It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bourbon
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:51 am 

OK, just opening a thread for bourbon fans to share info/reviews/etc

Post subject: Re: Bourbon
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I went to Glenns Creek the other day when I was in Lexington for Keeneland. I wasn't impressed. A lot of hand waving, not a lot of interesting product.

Buffalo Trace has been doing daily sales which they post at 9:30am. There seem to be some good deals there if you happen to be in town and catch the right one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:01 pm 

the bourbon trail is a great time. I don't know why Louisville hasn't exploded more as a travel destination like Nashville. They have a weekend full of fun things to do for entertainment.

I went through there this summer. I had heard 1792 was one of the best for your money. I didn't particularly like it. Overwhelming strength.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Bargain bourbon worth having in your cabinet...especially if you like Manhattans and Old Fashioneds

Very Old Barton
Kirkland Signatures are sourced from Barton's
Rittenhouse Rye
Hochstadter's Bonded (was comparably priced to Rittenhouse, then they recently doubled the price...still worth it)

Any of the Weller varieties...if you can find them.

I really like Jim Beam too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
good dolphin wrote:
the bourbon trail is a great time. I don't know why Louisville hasn't exploded more as a travel destination like Nashville. They have a weekend full of fun things to do for entertainment.

I went through there this summer. I had heard 1792 was one of the best for your money. I didn't particularly like it. Overwhelming strength.

Some great bars for the bourbon drinking, hipster foodie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
good dolphin wrote:

Because Louisville is a shithole.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
My husband likes buffalo trace and George stagg. I like Four roses and maybe makers mark.

I'd like to get him an expensive bottle but I'm not sure what. Maybe Pappy but other suggestions would be great.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
GoldenJet wrote:
Bargain bourbon worth having in your cabinet...especially if you like Manhattans and Old Fashioneds

Very Old Barton
Rittenhouse Rye
Hochstadter's Bonded (was comparably priced to Rittenhouse, then they recently doubled the price...still worth it)

I picked up some Weller while passing through Memphis. Although I enjoy bourbon, I am definitely not a connoisseur and didn't even know anything about it. The store had a sign saying there was a limit of 1 bottle per customer so I asked why - especially considering it was only $30/bottle. The guy said that "people in the know" would come in and buy their entire stock if they didn't put a limit. So we walked out with 2 bottles, and while I would say it is good I don't understand the extraordinary demand.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:22 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I picked up some Weller while passing through Memphis. Although I enjoy bourbon, I am definitely not a connoisseur and didn't even know anything about it. The store had a sign saying there was a limit of 1 bottle per customer so I asked why - especially considering it was only $30/bottle. The guy said that "people in the know" would come in and buy their entire stock if they didn't put a limit. So we walked out with 2 bottles, and while I would say it is good I don't understand the extraordinary demand.

We thought Weller was okay as well. Not great not bad but not special.

We get bulleit and Woodford too.

Last edited by Spaulding on Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:22 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
My husband likes buffalo trace and George stagg. I like Four roses and maybe makers mark.

I'd like to get him an expensive bottle but I'm not sure what. Maybe Pappy but other suggestions would be great.

Good luck with the Pappy. We hit the major stores around Louisville and also popped into Buffalo Trace looking for Pappy and Colonel Taylor as a gift for my BIL...they just laughed at us.

Last edited by Zippy-The-Pinhead on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:36 pm 

They have it online you just got to pay for it. I think the 20 year one is about 3500, there is a 10 year for 1500 but I don't know, I want to buy they 20 year one. :lol:

Michter's is the most expensive we've gone and he didn't really like it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I went on a search for some Blanton"s on Saturday that was just released. Couldn't find any. Apparently it is in limited supply this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:32 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
OK, just opening a thread for bourbon fans to share info/reviews/etc

I'm guessing you downed some Bourbon on Saturday :drunken:

Purdue??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:16 pm 

I like Makers 46 a lot but I'm working down my Woodford Double Oaked first before I buy any. I also have some Basil Hayden for a change of pace with a little more of a rye component. Plus I still have half a bottle of Crown Royal I liberated from my parents house when they moved about seven or eight years ago.

