

Typical Kennilworthington-type, trying to make himself sound just like the rest of us. Oh, the lowly beginnings of working the tire desk at the chain of stores I owned by age 17!...Fathah? When shalst I occupy the Executive Suites?

Did you miss the part where I got the turkey club?

Hamburgers are for the hoi polloi.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
At Silvercryst supper club tonight in the area of some of the board members. Nice place with a good vibe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next