It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:47 am 

Never have been to Dick's Last Resort but I saw this random video on YouTube going down the endless rabbit hole where the guy reviews Dick's Last Resort on Fathers day... From the video I probably would never step into that weird universe of a restaurant ever but if you want laugh I suggest watching the video. I think they have 1 location still left in Chicago downtown area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQQft2sgBM

Anyone have been to this place and how does it compare to Vegas version seen in the video?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
polster wrote:
Never have been to Dick's Last Resort but I saw this random video on YouTube going down the endless rabbit hole where the guy reviews Dick's Last Resort on Fathers day... From the video I probably would never step into that weird universe of a restaurant ever but if you want laugh I suggest watching the video. I think they have 1 location still left in Chicago downtown area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFQQft2sgBM

Anyone have been to this place and how does it compare to Vegas version seen in the video?

Mediocre,Place I used to love was Brother Jimmys also a small chain of Carolina BBQ places. They had the best deal for Sundays,all the ribs and Tap beer you could handle for $20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Granted it's been a few years and I don't always remember things but I don't recall anything happening like this at the one in Chicago. It seems to me we sat outside, ate, drank and left. No weirdness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
That was a shitty drinking "restaurant" the couple of times I was there in the late 80s. I had assumed that they had gone underany years ago, but I guess there are always a new batch of recently graduated frat boys who don't know any better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Pretty sure I went to the downtown Chicago location once shortly after I had turned 21, probably after a Cubs game or something. I don't remember anything particularly memorable about it one way or another. Honestly surprised they are still open 25 years later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:45 pm 

I haven't heard of that place for 30 years, back to the days of the Baja Beach Club.

Nothing about the place seems to have stuck out over these years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
hehe you said Dick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:18 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I haven't heard of that place for 30 years, back to the days of the Baja Beach Club.

The one time I was at Dick's was as a date for a high school friend of mine who was a 1L summer intern at a Chicago law firm, and they were doing the summer outing with the partners and some of the returning interns they were trying to recruit. Dick's was after the boat ride. The typical try to get the interns drunk approach, which my friend found pretty funny. Then they took us to Cotton Club on Michigan (this was probably 1988) to see how the interns would act in a room full of Black people. I was only disappointed that I didn't run into one of the judges who were my dad's customers at the diner, I thought that would have been a good way to strike up a conversation with one of the partners.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:37 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

The one time I was at Dick's was as a date for a high school friend of mine who was a 1L summer intern at a Chicago law firm, and they were doing the summer outing with the partners and some of the returning interns they were trying to recruit. Dick's was after the boat ride. The typical try to get the interns drunk approach, which my friend found pretty funny. Then they took us to Cotton Club on Michigan (this was probably 1988) to see how the interns would act in a room full of Black people. I was only disappointed that I didn't run into one of the judges who were my dad's customers at the diner, I thought that would have been a good way to strike up a conversation with one of the partners.

do you still have some of the leftovers ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:43 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Regular Reader wrote:

We used to go to Dick's back in the day. I don't remember it like that. It was just a massive drinking establishment.

Wasn't Baja the place that had tubs of beer at the door with women in bikinis trying to sell them to you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:44 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not the Cotton Club! That would've been right around the time Juanita and the vipers were holding court and trapping guys like Jordan. I remember thinking that I didn't have near enough money to even sit in the front where they held court.

And yeah those intern outings were liquor filled and more often than not were filled with the partners getting more hammered than the interns. Especially the 1Ls too scared to really drink with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:48 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

We used to go to Dick's back in the day. I don't remember it like that. It was just a massive drinking establishment.

Wasn't Baja the place that had tubs of beer at the door with women in bikinis trying to sell them to you?

That's the place! I got hammered and goaded into an argument with an Eagles fan.

Not knowing that Randall Cunningham, Keith Jackson and Jerome Brown were standing behind me. Fortunately I hadn't said anything insulting except about Philly fans.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:57 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That's the place! I got hammered and goaded into an argument with an Eagles fan.

Not knowing that Randall Cunningham, Keith Jackson and Jerome Brown were standing behind me. Fortunately I hadn't said anything insulting except about Philly fans.

You could have taken them. 1 on 3. A different kind of threesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:05 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

You could have taken them. 1 on 3. A different kind of threesome.

No, I think that Keith Jackson wanted to dismember me. Even when Jerome Brown started laughing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:57 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not the Cotton Club! That would've been right around the time Juanita and the vipers were holding court and trapping guys like Jordan. I remember thinking that I didn't have near enough money to even sit in the front where they held court.

And yeah those intern outings were liquor filled and more often than not were filled with the partners getting more hammered than the interns. Especially the 1Ls too scared to really drink with them.

Yeah, she was pretty amused by the whole thing. She went on to do fifteen or so years at Kirkland & Ellis during which time we lost contact with each other after I had left Chicago for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:23 am 

designed for and patronized by suburbanites and tourists

like going to a Guy Fieri restaurant in Times Square

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:50 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Eaglo Jeff can be a prick. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:14 am 

William Thomas was awesome