But I don't drink much at home. Rarely more than a full shot a week. I do really like the Keeneland Breeze with the regular Makers Mark, but then I like ginger beer as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:23 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
They have it online you just got to pay for it. I think the 20 year one is about 3500, there is a 10 year for 1500 but I don't know, I want to buy they 20 year one. :lol:

I'd be angry with my wife if she wasted that kind of money on a drink unless it was being dispensed from Alexandra Daddario's naughty bits.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Good luck with the Pappy. We hit the major stores around Louisville and also popped into Buffalo Trace looking for Pappy and Colonel Taylor as a gift for my BIL...they just laughed at us.

Funny how quickly bourbon took off. I remember Husky liquors in DeKalb had Pappy on the shelf circa 2010-2011. Should have pulled the trigger back then.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:27 pm 

I finished off the rest of the horrible infused stuff my BIL got me for christmas from st elmos while I was in the uber going to the haunted house. There must be something special in it to make me more handsome because one of the ghosts was getting frisky with me when I asked to take a picture, rubbing my bald spot like George Costanza with the maid.

it was a female ghost...I think

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:29 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Funny how quickly bourbon took off. I remember Husky liquors in DeKalb had Pappy on the shelf circa 2010-2011. Should have pulled the trigger back then.

either 60 Minutes or Sunday Morning had a piece on the family that makes it. They almost had to close because of lack of demand maybe 20 years ago and then BOOM...they can sell a bottle for thousands of dollars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Plus I still have half a bottle of Crown Royal I liberated from my parents house when they moved about seven or eight years ago.
Nice, Chet. Thaw out those leftover fries and crack open this bottle, and you've got yourself one hellava party!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

either 60 Minutes or Sunday Morning had a piece on the family that makes it. They almost had to close because of lack of demand maybe 20 years ago and then BOOM...they can sell a bottle for thousands of dollars

Feels like the CIA is behind this spike in bourbon interest. No other way to explain it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:47 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

The 15 and 20 year Pappy's are by far their best. The 23 I didn't care for and the 10 is nice but nothing more impressive than anything else I've had.

If you have a good relationship at your local store, you can get on their list for the allocated stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:48 pm 

I like Makers 46 a lot but I'm working down my Woodford Double Oaked first before I buy any. I also have some Basil Hayden for a change of pace with a little more of a rye component. Plus I still have half a bottle of Crown Royal I liberated from my parents house when they moved about seven or eight years ago.

But I don't drink much at home. Rarely more than a full shot a week. I do really like the Keeneland Breeze with the regular Makers Mark, but then I like ginger beer as well.

Makers is a staple on my bar. If you see the Makers 101, it's worth the buy. The nice thing with bourbon is it doesn't go bad in the bottle, so you can have more than one open (says the man with a shelf with 10-15 bottles open right now)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:50 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Plus I still have half a bottle of Crown Royal I liberated from my parents house when they moved about seven or eight years ago.
Nice, Chet. Thaw out those leftover fries and crack open this bottle, and you've got yourself one hellava party!

Please take your favorite bottle of bourbon and shove it up your fat ass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Because Louisville is a shithole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWNNx2-ZyI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:42 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
The 15 and 20 year Pappy's are by far their best. The 23 I didn't care for and the 10 is nice but nothing more impressive than anything else I've had.

If you have a good relationship at your local store, you can get on their list for the allocated stuff.

Nice. I'll check...If you come across it again I'll buy it and give you a finders fee. :lol:

good dolphin wrote:

I'd be angry with my wife if she wasted that kind of money on a drink unless it was being dispensed from Alexandra Daddario's naughty bits.

Well, add that to the list of reasons I'm glad we're not married. :lol:

It would come from my money, it's not a waste if he'd love it, and he'd never buy it for himself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:43 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I finished off the rest of the horrible infused stuff my BIL got me for christmas from st elmos while I was in the uber going to the haunted house. There must be something special in it to make me more handsome because one of the ghosts was getting frisky with me when I asked to take a picture, rubbing my bald spot like George Costanza with the maid.

it was a female ghost...I think

Did it have booooo-bies?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:51 pm 

solid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:36 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:

Very Old Barton
Rittenhouse Rye

Those are solid let me add these as well:

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond
Wild Turkey 101
Old Granddad Bottled in Bond and the OGD 114