It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:26 am 

My Coach Vinny wrote:
Trappistes Rochefort #8. 9.2 ABV. Bery bery good. Pricey though.

I need to work for the company paying you the big bucks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Viccinos Pizza in Downtown Glenview.
I know a lot of you are Bigfans of Two Brothers Brewery. Saw this and thought of you guys.

Otom-Two Brothers Brewery Dinner
Where: Otom

Date & TimeStart: December 10, 2009 at 07:00 PM

End: December 10, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Event DetailsTwo Brothers Brewery Dinner

Local, family-owned and operated microbrewery, Two Brothers, will shares their latest creations at a special dinner at Otom! The microbrewery and brewpub is a family business owned and operated in Chicago's western suburbs.

This dinner is a unique opportunity to taste the innovative cuisine at Otom restaurant, paired with the flavorful blends from Two Brothers.

7:00 p.m. Reception

7:30 p.m. Five-course dinner and six beers

Admission is just $65 per person; reservations can be made by calling Otom at 312-491-5804.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
That is so like Two Brothers.

This summer some friends and I took the time and effort to attend the Hop Juice release party at their brewery (i.e. when companies usually offer up free samples/giveaways or at least discounted initial offers to draw future interest in the product). So we arrive at the party and find they had the audacity to not only charge for entrance into THEIR P.R. event but to also overcharge for food and beverages inside the event. On top of it all, if someone wanted to take home some of the "new" product, they had to pay FULL retail price for the product...product that didn't even go through the markups of a distributor and retailer.

Needless to say, they haven't gotten any of my patronage ever since. Greedy bastards :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:46 pm 

damn man. me and chus were at that same party.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:42 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
W_Z wrote:
damn man. me and chus were at that same party.

That's what I heard from your counterpart at the bowling extravaganza. Still not sure how we missed the ruggedly sideburned WZ or the ruggedly bearded (was he at the time?) Chus out there amongst the crowds :) :) :) :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:40 am 

CSFMB Guy wrote:
That's what I heard from your counterpart at the bowling extravaganza. Still not sure how we missed the ruggedly sideburned WZ or the ruggedly bearded (was he at the time?) Chus out there amongst the crowds :) :) :) :)

can't remember now if chus was bearded at the time.

did you also see the scuffle between this one anthony kiedis lookin dude and this older guy?

it was pretty funny.

you're right it was overpriced. i didn't stay long. it was also freakin cold!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
W_Z wrote:

can't remember now if chus was bearded at the time.

did you also see the scuffle between this one anthony kiedis lookin dude and this older guy?

it was pretty funny.

you're right it was overpriced. i didn't stay long. it was also freakin cold!

That event was in June, so I was not bearded (by cracky). I usually have the beard for winter, but at my wife's request I got rid of it for Thanksgiving, and have kept it clean since.

I forgot about the near fight. That guy was over-served, and it was only about 2:30 in the afternoon. He was even yelling at women, until he finally left. He definitely would have gotten his ass kicked.

Definitely overpriced. I love the beer, and the bartenders are cool, but the managers, especially the restaurant guy, are very snobby. Last spring on a week night, they had the Heavy Handed IPA release party. It was cold and raining, and they wouldn't let anyone in the building until 6 PM. When they finally opened the doors, my friend Tim and I walked in and tried to buy tickets for the limited capacity event. The restaurant manager told us we needed tickets in advance. He said, "No ticket, no taco." As we walked out, my buddy said, "Well, at least he was a dick about it."

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's in Chicago
Just got back from the west coast and experienced San Francisco's home-grown beer called Anchor Steam. Just a tad lighter than a lager, but one of the best beers I've had. Went well with the NY Strip at McCormack and ?'s. Not Schmidt's but Kuleta's on Fischermann's Wharf.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:46 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Rather than start a new thread for 2010 beer drinking, and since there is some great info in this one, I'll resume my beer drinking suggestions here.

Since My Coach Vinny Crapowski got me hooked on Two Brothers Hop Juice last year, I was anxiously awaiting its release for 2010, thinking for some reason that it would be out in Feb/March. Much to my chagrin, my man at Binny's informed me that we were looking at August, maybe June at best. :x :cry:

However, he recommended some others. So, I tried Green Flash Imperial IPA -

9.4% ABV.
101 IBU

This is an awesome beer. I wish that I had some Hop Juice to compare because I think that I may like it better. However, I think Hop Juice's hint of honey gives it a slight edge. But only slight.

Orange tinted and very drinkable. The beer has a hint of something sweet, maybe honey as well, and kind of citrusy. Very smooth.

