It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite salad ?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
It's a normal fall type salad, I think it came out of a 50's church recipe book thing. It usually ends up at Thanksgiving or Christmas but somebody always says it's fabulous because that was the title in the book.

2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 c sugar
about a 1/3 to 1/2 c fresh lemon juice
2 tsp mustard dijon
2 tsp salt

romaine lettuce
glazed walnuts or pecans
craisins or raisins
Swiss cheese or parm cheese you could do blue too
apple
pear
poppyseeds

you can add red onion to the salad or shallot to the dressing everybody does it a little different

Chuck's in Darien (which everyone here hates but me ) always has a nice fall salad - roasted root vegetables, feta, red onion, pecans, greenery. Good stuff. I've tried to recreate it at home to moderate success.

I don't hate Chucks, I just thought that Darien has never been as good as Burbank.

Their super salad with the grilled shrimp added is excellent.

Elsewhere, I like a good Cobb (no egg for me though) or a Santa Fe type of salad with chicken.

I appreciate that Chucks always has a salad special and gives attention to them it’s not just an afterthought

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:46 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
We have some sort of cool whip cherry orange marshmallow pineapple thing that shows up in a crystal bowl that all but 3 people have the gross reaction too. So funny what gets made. At my husband's family it's some sort of lime jello concoction. I think it has pineapple celery and cottage cheese in it. I want to say I know there is a history of starvation in Eastern Europe is this like a nod to that? but that would be rude.

No idea..but I know its gross. My father in law may actually be the only person that eats the one that my mother in law makes. Then he gives us all shit because "we don't know what we're missing"...this is the same man that refuses all salad dressing because he wants to "taste the lettuce". I don't hold a lot of stock in his food suggestions.

My wife makes that. I didn't try it even when I could possibly stomach it. That I agree wholeheartedly with HND has me a little worried though...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
We have some sort of cool whip cherry orange marshmallow pineapple thing that shows up in a crystal bowl that all but 3 people have the gross reaction too. So funny what gets made. At my husband's family it's some sort of lime jello concoction. I think it has pineapple celery and cottage cheese in it. I want to say I know there is a history of starvation in Eastern Europe is this like a nod to that? but that would be rude.

No idea..but I know its gross. My father in law may actually be the only person that eats the one that my mother in law makes. Then he gives us all shit because "we don't know what we're missing"...this is the same man that refuses all salad dressing because he wants to "taste the lettuce". I don't hold a lot of stock in his food suggestions.

My wife makes that. I didn't try it even when I could possibly stomach it. That I agree wholeheartedly with HND has me a little worried though...

That would show up at my uncle's when we would go there. Jello or cool whip or both or.. just yuck. I'm pretty simple with my salad, prefer a good blue cheese dressing or crumbles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
People get funny about their blue cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
if you don't use cold-pressed olive oil as dressing and finish the salad with truffle salt, WAYSA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:41 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Tossed was my first thought.

That 'a girl!