It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:35 pm 

Since 2014 inflation has been 31% while all the fast food places increased prices by 39% - 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't see how these places will survive this. I got McD's the other day. I had not been there in forever, probably 2-3 years. I got 2 cheeseburger meal w/sprite it was $8 something. In 2000 it was probably $4. It was so good and worth it. I hadn't had it in a long time and I was on the go. The kicker is you multiply that by 3 or 4 and it's 30-40 dollars. It's the Panera effect for food that's less healthy. Why would you do that?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Spaulding wrote:
I don't see how these places will survive this. I got McD's the other day. I had not been there in forever, probably 2-3 years. I got 2 cheeseburger meal w/sprite it was $8 something. In 2000 it was probably $4. It was so good and worth it. I hadn't had it in a long time and I was on the go. The kicker is you multiply that by 3 or 4 and it's 30-40 dollars. It's the Panera effect for food that's less healthy. Why would you do that?

They saw what they viewed as an opportunity to jack up prices and blame it on Covid, supply chain and inflation. They took it to the extreme and are now facing pushback. The soda companies (et al.) did the same in retail. We’ll see how it plays out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:10 am 

I don't know if that's the case or not. All I know is I don't want all this crap to cost too much - there is a limit or at least a shift in spending . Figure it out people!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:44 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I just read the financial statements of McDonald’s in 2014 and 2023.

In 2014, they company owned restaurants had margins before corporate expenses of just under 16%. In 2023 by the same calculation their margins were 15.5%. Meaning, McDonald’s is making the same percent of sales as it was before all that inflation.

As I have said many times, there is no free lunch with rising food and wage costs. These are going to get passed onto consumers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Stop eating it. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:10 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Healthy eating saves a lot of money compared to unhealthy junk food heavy diets.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:35 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Stop eating it. Problem solved.

Agreed. I bought 12 burgers and fries from a and w. For my department.

140$. Not worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:47 am 

Spaulding wrote:

These fast food restaurants are pushing you to use their apps so you can get a "discounted" food items and they get to harvest your user data.. That meal you had with the app discounts would have cost around $5 with the buy one/get one free double cheeseburger and any size soft drink for $1 via the McD's app.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
denisdman wrote:

In 2014, they company owned restaurants had margins before corporate expenses of just under 16%. In 2023 by the same calculation their margins were 15.5%. Meaning, McDonald’s is making the same percent of sales as it was before all that inflation.

As I have said many times, there is no free lunch with rising food and wage costs. These are going to get passed onto consumers.

The information I found on Macrotrends shows that McDonald's had a net profit margin of approximately 31% in 2023. This compares to a margin ranging between 15% and 20% for the years 2010-15. Gross margins increased from roughly 40% to 57% over the same time frame.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:50 pm 

polster wrote:
These fast food restaurants are pushing you to use their apps so you can get a "discounted" food items and they get to harvest your user data.. That meal you had with the app discounts would have cost around $5 with the buy one/get one free double cheeseburger and any size soft drink for $1 via the McD's app.

Hmmm...Never occurred to me to use an app. I was going from one place to another and had to pick up something on the way and just pulled into the drive thru. I'll check it out next time if I remember. I'm not a phone person and hate having a full phone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
As a resident fast food fatty, every day there's a 20% off $10+ coupon on the McDs mobile app. Pull up your bootstraps and shop smarter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:44 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
As a resident fast food fatty, every day there's a 20% off $10+ coupon on the McDs mobile app. Pull up your bootstraps and shop smarter.

Why would someone put effort into anything when the alternative allows then to indulge their desire to be a victim?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
We shaming people for not coupon clipping at MCD’s now?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:32 pm 

I'm sorry that I didn't know discounts existed on the app. I've brought shame to my family. Much much shame. Tonight they will put a bag over my head and beat me with socks stuffed with Big Macs purchased thru the app.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:10 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
It's almost like some folks predicted the big increases in prices when politicians tried to buy votes with promises of big wage increases.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Last time I stopped at a Wendy's, they wanted $3.10 for a large Diet Coke. Fuck that.

Other than a couple of Friday walleye purchases at Culver's in March, I only get food from some of the Southeastern regional chains these days. Bojangles, Biscuitville, and Cook Out. Inflation has hit them as well, but $8 still got me lunch from Cook Out today - a BLT with extra bacon, cole slaw, a half order of onion rings, and a 22 oz Diet Coke.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:12 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The information I found on Macrotrends shows that McDonald's had a net profit margin of approximately 31% in 2023. This compares to a margin ranging between 15% and 20% for the years 2010-15. Gross margins increased from roughly 40% to 57% over the same time frame.