Binny's is having a sale all month for $4.99 a bottle. As a result, when I went back to load up, they were sold out. :x :x

So, next I tried the Stone Brewing Ruination IPA, another recommended brew as a replacement -

7.7% ABV
100+ IBU

This one I didn't care for as much. More bitter and not as smooth. I also didn't get much in the way of citrus like the others. This one I got as a 6-pack of 12 oz. (for $16!! - never spent that much for a 6-pack of beer) but you can also get it in a bomber. I don't know if that made a difference in taste. Even though I've read this one is higher rated than the others, I didn't care for it as much. Still good but a distant #3 behind Hop Juice and Imperial.

I also had the Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous IPA -

8.7% ABV
90 IBU

This one is really not my cup of tea, or beer, at all. A dark brew that was very nutty, similar to New Glarus Fat Squirrel. A little of this goes a long way and took me a while to do the whole bomber. But, if you like dark beer, maybe for you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Thanks for breathing some life into this thread, it will come in handy with the
weather finally starting to turn. I posted about this in the drinky thread but
will repost some of the info here for those who happen to be in Wisconsin
and want to bring back some New Glarus other than Spotted Cow.... this
is their latest permanent fixture in their lineup.

Style -- No Coast Pale Ale
Flavor -- Bold and engaging without pretense
Alcohol -- 5.0% by volume

Daniel Carey (Diploma Master Brewer, New Glarus Brewing Company) is adept at expanding what we know (or think we know) about beer. He continues to challenge flavor possibilities unveiling "Moon Man" No-Coast Pale Ale. Dan is a huge fan of 'big' IPA's and their powerful intense aromatics. It is thought that the popularity of the poignant aromas in big IPA's are a reaction to the all too prevalent bland beers. However, these same large flavors and aromas make this particular style too intense for many. Some months ago, in well known Daniel Carey fashion, he set out to brew an idea in his head, hoping to pack all the wonderful and powerful aromatics and flavors that he loves in big IPA's into a sessionable brew that all can enjoy. New Glarus Brewing Company takes one small step, and helps all their friends take one giant leap toward bridging the gap between these two extremes. As Daniel Carey says, "If big IPA's were a reaction to bland beer, Moon Man is a reaction to extremism."

True to style, Daniel took his time ensuring this ground breaking brew is exactly what it should be. He personally oversaw the hop harvest in the fields of Washington. He spent over 6 months painstakingly perfecting the hop blend alone. Finally utilizing 5 varieties of hops, of which three are not commonly used in American style ales. "Moon Man" is dry hopped 2 and a 1/2 times as much as is commonly practiced in dry hopped beer (2.25 pounds per barrel). It is powerfully aromatic, and pale golden in color. Like most of New Glarus Brewing Company's brews, it is bottle fermented the old fashioned way, meaning there is no artificial carbonation. Don't let this one lay around, it is brewed to be enjoyed today. Bold and engaging without pretense, because in Wisconsin you do not have to be extreme to be real. Just be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Dr. Ken
If you are looking for some tasty hoppy brews check these out as well. They should have them at binnys/
This Triple IPA will knock your socks off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:53 pm 

10.0% seems kind of weak for a *triple* IPA. i've had double IPA's that are that, and flying dog's double IPA is 11.5%.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:25 pm 

W_Z wrote:
10.0% seems kind of weak for a *triple* IPA. i've had double IPA's that are that, and flying dog's double IPA is 11.5%.

They weren't going for percentage I don't think, just alot of hops. The aroma will knock your socks off. I lived in San Diego when everyone was trying to outhop eachother and the 2 best out of the ton of Double/Imperial IPA's that I had were both 8 percent. Russian River pliny the elder and Alpine Pure Hoppiness.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:35 pm 

i gotcha. i'd still try it. it's just that i'd expect to see something higher than 12% for a triple IPA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen - I'm nothing if not a hophead, so I'll have to check out these brews :drunken: :drunken:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:51 pm 

Try this guy
41 percent double ipa
Its made by brew dog and is really expensive and has to taste like hopped up cognac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
Last couple weeks I was sipping on a brew from Goose Island called Pere Jacques.

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/pere_jacques/26.php

It's a belgian style ale with a very well balanced flavor. It won't punch you in the nose or kick you in the nuts Hop Juice style, but it's very pleasant to drink. It would go well with burgers, unlike Hop Juice which should be taken on empty stomach in lieu of meal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:44 pm 

I was in the city a few weeks ago and hit Foremost on Milwaukee....Came across Half Acre Over Ale that my colleague at work had recommended. Just the right amount of hops and caramel to be an every day beer. Certainly worth the trip to pick up some.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Recently had a sixer of Lagunitas Maximus -- HUGE fan. Somewhere between a single and double IPA. Awesome grapefruit smell and taste. Very hoppy but it did not overpower. It was so good, I picked up another six last night.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:22 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
So, to rank my New Glarus brews -

1. Organic Revolution
2. Hop Hearty IPA
3. Spotted Cow
4. Imperial Saisson
5. Crack'd Wheat
6. Stone Soup
7. Yokel
8. Dancing Man Wheat
9. Berliner Weiss

As I planned my pre-Fourth of July run for the border to stock up on some beer, I discovered that they no longer make the Organic Revolution or the Hop Hearty. But, apparently, they still have some in stock in different locations.

