It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:27 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Seems like a CSFMB Two Brothers Brewery Outing should be on the docket.

CoF, make it so.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:33 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

CoF, make it so.

Make sure Coast doesn't find out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Domain DuPage is my least favorite beer from Two Brothers. It's not bad, it just doesn't measure up to the other product. The all year beers are not as good as the seasonal and artisan beers. They usually have a "live beer" from a cask. This is what I usually drink at the pub.

http://casktoronto.wordpress.com/what-is-cask-ale/

My favs
Hop Juice Double IPA
Northwind Imperial Stout
Cain and Ebel Red Rye Ale
Red Eye Coffee Porter
Heavy Handed IPA.

The food in the pub is very good, as well.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
My Coach Vinny wrote:

CoF, make it so.

We should do this...but safely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:10 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
My Coach Vinny wrote:

CoF, make it so.

We should do this...but safely.

Like I said, I live within walking distance of the brewery, and I have room for a few drunks to crash and sober up.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:35 pm 

i like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:35 am 
1000 CLUB

Chus wrote:
Red Eye Coffee Porter

I'm really intrigued by this one, except at a time when my drinking usually occurs caffeine is the last thing I need. I imagine this would be a great bloody mary substitute with a nice french toast breakfast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:10 am 

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:51 pm 

Expect Two Brothers to be getting a call from Disney for trademark infringement if they ever make it big.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Chus wrote:
Domain DuPage is my least favorite beer from Two Brothers. It's not bad, it just doesn't measure up to the other product. The all year beers are not as good as the seasonal and artisan beers. They usually have a "live beer" from a cask. This is what I usually drink at the pub.

http://casktoronto.wordpress.com/what-is-cask-ale/

My favs
Hop Juice Double IPA
Northwind Imperial Stout
Cain and Ebel Red Rye Ale
Red Eye Coffee Porter
Heavy Handed IPA.

The food in the pub is very good, as well.

I'm having the DuPage now and it's good not great.

Saw Oberon on sale at Malloy's for $7.50.

Coach, that Sam's I was at had 3 cases of Hop Juice as of a couple days ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: The one I make every friday night
A beer outing sounds good.
could we possibly do something over at palmer's in lagrange as well some time?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 am 
1000 CLUB

Coach, that Sam's I was at had 3 cases of Hop Juice as of a couple days ago.

In the days prior to my last physical I would have likely had bought it all out. Not anymore though. Calorie watch sucks, my man. My mindset has completely deteriorated. The thought of 96 cals in one Miller Lite (which is THE highlight of my daily nutritional intake) gives me headaches these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Not like I just heard of this, but usually when presented with an assortment of mexican beers I end up with Corona, Dos Equis, but today had a Pcific and that is really good smooth beer. Very impressed.

Also had some Pranqster Belgium Beer on Tap at TOONS in Chicago, 7.6% ABV, get your Buzz on

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Viccinos Pizza in Downtown Glenview.
Have to pub this great summertime beer I had this weekend. From Vermont, you have to try Magic Hat's Seasonal Summer beer called "Wacko". Magic Hat's #9 is the beer you'll see most but go get this "Wacko" beer if you like a lighter, tasty beer in the summer. That is all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:05 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
buryman wrote:
Have to pub this great summertime beer I had this weekend. From Vermont, you have to try Magic Hat's Seasonal Summer beer called "Wacko". Magic Hat's #9 is the beer you'll see most but go get this "Wacko" beer if you like a lighter, tasty beer in the summer. That is all.

Magic Hat makes some good beer. I haven't had the Wacko yet, but will look for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 pm 

buryman wrote:

is there another beer you can compare it to? what's the flavor like? i'm always cautious when it comes to summer beers. i'll never made the Summer Shandy Mistake ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:57 am 

W_Z wrote:
buryman wrote:

is there another beer you can compare it to? what's the flavor like? i'm always cautious when it comes to summer beers. i'll never made the Summer Shandy Mistake ever again.

Hmmm - I think the bottle said something like beer brewed with beet juice? I didn't pour it out of the bottle but I'm assuming it has a redish color. I'm not sure if I can compare it to any specific beer. I'm getting it again this weekend so I'll try harder to compare then, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:55 pm 

buryman wrote:
W_Z wrote:
buryman wrote:

Hmmm - I think the bottle said something like beer brewed with beet juice? I didn't pour it out of the bottle but I'm assuming it has a redish color. I'm not sure if I can compare it to any specific beer. I'm getting it again this weekend so I'll try harder to compare then, sorry.

Is it Wacko or Wacky Cat?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:58 am 

Is it Wacko or Wacky Cat?

Here's is the link to there screwy website, http://www.magichat.net/wacko/ the beer has a catchy jingle, not really. Here are the brewing deats...