I will check on their net margin, but that is deceptive. They have two businesses- owning restaurants and franchising restaurants. The math above is on company owned businesses. I could also check the margins at franchised businesses.

The reason their overall net margin is higher is because their franchise business is not from restaurant operations. They just get fees for the franchisees use of the name and such.

My point was their restaurant margins have not changed over that time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:13 pm 

Darkside wrote:
It's almost like some folks predicted the big increases in prices when politicians tried to buy votes with promises of big wage increases.

Yup. One of three things will happen, two of which certainly have- 1) prices will go up, 2) automation will occur (self checkouts and such), or 3) jobs will disappear.

Prices went up and automation occurred. I assume jobs were lost, but I do mot have a way to verify that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
denisdman wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Yup. One of three things will happen, two of which certainly have- 1) prices will go up, 2) automation will occur (self checkouts and such), or 3) jobs will disappear.

Prices went up and automation occurred. I assume jobs were lost, but I do mot have a way to verify that.

We used to have jobs for stupid people. Sweeping floors, pumping gas, that kind of thing. Enough to live in someone's basement or a SRO "hotel." Then the Internet came along and stupid people found other stupid people and decided that they deserved the same pay as less stupid people. And the politicians decided to agree with them hoping they might be persuaded to go vote.

So their bosses fired their stupid asses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Darkside wrote:

The historical justification for low wages has been supply and demand.

At many fast food restaurants across the Northeast (and the rest of the U.S. for that matter), there is currently (and has been for several years) an insufficient supply of labor.

Did proponents of the "law" of supply and demand not expect wages to increase given the widespread labor shortages currently being experienced by the food service industry?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
portillos beef, fries and a drink cost me over $15 last week. jimmy johns sandwich they slap together in 30 seconds costs over $10. A cookie at panera costs $3.

if you want to revisit 2019, order off panera's value duet menu. they offer a handful of options which consist of a half sandwich and soup and it's $7.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:52 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I'm sorry that I didn't know discounts existed on the app. I've brought shame to my family. Much much shame. Tonight they will put a bag over my head and beat me with socks stuffed with Big Macs purchased thru the app.

I can dig it up if you want but I think in response to the US childhood poverty rate being 21% you said "that's not too bad" and now you are whining because your Big Mac cost $7.75.

You're not the cosmos. You're not a victim, although you desperately seek validation for the aggrieved life you live.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:54 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

She's the one bitching about the price. If I sat here and portrayed myself as a victim because through laziness or stupidity I didn't get a lower price on a product that literally anyone else could have with a minimal amount of effort, please be the first one to tell me to kindly fuck off. I can honestly say I would appreciate you re-orienting my perspective.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:56 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I will check on their net margin, but that is deceptive. They have two businesses- owning restaurants and franchising restaurants. The math above is on company owned businesses. I could also check the margins at franchised businesses.

The reason their overall net margin is higher is because their franchise business is not from restaurant operations. They just get fees for the franchisees use of the name and such.

My point was their restaurant margins have not changed over that time.

McDonalds third business as a landlord to franchisees is probably their highest profit margin business.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
One Post wrote:

She's the one bitching about the price. If I sat here and portrayed myself as a victim because through laziness or stupidity I didn't get a lower price on a product that literally anyone else could have with a minimal amount of effort, please be the first one to tell me to kindly fuck off. I can honestly say I would appreciate you re-orienting my perspective.

I don’t know that suggesting people need to do research before ordering fast food strengthens your point.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:32 pm 

One Post wrote:

I don’t know that suggesting people need to do research before ordering fast food strengthens your point.

That isn’t the point. The price of her Big Mac doesn’t matter. She can afford $4.00, $14.00, or $24.00. The reason we know this is because she put no effort into finding easily discounted prices. The point is that she isn’t impacted by the price of a Big Mac. She just wants to bitch like she is a victim.

Everyone is impacted by inflation. The impact of inflation to me is essentially meaningless. The impact to the single mom who works 50 hours a week cleaning houses is more than meaningful. That is someone that needs to do research to same money at McDonalds or otherwise.

Spaulding just wants to parade around here like a victim. She’s a perfect doppelgänger for DiCaro.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Darkside wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:44 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Darkside wrote:

The historical justification for low wages has been supply and demand.

At many fast food restaurants across the Northeast (and the rest of the U.S. for that matter), there is currently (and has been for several years) an insufficient supply of labor.

Did proponents of the "law" of supply and demand not expect wages to increase given the widespread labor shortages currently being experienced by the food service industry?

Did the proponents make it $20/hr in CA?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:45 pm 

Brick wrote:
Don’t worry things are actually good.