If any of our Cheese-inclined brethren near the border have seen either of these brews, please contact your Dr. Ken immediately. In all seriousness, I am planning a run up Racine-way tomorrow or Wednesday. So, if you've happened to see those somewhere, I'd appreciate a heads up. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I need a suggestion for a good beer to cook brats in. I want to try something besides the boring ass MGD that I usually use. I have been made responsible at the family BBQ on Saturday, and I'm looking to step up and apply myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
If any of our Cheese-inclined brethren near the border have seen either of these brews, please contact your Dr. Ken immediately. In all seriousness, I am planning a run up Racine-way tomorrow or Wednesday. So, if you've happened to see those somewhere, I'd appreciate a heads up. Thanks.

They have a search on their website. Maybe you could call a couple places see if they have it. http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/BeerFinder.cfm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:37 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
I need a suggestion for a good beer to cook brats in. I want to try something besides the boring ass MGD that I usually use. I have been made responsible at the family BBQ on Saturday, and I'm looking to step up and apply myself.

Warsteiner dark brew. It only comes in a 12 pack as far as I know but I'm sure you could figure out something to do with the other 9 or 10 beers.

Spaulding - I did the website deal last year - their stock listings aren't too reliable and calling those places can be a frustrating experience (and time-consuming).

I was just looking for some first-hand, eyes on the ground as it were.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Warsteiner dark brew. It only comes in a 12 pack as far as I know but I'm sure you could figure out something to do with the other 9 or 10 beers.

Spaulding - I did the website deal last year - their stock listings aren't too reliable and calling those places can be a frustrating experience (and time-consuming).

I was just looking for some first-hand, eyes on the ground as it were.

Thanks Doc, I know the other 9 won't go to waste

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:52 am 

Here's the recipe that I used it with recently - it was very good -

3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
10-14 bratwursts, pricked with a fork
3-4 bottles dark beer
1-2 cups water
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped

Preheat the pan to high. Arrange the onion slices and garlic along the bottom of a medium stockpot. Place the bratwurst on top and then add the beer, water, coriander, caraway, mustard seeds, and ginger. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer. Simmer the sausages in the mixture for about 60-90 minutes.

Grill the sausages until the casings are crisp and golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.

--

Give those a try. The amount of beer, amount of onion, etc. varies based on the size of your pan. Use your judgement.

Last edited by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:56 am 

I am picking up a 1/2 barrel of Great Lakes Holy Moses on Thursday for the celebration of independence. I think I also have a boris the destroyer from hopping frog and a southern tier gemini.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:15 am 

Picked up a 24 oz of this raved about hop juice to see what the fuss is all about. Fantastic! for 7.50 a bottle it better be but it was well worth it. The amount of alcohol in it is outstanding and I had a good buzz going after just this 24 oz. Good stuff guys thanks for the suggestion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:31 am 

Working my way through two beers that I am enjoying

New Beligium Ranger IPA and Half Acre's Daisy Cutter Pale Ale.

Daisy Cutter is interesting as it comes in a 4 pack of cans. Lower alcohol content (5%) but pours a perfect head and the smell is incredible, lot of fruits and herbals in there. Very close to an IPA on the hop level. If you poured it for most folks, they would say IPA, not pale ale. But for as hoppy as it is, it's very easy to drink. The bitters are balanced with the citrusy flavors. Run dont walk to find this one.

Ranger is definitely one for hop heads. This beer is fairly well balanced in terms of hops and bitters but the bitters aftertaste does hang around quite a bit. Not the best IPA I've had but this one is pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Just a heads up to any IPA lovers, Bell's Hopslam is on it's way to Chicago. I absolutely love this beer. Full of hops, citrus and honey, unbelievably smooth that you don't even notice the 10% abv. The only problem is it is extremely limited. I think it sold out at the Binnys in Plainfield last year in a couple of days. Expensive too, a six-pack runs $17.49. Bell's packaged it on December 29th and 30th and I believe it is shipping tomorrow. The South Loop Binnys is having a tasting on January 13th at 5:30.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:30 pm 

I forgot about this thread. I've been going to the Geneva Ale House in Geneva alot recently. Their draft selection is very lacking, but they have a great assortment of bottles. And the food is also incredible. I would definitely recommend for all of you western suburbanites (Except John Kirk, stay the fuck away).

http://www.genevaalehouse.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 105  Next