All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:08 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Aldi has a few good things:
- knockoff Girl Scout Samoas (Benton's)
- their cheese is pretty good
- some of their salad dressings are good
- dried fruit
- their house brand onion dip is about the same as Dean's at half the price, but I have cut out having chips in the house so oh well...
- Mamba fruit chews in the check out line are at a good price compared to other grocery stores

I have both Aldi and Lidl near me. Lidl has a decent little bakery for things like soft pretzels (usually 3/$1) and inexpensive baguettes, and they used to have good knockoffs of Nutrigain bars, but not much else.

aldi used to be trash food when i was a kid. these days theyre on par with pretty much any name brand. theyre not a crazy savings like they were back in the 90s, but still a noticeable amount better price and the quality is great.

but they dont have the variety that you sometimes prefer for various reasons. most of the time though, i default to aldi for efficiency. get in, walk less than a mile, get out. try that at woodmans.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
IkeSouth wrote:
- dried fruit
- their house brand onion dip is about the same as Dean's at half the price, but I have cut out having chips in the house so oh well...
- Mamba fruit chews in the check out line are at a good price compared to other grocery stores

I have both Aldi and Lidl near me. Lidl has a decent little bakery for things like soft pretzels (usually 3/$1) and inexpensive baguettes, and they used to have good knockoffs of Nutrigain bars, but not much else.

aldi used to be trash food when i was a kid. these days theyre on par with pretty much any name brand. theyre not a crazy savings like they were back in the 90s, but still a noticeable amount better price and the quality is great.

but they dont have the variety that you sometimes prefer for various reasons. most of the time though, i default to aldi for efficiency. get in, walk less than a mile, get out. try that at woodmans.

I started going there during early COVID lockdowns to pick up some fruit and yogurt between trips of doing Walmart curbside pickup, which had a $35 minimum. Each time in Id pick up one additional thing to try. Now I go in once a month and pick up the half dozen things I settled on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
IkeSouth wrote:
- dried fruit

I started going there during early COVID lockdowns to pick up some fruit and yogurt between trips of doing Walmart curbside pickup, which had a $35 minimum. Each time in Id pick up one additional thing to try. Now I go in once a month and pick up the half dozen things I settled on.

Dairy section is great. Milk, cheese (especially unique imported cheese), eggs and bacon. Seasonal offerings are usually pretty good as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:49 pm 

I haven't tried the bacon. I may pick some up this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:23 pm 

From what I read Aldi's version of $3 buck chuck Winking Owl Wine is made by E&J Gallo family of wines which makes such wines as Barefoot Wines, Ecco Domani, carnivor wine, and 100 other unique brands. From the reviews I saw on the various different Winking Owl Wine offerings the Pinot Grigio and Sangria have good reviews and for $3 is worth a try!

The one thing I do like about Aldi is those 1 off Knick Knack items which usually 1 aisle designated to none food items from pot and pans, cutting boards, toys, exercise equipment, etc.. They seem to be there only for 1 week or until sold out. I recall in the Summer they had some Aldi's home brand bosu ball which was originally priced for $49.99 and then 3 weeks on the shelf they put on clearance for $9.99 which was a steal for such an exercise equipment.

Last edited by polster on Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen

...but I have cut out having chips in the house so oh well...

Sounds like a Rossy press conference. Just kiddin'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:52 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:

...but I have cut out having chips in the house so oh well...

Sounds like a Rossy press conference. Just kiddin'.

Because if it's late and I'm hungry, a 1600 calorie bag of chips is an easy smash. Taking a pound of bacon out of the refrigerator and cooking it at 1am, not so much.

That said, I buy bacon for home maybe four times a year. It's just easier to order it for breakfast when I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
polster wrote:
From what I read Aldi's version of $3 buck chuck Winking Owl Wine is made by E&J Gallo family of wines which makes such wines as Barefoot Wines, Ecco Domani, carnivor wine, and 100 other unique brands. From the reviews I saw on the various different Winking Owl Wine offerings the Pinot Grigio and Sangria have good reviews and for $3 is worth a try!

The one thing I do like about Aldi is those 1 off Knick Knack items which usually 1 aisle designated to none food items from pot and pans, cutting boards, toys, exercise equipment, etc.. They seem to be there only for 1 week or until sold out. I recall in the Summer they had some Aldi's home brand bosu ball which was originally priced for $49.99 and then 3 weeks on the shelf they put on clearance for $9.99 which was a steal for such an exercise equipment.

i heard that's what Cameron Hughes wines does. Buys up all the wine the PREMIUM folks can't use and then sells it to you at huge discounts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:44 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
My wife definitely enjoys the Winking Owl chardonnay. I'm not a huge wine guy, but their Cabernet is fine as well.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.