It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Where does Mike’s Hard lemonade fit into this continuum.

In a garbage can

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:38 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Division wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
If anyone comes at me with Busch Light is a bad beer, we might have words... :lol:

Christmas beers - you really have to like spices to dig them. Fistmas is good - I tend to the IPA types like Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale too.
Love Celebration Ale.
Another good call. Celebration Ale is damn good.

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Agree. Those milkshake beers, blech.

Busch Light is also fine when its ice cold and being consumed outside. I walked 9 holes earlier this year while having a six pack and it was glorious.

I think what you’re saying is any cheap beer is acceptable if it’s cold enough and your outdoors. That’s probably true.
I think so. Four or five years ago now, my buddy had a bachelor party at his uncle's summer home on Brown's Lake in Burlington, WI. A few days before the trip, I was at Kenwood in Oak Lawn and they had 30packs of Hamms Light on closeout for $8.88. I like Hamms but had never had their light version. I figured it would be fine for drinking on the boat all day and at $20 for 60 beers, the price was right.

I caught a lot of shit when I walked up to the house with those two cases, but Saturday was incredibly hot and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Others had brought the usual (Coors, Miller, etc) but by 2pm all of the Hamms was gone. It was perfect for the daytime and sunshine.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
The Division wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Brick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
If anyone comes at me with Busch Light is a bad beer, we might have words... :lol:

Christmas beers - you really have to like spices to dig them. Fistmas is good - I tend to the IPA types like Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale too.

I love the spices of Christmas. It just doesn't work with beer. I'd much rather have those spices in a hot cider with Jack Daniels cinnamon.

Then again, some people also like milkshake stouts.

Or milkshake IPAs. :puker:

Agree with that. They are horrible.

I like Fistmas, but my BIL picks up Shiner Bock which is not so good. With regards to milkshake IPA's, it depends on the brewery. ShadowView in Woodstock had a good one as does Brickstone near Kankakee...most others are bleh.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Ok what I don't understand is this Naturday stuff or whatever it is. Back in my college days I could go over to the local gas station and get a case of Natty Ice for like 10 bucks. My stepson drinks this Naturday stuff which from what I can tell tastes like lemonade or something? WTF is that? When you are in college aren't you supposed to drink something that puts a little hair on your chest with some higher ABV? I feel like the youth of today should be given a box of straws with their Natty Lemonade.

We are in the beginning of the end of the beer era. These kids are all drinking seltzer, even the boys. Beer will be an old man drink

You are apparently too young to have lived through the Bartles and James Wine Cooler (and it’s knock-offs) era followed by the seltzer predecessor Zima (and its knock-offs).

just a touch before my time but I remember the commercials

be hard to forget Moonlighting era Bruce Willis Seagrams Golden Wine Cooler commercials.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
Harvard Dan wrote:
The Division wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Brick wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I love the spices of Christmas. It just doesn't work with beer. I'd much rather have those spices in a hot cider with Jack Daniels cinnamon.

Then again, some people also like milkshake stouts.

Or milkshake IPAs. :puker:

Agree with that. They are horrible.

I like Fistmas, but my BIL picks up Shiner Bock which is not so good. With regards to milkshake IPA's, it depends on the brewery. ShadowView in Woodstock had a good one as does Brickstone near Kankakee...most others are bleh.

I'm not a fan of Shiner Bock. Was thinking of picking up a six pack of their Christmas brew.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

I too have seen the Shiner Christmas brew and have debated picking some up. What does it compare to?

Brickstone is a solid brewery. I haven't been to the location, but everything I've had of theirs from Binny's has been top notch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I’m a BIGFAN of New Belgium’s “Accumulation” seasonal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:36 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Ok what I don't understand is this Naturday stuff or whatever it is. Back in my college days I could go over to the local gas station and get a case of Natty Ice for like 10 bucks. My stepson drinks this Naturday stuff which from what I can tell tastes like lemonade or something? WTF is that? When you are in college aren't you supposed to drink something that puts a little hair on your chest with some higher ABV? I feel like the youth of today should be given a box of straws with their Natty Lemonade.

We are in the beginning of the end of the beer era. These kids are all drinking seltzer, even the boys. Beer will be an old man drink

You are apparently too young to have lived through the Bartles and James Wine Cooler (and it’s knock-offs) era followed by the seltzer predecessor Zima (and its knock-offs).

just a touch before my time but I remember the commercials

be hard to forget Moonlighting era Bruce Willis Seagrams Golden Wine Cooler commercials.

