It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Elk's club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
One I miss, and not so much from childhood, but just in general... LoneStar steakhouse.

Not because of the steaks, but because I loved filling up on the peanuts, cheese fries (so much better than Outback), bread, and then the steak soup.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:33 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
There was this supper club in Green Bay called the Rock Garden that my moms parents would always take me and my brother.

Toast points and liver pate out the wazoo. A salad bar with chilled plates, chicken gizzards and jello salad. And of course all the Brandy Alexanders you could stomach. Extremely chill vibe. Very much miss that place

They're still over there on the west side, just off 41. Part of a Comfort Inn.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
There was this pizza place-restaurant next to Kristoff's in Round Lake named Fiore's. It's now a mexican joint. I remember their pizza being great - who knows if it was. They had an awesome juke box and a small arcade area.

Any of you older northern Lake County peeps remember this place?

There was also a steak/seafood place at Route 12 and State Park Road named Captain's Anchor. We used to go there once or twice a year around Christmas. I don't remember exactly when, but either 1987 or 1988 it burned to the ground. Still a vacant space all these years...

We'd lovingly refer to it as Charred Anchor, specifically because of the way the sign burned.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
CDOM wrote:
One I miss, and not so much from childhood, but just in general... LoneStar steakhouse.

Not because of the steaks, but because I loved filling up on the peanuts, cheese fries (so much better than Outback), bread, and then the steak soup.

It's tough to keep track of the various restaurant takeovers, buyouts, mergers, failures, etc, but here is what I know of Lone Star.

Lone Star decided to open some upscale steakhouses, and launched Sullivan's, with locations in Chicago, Naperville, and other locations across the country. Lone Star also acquired Del Frisco's, a group of very high-end steakhouses out of Texas. They made Del Frisco's their high-end offering, with Sullivan's the medium tier, and Lone Star the bottom. Eventually Sullivan's and Del Frisco's went public, separating from Lone Star. Del Frisco's eventually sold Sullivan's to Macaroni Grill. I recently noticed that the beautiful Del Frisco's in Chicago, located on Oak St. in the former Esquire Theater, shut down in 2018 due to poor sales.

Lone Star went bankrupt in 2017, with all locations closed by 2019. I sometimes confuse Lone Star Steakhouse with Longhorn Steakhouse, which is still open. The closest current concept to Lone Star (free peanuts etc) is Texas Roadhouse.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Anyone ever go to The Assembly in Hoffman Estates? Just great burgers and drunk waitresses.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:36 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Anyone ever go to The Assembly in Hoffman Estates? Just great burgers and drunk waitresses.

I had their burger once and thought it was outstanding...are they still around?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:38 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I had their burger once and thought it was outstanding...are they still around?

Hell yeah man. Went there yesterday. Was supposed to have gone to Benihana but the ridiculous nature of life changed plans after we'd been seated.

Edit... you really want their pretzel bun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:52 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
CDOM wrote:

It's tough to keep track of the various restaurant takeovers, buyouts, mergers, failures, etc, but here is what I know of Lone Star.

Lone Star decided to open some upscale steakhouses, and launched Sullivan's, with locations in Chicago, Naperville, and other locations across the country. Lone Star also acquired Del Frisco's, a group of very high-end steakhouses out of Texas. They made Del Frisco's their high-end offering, with Sullivan's the medium tier, and Lone Star the bottom. Eventually Sullivan's and Del Frisco's went public, separating from Lone Star. Del Frisco's eventually sold Sullivan's to Macaroni Grill. I recently noticed that the beautiful Del Frisco's in Chicago, located on Oak St. in the former Esquire Theater, shut down in 2018 due to poor sales.

Lone Star went bankrupt in 2017, with all locations closed by 2019. I sometimes confuse Lone Star Steakhouse with Longhorn Steakhouse, which is still open. The closest current concept to Lone Star (free peanuts etc) is Texas Roadhouse.

I didn't know they had Sullivan's. When I was working downtown for awhile, I think we all went to dinner there once.

Anyway, I thought there was actually one Lone Star still open in the Chicago area, but it's down by Joliet or something. Longhorn is their other one, but that.

But yes, we've (our family) hit up Texas Roadhouse quite often. Moreso now that they have one in Bloomingdale (in Stratford's outlot) vs. us having to go to Naperville or Crystal Lake.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:54 pm 

Is the Assembly place over by the theatre? Then yes. But to be honest, I can't recall how I felt about it. Probably had something cheap off the lunch menu and moved on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:56 pm 

CDOM wrote:
Is the Assembly place over by the theatre? Then yes. But to be honest, I can't recall how I felt about it. Probably had something cheap off the lunch menu and moved on.

