It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Falafel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
HawaiiYou wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Taza on Franklin St. has a pretty good falafel sandwich, but wouldn't go out of my way for it. Falafel is usually a tasteless puck of crap at most places I've tried it.

The original Pita Inn on Dempster and the Naf Naf at 355/Naperville Rd (might be RIP) had good falafel as long as you didn't do carry out.

i was just going to post about the original Pita Inn from the 80s/90s on Dempster. That shit was really good. That yellow rice was what made it perfect.

HY helped me crystallize my view on falafel, which is that it’s a vessel for some other, better food.

It’s like a baked potato or a salad…nobody likes mush inside over spiced breading on its own.

It’s somewhat edible if paired with rice, or a nice bread, or a good sauce, or sweet baby ray’s…

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Taza on Franklin St. has a pretty good falafel sandwich, but wouldn't go out of my way for it. Falafel is usually a tasteless puck of crap at most places I've tried it.

The original Pita Inn on Dempster and the Naf Naf at 355/Naperville Rd (might be RIP) had good falafel as long as you didn't do carry out.

i was just going to post about the original Pita Inn from the 80s/90s on Dempster. That shit was really good. That yellow rice was what made it perfect.

HY helped me crystallize my view on falafel, which is that it’s a vessel for some other, better food.

It’s like a baked potato or a salad…nobody likes mush inside over spiced breading on its own.

It’s somewhat edible if paired with rice, or a nice bread, or a good sauce, or sweet baby ray’s…

I never got their Falafel , but I got their lamb or beef dish. That mixed w/ that yellow rice and that small side salad they had was just perfect.

Are they still around? Food just as good?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
HawaiiYou wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I never got their Falafel , but I got their lamb or beef dish. That mixed w/ that yellow rice and that small side salad they had was just perfect.

:lol: Way to leave Antioch holding his dick.

Last edited by Nardi on Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Nardi wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

:lol: Way to leave Antioch holding his dick.

That’s nobody’s fault but my own.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:51 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
HawaiiYou wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

They bought the building next door on Dempster and moved in there into a much larger space, and kept the original dive for some sort of bakery. They've opened one or two other locations as well.

I moved away from the northern suburbs about 25 years ago, so I have only been in the new place on Dempster a couple of times, thought the food was as good as before. At one point in the late 80s that stretch of Dempster had a lot of good food - Pita Inn, the original Pooches with the original owner and his old man sitting in the corner watching the customers, the Greeks over at Chandelier who my parents knew from their previous place in Cicero, Hub's was still good then as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
HawaiiYou wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

They bought the building next door on Dempster and moved in there into a much larger space, and kept the original dive for some sort of bakery. They've opened one or two other locations as well.

I moved away from the northern suburbs about 25 years ago, so I have only been in the new place on Dempster a couple of times,

never seen so much misinformation in one post.

*Pita Inn did not buy building next door, but did by building about half mile down the road.

*original is not a bakery, but a unique Pita Inn offshoot restaurant where they try out some dishes they don't make at Pita Inn like a fish dish and some fancier lamb dish

*they've opened a lot more than 2 other locations. They have 5 in total now

*they have not moved away from the northern suburbs. There is a Pita Inn in Wheeling and one in Mundelein.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I didn't know about Mundelein. I knew about Wheeling, and I knew there was one out along 88 somewhere because it pops up on Uber Eats.

Did they move into the old Barnum and Bagel then??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
we've got a place out here in the sticks called Jamrah. I don't expect much from falafel, but they make a decent one. Their shawarma is kinda tasteless to me but their kefta kabobs are fantastic, and they've got a few good desserts. They had a good chicken dish but it seems to have disappeared.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Had some on an extended camping trip once. It was some mix thing and we made it and I found it delicious. I was also starving to death and needed about 6000 calories a day to not be starving/freezing. When I got home we went to some middle eastern place a few months later and I had some. I must of been real hungry in Alaska.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I didn't know about Mundelein. I knew about Wheeling, and I knew there was one out along 88 somewhere because it pops up on Uber Eats.

yep, they're in the Barnum and Bagel now. very nice set up, huge compared to the other places.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein

The Mundelein one opened about 8 years or so ago...on 60 in the old Krispy Kreme. It currently resides in the dead strip mall that used to have a Menards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
HawaiiYou wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I moved away from the northern suburbs about 25 years ago, so I have only been in the new place on Dempster a couple of times, thought the food was as good as before. At one point in the late 80s that stretch of Dempster had a lot of good food - Pita Inn, the original Pooches with the original owner and his old man sitting in the corner watching the customers, the Greeks over at Chandelier who my parents knew from their previous place in Cicero, Hub's was still good then as well.

BRO - We probably know each other. All those places you mentioned on Dempster I was a regular at in the late 80s and early 90s We probably been sitting next to each other back in the day and didnt know it. Amazing!

Remember there was a Burger King too right next to the original Pita Inn? I use to frequent there as well many many times for a quick fast food hit from work. My work at that time was just down the street by Crawford and Dempster.

After Pita inn or BK I use to browse for like a half hour at musicland. Just to get my full hour lunch break in. It was on the corner of dempster and forgot the other street. But it was on that same side of the strip all the places you mentioned were.

Drunk Squirrel a few years ago also use to tell me how he use to go to Flukey's on Touhy all the time. I use to too.

So I have probably 99.9 percent knew or knew of or frequeneted the same space on this earth with 3 ppl on this forum some 30+ years ago: Chet, JORR, and Drunk Squirrel.