It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
We're light on apps but one year the bird didn't cook as anticipated and everybody had another drink or two so by the time dinner was served they were like locusts. We could have gone to the 24 hr Greek restaurant or gotten burritos.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:01 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
It's a little more summery but it makes a ton and thanksgiving is a big crowd for us so everything is made in bulk.
https://www.spendwithpennies.com/cowboy-caviar/

Interesting.

As an aside...why is it every recipe I come across online now includes a wordy narrative I don't care about. Just give me the damn recipe card...I don't care that the royal you decided to just whip this together after you made lemon bars and your signature carrot cake or whatever the fuck. Do all of these idiots have to pretend they're Ina Garten on the fucking Food Network or something?

The recipe thing is totally out of control. The part you want is buried under layers of nonsense. It's part and parcel of our decadent culture. You can't just make and eat food, you need to be told a story about it as well.

It wasn't that long ago that restaurant menus had just the food and the prices listed. Now we have to be told a story about the restaurant, told a story about the food's origin, and be introduced to food philosophy of the owner/chef.

like if Springsteen were a chef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
sjboyd0137 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I think we threw out a plate of crackers with pub cheese or a cheese ball...I don't remember now...it's been a few years since we hosted.

When we are at my in-laws, there are no appetizers...they also eat dinner at like 1 in the afternoon which is mind numbing.

My family would always eat before noon so we could watch most of the first football game. Guess I've always been one to do that stuff earlier rather than later.

Ugh. At a bare minimum, when we are at the in-laws, dinner starts at halftime of the Lions game, and can be strategically finished by the time they kick to start the second half...or as has been the case when the Bears were playing, I sit at the "kids" table and watch the game on my phone...

Oof... that sounds rough. Stuck at the "kids" table? That is some first class bullshit. We aren't even doing a traditional meal this year, ordering BBQ in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:40 am 

I don't know if it is a good excuse or not but the pages and pages of dumb text is so they have a copyright on it and someone can't just copy the recipe and put it on their site or a cookbook.

Ctrl-F(find) and Search for "ingredients" and you can skip the fact that plump mommy from plumpmommy.com has kids who don't like to eat vegetables but they'll eat this stew.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:39 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
W_Z wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
and fuck you turkey trot fitness freaks

I agree with this. Get your fat asses to the gym before Thursday so you can sleep in and go to Denny’s for breakfast like I plan to. Besides a Turkey trot is a 5k? That’s not a workout. It’s a warm up.

15-17 minutes? It's a good warm-up on a cool day. Yeah, not a workout.

Dennys?!?

It’s the only way to start gluttony on the right foot.

Is that a carryover tradition from the bar hopping days of Black Wednesday?

Unfortunately thanks to this Turkey Trot I may be confined to the apartment after all. We don’t really want to cook a big breakfast but I’ll have to check our local diners to see if they’re open. The streets surrounding us are going to be closed from 7a until after 10a.