That was my go to when hanging out with young ladies who "didn't really drink".

And I forget who brought up MGD headaches, but I haven't touched that in 30 years for that exact reason.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:05 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I too have seen the Shiner Christmas brew and have debated picking some up. What does it compare to?

Not sure so I looked it up: This old-world dunkelweizen is brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans - perfect for cracking open in front of a crackling fire.

If I can buy a single, I’ll try it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
The Division wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Not sure so I looked it up: This old-world dunkelweizen is brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans - perfect for cracking open in front of a crackling fire.

I like Dunkels, it's just the peach is a bit much.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

Last edited by Harvard Dan on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:46 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:
The Division wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I like Dunkels, it's just the peach is a bit much.

Same for me. I am pretty sure I can get a single somewhere so I’ll give a spin in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:16 am 

hide behind a stand and crack one open in the store

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Here is a tip for those who do not know,
the higher a beers IBV level the closer to room temp it should be. That is why American low content beers need to be cold to be drinkable and the heavy Stouts and ales should not be drank ice cold fromthe cooler. You should let them sit for a bit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
chaspoppcap wrote:
the higher a beers IBV level the closer to room temp it should be. That is why American low content beers need to be cold to be drinkable and the heavy Stouts and ales should not be drank ice cold fromthe cooler. You should let them sit for a bit

Is that true? A warm double IPA sounds disgusting.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:04 am 
100000 CLUB

I think when you get to the 10% and up beers, he is mostly correct. A 7-8% IPA maybe doesn't need to be ice cold, but it has to be chilled for me to drink it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
chaspoppcap wrote:

What is IBV?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think when you get to the 10% and up beers, he is mostly correct. A 7-8% IPA maybe doesn't need to be ice cold, but it has to be chilled for me to drink it.

Its why I boil my Barleywine before consuming.

I don't like, say a Belgian strong like Duval warm but the darker, higher malted boozy beers.. Yeah, maybe not room temperature but definitly not the cold IPA or lager temps. I can't remember if I liked dopplebocks cold or slightly warmer. Its been a time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:39 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
hide behind a stand and crack one open in the store

Tempting...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:42 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Its why I boil my Barleywine before consuming.

I don't like, say a Belgian strong like Duval warm but the darker, higher malted boozy beers.. Yeah, maybe not room temperature but definitly not the cold IPA or lager temps. I can't remember if I liked dopplebocks cold or slightly warmer. Its been a time.

My beer fridge is at 45F which is too warm for lagers and pils but I don't really drink those. For my Bourbon County Stouts and equivalent, stored at 45F, they warm up pretty quickly. So by the time it takes me to finish it, it's a good temp. And I normally drink my IPAs quicker than barrel aged stouts so 45F works for me.

Boiling your barleywine... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I got this from Advocate

American Mainstream Light Lagers 33° – 40° F
Pale Lagers, Pilsners 38° – 45° F
Cream &Blonde Ales 40° – 45° F
Nitro Stouts 40° – 45° F
Belgian Pale Ales, Abbey Tripels 40° – 45° F
Wheat Beers 40° – 50° F
Lambics 40° – 50° F
Dark Lagers 45° – 50° F
American Pale Ales &IPAs 45° – 50° F
Stouts, Porters 45° – 55° F
Strong Lagers 50° – 55° F
Real &Cask Ales 50° – 55° F
Belgian Dubbels 50° – 55° F

All beers should be served between 38-55° F.
Lagers are served colder than ales.
Stronger beers are served warmer than weaker beers.
Darker beers are served warmer than lighter beers.
Macro lagers are served as cold as the Rockies.
Serve beers a few degrees colder than the target temperature, to accommodate for warming from the glass and the drinker’s hands.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:20 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Brickstone is a solid brewery. I haven't been to the location, but everything I've had of theirs from Binny's has been top notch.

Brickstone is a must stop if you are in the area. The food is really good and they often have items on tap that you can't buy locally. We used to travel to Kankakee for softball regularly and that was our dinner one night.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I'm not a big Christmas brew fan but I like Shiner. Not hoppy and a pretty easy drink. I think it's good but I'm not a hop fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

What is IBV?

Is that when you just hard line the beer straight into your vein? I don’t do that much anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

What is IBV?

I think he provided a mixed metaphor of sorts, there. ABV is alcohol by volume, IBU is the measure of bitterness- they kind of track together, as more bitter IPAs typically have more alcohol content, but not always. Likewise, the higher content stouts are not usually more bitter.

Maybe IBV is the technical term for butt-chugging?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5