It's on Barrington right off 90.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
My parents would go out to dinner pretty much every weekend. After we were seated they would both order martinis and my dad’s rule was you couldn’t look at the menu until the drinks arrived. He said it was a way to make sure we weren’t rushed.

We ate at pretty much every restaurant in the Joliet area (seems like there were a lot of Italian places back then), but the nicer ones I remember were Syl’s in Rockdale, The Rockwell Inn in Morris and Drake’s Farm on Goose Lake. The last 2 are long gone but somehow Syl’s has survived.

What about Merichka's?

Honestly I don’t remember that being one of the regular haunts. I’ve eaten there more as an adult than I did as a kid. I’d add, though, that while I like the old school vibe of the place, their poorboys are hit and miss (and not cheap either).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Darkside wrote:
Was supposed to have gone to Benihana but the ridiculous nature of life changed plans after we'd been seated.

What happened?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:57 pm 

My favorite place was Fuddruckers though. Which cheese sauce will I choose on my burger? All 6 of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:01 pm 

Brick wrote:
My favorite place was Fuddruckers though. Which cheese sauce will I choose on my burger? All 6 of them.

I was mad when the one in Naperville/Aurora closed, and then really pissed when the one in Downers Grove shut down. Thankfully, there are many good burgers available these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:01 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Was supposed to have gone to Benihana but the ridiculous nature of life changed plans after we'd been seated.

What happened?

Well after we got there and were seated for our 245 reservation, we finally got a call at around 310 that my sister decided she didn't want to celebrate her (our) birthday. She was supposed to pick up my mom so neither of them were there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:03 pm 

Darkside wrote:
CDOM wrote:

It's on Barrington right off 90.

Ok, that isn't the place I was thinking of then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:03 pm 

Brick wrote:

YES! Then I would load up on pickles and have the plate full of cheese for the fries. Oh, and I guess there was a burger in their somewhere. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:04 pm 

Brick wrote:

:lol: that place was awesome until other places learned that putting jalapeños or guacamole on a burger is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:06 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Darkside wrote:

What happened?

Well after we got there and were seated for our 245 reservation, we finally got a call at around 310 that my sister decided she didn't want to celebrate her (our) birthday. She was supposed to pick up my mom so neither of them were there.

Hopefully there wasn't another unrelated party waiting with you at your table!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:07 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Darkside wrote:

What happened?

Hopefully there wasn't another unrelated party waiting with you at your table!

Oh yeah. Nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
DS, are you two twins, or just have birthdays about the same time?

We went to a TGIFridays while visiting relatives in Memphis mid-1970's, that was cool and exciting back then.

Also, there was some ice cream shop, maybe at Old Chicago? that had one of those 32 scoop monstrosities that if you ate the whole thing it was free, or something like that. Might have been down in south Bend area...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:05 pm 

K Effective wrote:
DS, are you two twins, or just have birthdays about the same time?

We went to a TGIFridays while visiting relatives in Memphis mid-1970's, that was cool and exciting back then.

Also, there was some ice cream shop, maybe at Old Chicago? that had one of those 32 scoop monstrosities that if you ate the whole thing it was free, or something like that. Might have been down in south Bend area...

Not twins. She's 6 years older but her birthday is 7/28 mine is 7/31.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I was mad when the one in Naperville/Aurora closed, and then really pissed when the one in Downers Grove shut down. Thankfully, there are many good burgers available these days.

It would be amazing if he could pull it off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't know how you fix them though. They need better fries. And better food but they were what they were in a way. You don't go there unless they do a charity thing with school.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Need to rebrand to Rudd Fuckers. I don't believe I've ever been to one. That's a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Need to rebrand to Rudd Fuckers. I don't believe I've ever been to one. That's a shame.

Spokesman:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:53 am 

Shakey's pizza, loved the buffet. The pizza wasn't bad for buffet pizza, chicken was solid but the Mojo's were awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:08 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Shakey's pizza, loved the buffet. The pizza wasn't bad for buffet pizza, chicken was solid but the Mojo's were awesome.

Loved going to Shakey's after Little League games. I remember seeing Space Invaders there when it first came out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:20 am 

Fudds shut down the one in Schaumburg a year or two ago too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next