It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gino's East Thin Crust
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Gino's East Thin Crust is the best frozen pizza, in my opinion. Home Run Inn used to be good, but they no longer put sauce on their pizzas, like other frozen pizza makers now. Gino's East puts sauce on both their deep dish and thin crust. Gino's East also tastes fresh and not like cardboard.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
No sauce?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
pittmike wrote:
No sauce?

Yeah. I don't see a lot of sauce on Home Run Inns frozen pizzas any more.

It used to be when you went into the restaurant there was tons of sauce on the pizza. I haven't been in one for a while since they closed the location on Lake St. in Addison.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:14 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Never really thought about it, but now that you mention it you're right. Why is there a lack of sauce on most frozen pizzas?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:28 pm 

I wonder how much sauce is on a Sweet Baby Ray's frozen pizza.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:24 pm 

What’s he saying, Robin? I ask for sauce on side.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Dignified Rube wrote:
Gino's East Thin Crust is the best frozen pizza, in my opinion. Home Run Inn used to be good, but they no longer put sauce on their pizzas, like other frozen pizza makers now. Gino's East puts sauce on both their deep dish and thin crust. Gino's East also tastes fresh and not like cardboard.

Home Run Inn frozen pizza has always had an awful, gummy crust.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:24 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Do you live in the area? Why the Christ are you eating frozen pizza?

You only do that in godforsaken towns like West Lafayette.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:17 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Might need to try this. We ordered a 16” pizza last night for pickup from our favorite place and it was $26. Crazy. I usually buy a 2 pack of Home Run Inn pizzas for $14. I’d love to get fresh pizza more often but not at that price.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:04 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Motor city pizza from Costco is the best frozen pizza.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
We were talking about this last night. I feel like a pizza used cost about $16ish so if you ordered 2 or a pizza and a couple sides it'd be around $30. We're now easily at a minimum of $50 anytime we order. I don't want to order it when we have people over because the bill is easily $100 and I'd rather cook at that point. It sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:19 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:
Might need to try this. We ordered a 16” pizza last night for pickup from our favorite place and it was $26. Crazy. I usually buy a 2 pack of Home Run Inn pizzas for $14. I’d love to get fresh pizza more often but not at that price.

Are these the ones that come in cardboard packaging? I haven't had them in a few years, but the crust always struck me as being "off". The cheese was suspect, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I seem to recall the "gummy" crust being a feature of even the Home Run Inn eat in pizza as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Are these the ones that come in cardboard packaging? I haven't had them in a few years, but the crust always struck me as being "off". The cheese was suspect, too.

Is that the frozen pizza that comes in a cardboard box? Is that the question?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:11 am 
1000 CLUB

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

:lol:

I'm trying to determine if there is more than one line of Home Run Inn frozen pizza. A lot of posters here have praised it in the past, but it has always struck me as terrible, if not entirely inedible. Maybe there's a better version of the HRI frozen pizzas that I should have tried?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:11 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Yes. I think the crust is probably a matter of preference. I've made enough of them over the years where they come out just right and the crust has a bit of a crunch to it. I'll admit it would probably taste pretty good with a side of sauce to dip those last couple bites of crust and pizza into. May need to try that next time. Again, I would prefer to buy fresh and support my local pizza joint, but at $18 for a thin crust 16" and then $3.50 per topping it's getting out of hand. My stepdaughter was gone for dinner so we used it as a "date night" and had pizza and a little wine at home. Probably won't go out again for pizza until after New Years sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:17 am 

the ultra thin crust line from HRI is not gummy at all. and isn't lacking sauce either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
HRI is solid, if anything they go light on cheese not sauce. Cheese is expensive, sauce is cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:41 am 
1000 CLUB

W_Z wrote:
the ultra thin crust line from HRI is not gummy at all. and isn't lacking sauce either.

That's news I can use. :thumleft: I don't recall ever seeing that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:45 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I'm trying to determine if there is more than one line of Home Run Inn frozen pizza. A lot of posters here have praised it in the past, but it has always struck me as terrible, if not entirely inedible. Maybe there's a better version of the HRI frozen pizzas that I should have tried?

It sounds like you needed to cook it longer. Home Run Inn is my favorite but it has a quick change from undercooked to very crispy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:55 am 
1000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

It sounds like you needed to cook it longer. Home Run Inn is my favorite but it has a quick change from undercooked to very crispy.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in town and making a frozen pizza for one of my kids.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:57 am 

I don't follow the directions on the box. I turn on the oven, set it at 450 degrees and put the pizza right in. Punch in the time for about 21 minutes and it comes out really well. Everyone's oven likely cooks a bit different but that has always worked well for us. Maybe the warming up of the oven helps it somehow, just not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:05 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Brick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in town and making a frozen pizza for one of my kids.

My insider tip is that you can tell how crispy it is based on how crispy the very middle of the cheese is. If the color is the same as when you put it in it is undercooked. If it has started to turn a little brown it is done but probably not as crispy. If it is browning in the middle it will be very crispy.

I don't mind a softer pizza though. I prefer it over the thin style Chicago style pizza that can feel like eating a cracker.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:59 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Douchebag wrote:
I wonder how much sauce is on a Sweet Baby Ray's frozen pizza.
MOre then BARNEHBEE'z???

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.