Yeast: English Ale
Gravity: 11.0
IBUs: 15
Alcohol 4.5%
Malts: Pale
Hops: Columbus
Extra Ingredients: Beet sugar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:11 pm 

thanks for that, buryman. looks like a tasty treat. 4.5% not bad...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:05 pm 

Magic Hat = over rated

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:45 am 
1000 CLUB

Chus wrote:
Magic Hat = over rated

4.5% is for wusses.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:12 pm 

Was at Sam's looking for the mini keg of Oberon and they were out so asked for a new recommendation. The beer guy told me about Lagunitas Little Sumpin Ale that he said was his favorite beer in that style and his go to. Figured for 10 bucks I'd take a chance. General thoughts -> this rocks. This is not an ale, this should really be an IPA. It's quite hoppy but not so much to blow you away. There is some citrus notes to it. Maybe grapefruit....it is slightly carbonated or tastes like that. It's high alcohol so I am on number 2 and starting to feel it. (7.3% APV)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:33 pm 

This might best go in the Brag about something nobody cares about thread but I suspect some of you might care. I recently raided the New Glarus Brewery and hauled back an inventory of the following -

Spotted Cow
Dancing Man Wheat
Crack'd Wheat
Fat Squirrel
Belgian Red
Hop Hearty IPA
Imperial Saison
Totally Naked
Raspberry Tart
Golden Ale - the R&D beer only available at the brewery
Stone Soup

I tasted most of them already except the Stone Soup, Imperial Saison, and Raspberry Tart. The Raspberry and Belgian Red are for the wife and come in wine bottle sizes. The Belgian has a pound of Door County cherries in each bottle. It wasn't bad but a little goes a long way for me, too sweet.

The Golden Ale was very good. I had a tasting at the brewery and then bought a couple 16 oz. bottles. It's been a while and I only had 3 oz. so I can't give a great description. I recall it having a citrus flavor but not too hoppy.

The IPA was very good I thought, very fragrant but still smooth and drinkable. I only got a 6 pack but wish I had gotten more. But since I hadn't been able to taste it, I didn't want to grab too much.

The Fat Squirrel was very nutty, go figure, but that's not my favorite type of beer. For what it was, I still liked it but wouldn't have bought any myself except it came in the sampler pack that I bought.

I'm interested to try the Imperial Saison as it is listed as an apricot and peach blend and the reviews looked very good. They didn't have it available to taste.

The new brewery there is very nice but there wasn't much activity there on the production side. If you are a fan, though, you can do a tasting of about 8 varieties in a nice outdoor sitting area in the middle of the farms of Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:47 pm 

The Fat Squirrel was very nutty, go figure, but that's not my favorite type of beer. For what it was, I still liked it but wouldn't have bought any myself except it came in the sampler pack that I bought.

Doug and I had this conversation once about this beer. I do like it, but I think it's definitely a food beer. It's not something that can enjoy just drinking out of the bottle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
This might best go in the Brag about something nobody cares about thread but I suspect some of you might care. I recently raided the New Glarus Brewery and hauled back an inventory of the following -

Spotted Cow
Dancing Man Wheat
Crack'd Wheat
Fat Squirrel
Belgian Red
Hop Hearty IPA
Imperial Saison
Totally Naked
Raspberry Tart
Golden Ale - the R&D beer only available at the brewery
Stone Soup

I tasted most of them already except the Stone Soup, Imperial Saison, and Raspberry Tart. The Raspberry and Belgian Red are for the wife and come in wine bottle sizes. The Belgian has a pound of Door County cherries in each bottle. It wasn't bad but a little goes a long way for me, too sweet.

The Golden Ale was very good. I had a tasting at the brewery and then bought a couple 16 oz. bottles. It's been a while and I only had 3 oz. so I can't give a great description. I recall it having a citrus flavor but not too hoppy.

The IPA was very good I thought, very fragrant but still smooth and drinkable. I only got a 6 pack but wish I had gotten more. But since I hadn't been able to taste it, I didn't want to grab too much.

I'm interested to try the Imperial Saison as it is listed as an apricot and peach blend and the reviews looked very good. They didn't have it available to taste.

The new brewery there is very nice but there wasn't much activity there on the production side. If you are a fan, though, you can do a tasting of about 8 varieties in a nice outdoor sitting area in the middle of the farms of Wisconsin.

I appreciate the info, Doc - I've been a fan of New Glarus' brews for awhile now and I was wondering what the brewery is like. I think I have a roadtrip in the works here...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:00 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Doug and I had this conversation once about this beer. I do like it, but I think it's definitely a food beer. It's not something that can enjoy just drinking out of the bottle.

I have 3 bottles. I'll have to try it the next time I grill, maybe this weekend.

One of the women I was up there with (don't tell my wife) really liked the Totally Naked but I don't know if I really see the point of this beer. I asked someone at the brewery about since I had never had it and she described it as an "American style" beer but I just think it is too light and not very flavorful. It's like a watered down Spotted Cow which, to me, is so much better and more flavorful but still "light" if that is your preference.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:49 pm 

Couple updates on the New Glarus brews -

The Fat Squirrel is definitely better with food. Excellent suggestion. It's still not my favorite but it was 100% better with a nice steak.

The Imperial Saison was phenomenal, Jim Rome. It is a dark golden color with the scent of beer when opening the bottle but tasting it you can get the apricot and peach scent and it almost has the finish of a champagne while still tasting like beer. It's weird but very good IMO.

I think it is a definite "must try" if you are a New Glarus person. It is part of their "Unplugged" series where they just make some for a season and likely never make it again. It's about $10 for a pack of 4 but I highly recommend if you can find it UP NORTH.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:29 am 

I'm surprised some of your beer snobs aren't teaching any of these classes offered. Not a bad idea and I'd actually want to go to this class.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/dining/chi-0806-beer-schoolaug06,0,6871194.story?page=1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 105  Next